Disappointed in my new Surefire E1L and L1 ... UPDATE!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Disappointed in my new Surefire E1L and L1 ...

I too have seen more variation in the beam quality and tint from "other" manufacturers than from SureFire.

Unless white wall hunting, in outdoor real world situations, you won't notice much of a difference unless compared side by side, but even then very little.

What would be nice is if manufacturer's offered premium versions of their lights so if you want say a Q5 WC you just pay an extra $10 and you are guaranteed a Q5 WC. Then for the masses they get what they get and most people probably wouldn't notice the tint variations.

While it would be nice if all manufacturers could use premium bins, there probably aren't enough to go around, so they are forced to use the less than ideal tint bin Cree's to meet the demand for their product.

I just wanted people to be aware that Cree's are sorted by tint and assigned a tint code, but if you buy a light that doesn't specify the tint code (WC, WD, WF, WG, etc), then it is a lotto, but that's not Cree's fault. I'm not saying I have a problem with manufacturers not telling us the tint bin, I'm just trying to explain how there are different tint bins and if you buy a certain bin there isn't much of a lotto and you get what you expect to get, especially in the premium bins like WC that have the least amount of tint variation. That's all. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I have two 7xCree lights with LEDs from the same bin. When looking at the single emitters, they are all somewhat different in tint.

I agree with TIN ... Cree is bright and nice, but for tint issues we've taken quite a few steps backwards. Tint king is still the LuxIII IMHO.

Fortunately I don't care about tint, so this doesn't concern me personally, but I can feel for you guys caring for tint :p
Must be torture.

bernie

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two 7xCree lights with LEDs from the same bin. When looking at the single emitters, they are all somewhat different in tint.
bernie

Bernie, do you know what tint bin those 7xCree lights are using? Some of the bins have more variation than others. I've yet to see a WC bin Cree be anything other than cool white like it should be, but there can be subtle differences, but not to the point a WC bin will be green, or purple, etc. Although if someone has experienced that, please share. :)

There is room for improvement obviously, and hopefully they'll be able to make LED's in any tint they want, in mass, like Lumileds is doing with that TTF (?) coating that is supposed to reduce tint variations, or eliminate them.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

One light is a 7 x Cree XR-E Q5 WC and the other a 7 x Cree XR-E P2 of unknown tint. The WC light shows variations fromo somewhat bluish to warm, but there isn't anything disturbing in it.

Even the whitest of the whites do have a tint ... when shining two LED lights at a wall, there will always be a difference. Not that it mattered :D

I admit though that the thought of loosing an advantage we already got with the LuxIII is disturbing. I never found the V1 "vanilla white" tint I loved so much with the LuxIII in the new Cree and Seoul lights. It was such a sexy color. :)

bernie

Billman730

Newly Enlightened

Outside I thought my E1L was the same as the new E1 as far as tint color but home on a white wall there is a slight difference I would never have noticed had I not read this thread. But outside is where the lights earn their keep and they both are great to use. just keep the spare batteries warm...

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with the tint on my first Cree L1 that I bought from a local Bass Pro Shops. While it was an inconvenience since the store is so far from me I had no problems exchanging it for another one and it has a great tint to it. It seems to me that premium flashlight manufacturers should set certain parameters for what an acceptable tint range is and measure each one prior to shipping. Obviously Surefire tolerances are not tight enough. While this may add a few dollars to the price of the light I think it would save them money in the long run by not having to deal with returned lights. I realize that controlling tolerances during the manufacturing of and LED is still a shot in the dark at best. Measuring said tint after the fact is not. While some may argue that an acceptable tint is a personal preference this can also be addressed by simply setting standards (warm,cool, tint temp. etc.) and labeling the package as such so that you know what you are getting. HDS seemed to get it right on when they offered their guaranteed tint or GT EDC lights of which I own two. No reason other than cost everyone should not offer this. I expect a $7.99 light to have tint issues but not one that costs over $100.00.

Juicespeare1

Newly Enlightened
update: Disappointed in my new Surefire E1L and L1 ...

Got an RMA for both lights today.

The gentleman on the phone was very nice and stated it might take awhile while they check each light and get a good replacement for the tint.

No problem, my son is using my old E1L at the moment.

As soon as I get the replacements, he'll get the new E1L, I'll keep the L1 and get my old E1L back.

We also have a couple of Fenix P2D's around the house, my son has one and my wife has my old P2D Q2 while I'm carrying the T1 at the moment.

When I get the L1 back, that will be my EDC. My son will probably carry the new E1L as EDC and my wife will carry her P2D Q2 for EDC.

Kinda funny how she's now in the mix with flashlights and knives.

I first get something neat, then my son wants something, so I buy something new, then he gets the old one, then my wife sees what we have and wants the same. I give her mine and get something new.

She now carries a P2D Q2 and a Camillus Heat for EDC.

