Did your repaired Titan come back with a new serial number?

If you've had your Titan repaired, did it come back with a different serial number?

• No, I got my same serial number back.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I got a new serial number.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm now on my third serial number.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes, I'm now on my fourth serial number.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Phredd

Enlightened
Apparently their limited edition of 1000 was not really a full 1000. When a Titan is sent for repair and the electronics need to be replaced, they toss your Titan and give you a new one. They don't recycle your old serial number. It gets retired. So they must have quite a few spares on reserve.

I wonder how many people have sent theirs in for repair only to be sent on their way to flashlight heaven. And there are probably a few people outside of CPF that bought Titans.

What will happen when they run out of spares?!

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How many Titans do think Surefire sold?

I would guess very few folks would spend $500.00 on a flashlight (I think that was the going price) so they prob have a lot sitting around. You would have to contact them for that info though. I would really doubt it if they throw the defective ones out though, Unless they are making some ungodly amount of profit off of these things, and they are cheap to make.

Mike

DM51

Flashaholic

I would guess very few folks would spend $500.00 on a flashlight (I think that was the going price) so they prob have a lot sitting around.
$500 was the price, but that's the only thing you've got right. They sold out almost immediately they were released. For some time after that, they were being resold/flipped with a large premium on the price, so there plenty of people prepared to pay even more.

JeffN

Enlightened

A year ago unopened Titans were routinely selling -- not listed, SELLING -- on Ebay for $1,300 - $1,600. I was glad I had only paid a small premium for mine. Now you can find them for less than list -- so much for the speculators.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

A year ago unopened Titans were routinely selling -- not listed, SELLING -- on Ebay for $1,300 - $1,600. I was glad I had only paid a small premium for mine. Now you can find them for less than list -- so much for the speculators.

There was a guy buying them for $1000 ,he picked up 6 for sure. I sold him #0010 for $1410 on ebay............ Sure the prices have come down but it's still the Best Ti light one the market in it's class
IMO! I am looking to get another one to go with #0005 that I currently EDC . There is one on Ebay right now for $950 buy it now price and the serial number is #0007

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

They sold ALL of them, 'nuff said!
But is that true?

Going by the OpticsHQ pre-order list/thread, one would assume the initial 500 was sold out before they ever arrived at the dealers. But during the height of the speculative bidding on eBay, when OpticsHQ still had a long list waiting for the second lot, I called up another well-known dealer on a whim, and they had some available at list price.

It didn't seem like the demand for the second lot of 500 was nearly as high. I imagine they all sold, but have no idea if that's actually the case.

Regardless, it's probably a good thing they were released last year and not this year.

Illum

Flashaholic

Apparently their limited edition of 1000 was not really a full 1000. When a Titan is sent for repair and the electronics need to be replaced, they toss your Titan and give you a new one. They don't recycle your old serial number. It gets retired. So they must have quite a few spares on reserve.

IIRC users who bought the titan had issues taking it apart in one of the many disassembly threads...apparently part of the electronics is potted, which surefire rarely does for everything else we've seen so far: A2, L1, L2, KL4, KL5, KL6...

Digging epoxy out takes way more time than just sending out a new one.

JeffN

Enlightened

Sure the prices have come down but it's still the Best Ti light one the market in it's class IMO!

That's why I'm holding on to mine. Great pocket light.

I am looking to get another one to go with #0005 that I currently EDC . There is one on Ebay right now for $950 buy it now price and the serial number is #0007

Those lights have been around. I remember Goatee buying #0005. #0007 has been for sale at CPFMP more than once, and it's also been on Ebay before. The seller keeps looking for the "007" premium.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's why I'm holding on to mine. Great pocket light.

Those lights have been around. I remember Goatee buying #0005. #0007 has been for sale at CPFMP more than once, and it's also been on Ebay before. The seller keeps looking for the "007" premium.

I traded titan #0061 to Goatee of his #0005. I have seen 0007 around , your right the seller is trying to market the 0007 number for sure!

Phredd

Enlightened

If SF is holding back some for replacement/warranty work, then that would mean less were released to the open market for sale. So, there are less in circulation than thought.

After a dozen posts on the same old price issue that seems to pop in every thread on the Titan, finally someone posts a comment on topic. Thanks!

My point was exactly that. If they can't repair the electronics and they destroy the old Titans instead and they don't recycle the serial numbers, then they must have saved a good number of spares. Otherwise, eventually, they'd be unable to repair the Titans with bad electronics.

Phredd

JeffN

Enlightened
Apparently their limited edition of 1000 was not really a full 1000. When a Titan is sent for repair and the electronics need to be replaced, they toss your Titan and give you a new one.

My apologies for posting off topic.

Your statement appears to be factual and authoritatively. Could you please provide the source of this information, to prove it's not mere speculation? In your later post you also postulate that they "can't" repair the electronics. I would also appreciate a source for this information, too, other than thread speculation.

I'd like to think that my Titan is one of a smaller batch than 1,000, but accept it as presented by Surefire. Mostly I like using the light -- how do you like yours? I like the tailcap mod you did on it.

Phredd

Enlightened
My apologies for posting off topic.

Your statement appears to be factual and authoritatively. Could you please provide the source of this information, to prove it's not mere speculation? In your later post you also postulate that they "can't" repair the electronics. I would also appreciate a source for this information, too, other than thread speculation.

I'd like to think that my Titan is one of a smaller batch than 1,000, but accept it as presented by Surefire. Mostly I like using the light -- how do you like yours? I like the tailcap mod you did on it.

No problem. Yes, I did get this info directly from Surefire. And they told me that if the electronics are bad, they can't repair, only replace and the old one gets destroyed.

Thanks. I like my Titan a lot. I use it a lot at close to its lowest setting so the range is perfect. For me candle mode is an important option so I'm really happy that I was able to make that mod. I don't know what I'll do with the T1A.

JeffN

Enlightened
Wow. I don't doubt you, but that just doesn't make sense. Business sense. No wonder they held off on the T1A -- I'm guessing they had to rethink the design and/or assembly before going into mass production.

Agree with you re tailstanding. It's the one feature I use that the Titan doesn't have. In a pinch I could always attach a mini tripod I use for photography, or just fabricate a fitting that would do the job.

Phredd

Enlightened
Re: Some are repaired

I got clarification that only some are beyond repair and destroyed. Some can be repaired. And apparently they would offer a refund if it becomes too troublesome. I don't know if there's a line as to how many repairs before they offer a refund, but they did offer me a refund. Of course I declined!

Phredd