Life can be strange.

She just makes comments like, "Hey, that's a bright little flashlight. I could carry that in my purse, it's so small."

"Hey, that's a neat knife, it opens so easy. I could carry that in my purse."

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Re: update: Disappointed in my new Surefire E1L and L1 ...

Hmm...let's see. With similar comments, my wife has taken over the following:

- A SF 6P LED
- An Inova X1 (latest version)
- An Inova XO3 (latest version)
- A SureFire E1L/KL1
- A 642 J-Frame
- A Glock 23
- My target Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel and scope
- A Kahr CW9
- one of my M4geries
...and that's just for starters. So, get used to it. It could be way worse.

-Steve

She just makes comments like, "Hey, that's a bright little flashlight. I could carry that in my purse, it's so small."

"Hey, that's a neat knife, it opens so easy. I could carry that in my purse."

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hhm, in my experience, Crees have been more reliable in tint predictability than Seouls. When they're bad, my Crees are usually green and my Seouls are usually purple.
Seouls turn purple when they're overdriven and overheat. The change is very obvious if you have a variable source for experimenting. That might be the reason for some if not all the purple Seouls you might have seen.

c_c

KenAnderson

Enlightened

Last night I put the E1's I own thru a rigorous mission. A rail snapped just coming off a bridge at the point the land takes the support of the track and it was a mild 15deg night. I found the rail at 7:30 but there was no available help as everyone was watching a football game. So I stood near the break and watched many trains pass at walking speed over it. Using my old E1 with the fish eye lens clipped on my hat brim as a main light I could see the wheels jump from one side of the break to the other. I had my trusty SF Digital [the one with the 6 light settings] around my neck so I could see where my feet were going and any heavy use as needed. I took out the newest E1 I bought with the flat lens and the new diode and head style. A noticeable improvement can be seen quickly over the old trusty E1! A larger diameter spot just as brite white as any light I have could be seen. I will pick 2 more E1's up this week or the new head at least. I use E1's every time I work at night and carry 2 with me all the time. Finally at 4am the track gang showed up! As work began it was obvious they needed my light support. I don't work in the track dept so I could sit in my truck as they work but having so many good lights I was compelled to get out and assist. LOL So I gave light support and after the new rail was cut in and bolted up for now it had moved to 7 am. I had used 17 batteries from a new box stored in the glove box.

A side note: batteries taken from my inside shirt pocket where they were "warm" lasted a LOT longer than cold glove box batteries! I may go to a battery holder inside my shirt when working cold nights. A box of batteries is small change when 16 hours OT pay is involved so I don't include it in my evaluation of the nights work. I am sure the Surefire lights assisted greatly in the job going safe and smooth and was thanked profusely by the Guys. Knowing the mighty Titan was inside my shirt ready to go made me laff a bit after it was over. With my one spare battery I try not to use it when other gear is available.
Later..

Billman730,

Very cool story about light use. Sounds like they were lucky you were there and assisting. Very cool.

Ken

Zenster

Enlightened

Billman730,

Very cool story about light use. Sounds like they were lucky you were there and assisting. Very cool.

Ken

+1

If he hasn't already, Billman needs to send that story to Surefire to be included in their "Real Life Surefire Stories" section.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never found the V1 "vanilla white" tint I loved so much with the LuxIII in the new Cree and Seoul lights. It was such a sexy color. :)

bernie
Oooh, the V1 tint. Amen brother!!! I LOVE the LuxIII V1 tint.:)

cv3po

Banned

Finally at 4am the track gang showed up! As work began it was obvious they needed my light support. I don't work in the track dept so I could sit in my truck as they work but having so many good lights I was compelled to get out and assist. LOL So I gave light support and after the new rail was cut in and bolted up for now it had moved to 7 am. I had used 17 batteries from a new box stored in the glove box. quote]

Wow, that was nice of you! Call me a d**khead but I'd be sending them a bill bill. The track gang don't carry their own lights :thinking: . If I went through 17 cr123's helping a crew who should obviously carry their own lighting I'd be thinking reimbersement. Of course, you might make $25-40 an hour plus OT so then it's worth it just for the fun right? Good story tho, I just love having an opportunity to be around when someone says (does anyone have a light?)! We just smile and do our thing :grin2:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Add me to that list. I modded my PT EOS with as SV1H and refuse to upgrade it to SSC for fear of losing that tint. If they come out with a consistant duplicate in SSC and/or Cree, I will be sending a few (OK, a lot of) lights out for upgrades.
Oooh, the V1 tint. Amen brother!!! I LOVE the LuxIII V1 tint.
I admit though that the thought of loosing an advantage we already got with the LuxIII is disturbing. I never found the V1 "vanilla white" tint I loved so much with the LuxIII in the new Cree and Seoul lights. It was such a sexy color.