Do european cars use 12v cig lighters plugs?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey these third world countries in europe might not even have cars

But on a more serious note - Peter is right - same thing

Klaus

Willmore

Enlightened
Ya' gotta' go *way* back in time to find a British car with 6V, so, unless your car is owned by some odd collector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, when I was in europe last--Germany and Austria--everything was 12V. My european made car is 12V. So, I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be in Eastern Europe! 2nd world perhaps?
Thanks for the info, everyone.

Now I just have to figure out which lights to bring.
I sure wish someone made a small 1AA 3 or 4 LED headlamp.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is hard to find a car that isn't 12 Volt negative ground at this point. What I have noticed is there seem to be two sizes of cigarette lighters however. The vast majority in the USA seem to be one size, but I noticed the Plug that came with a Engle refrigerator had a different (larger diameter by about 2mm), however it also came with the smaller tip that could be swapped. Engle is Japanese, so I don't know if the larger size is typical of Asia, or where..

(BTW, and Engle fridge is a real one, not thermoelectric, compressor, the smallest weighs about 30 pounds, and in an hour can covert a 2 liter softdrink bottle to a block of ice). they have a thermostat, otherwise they can and do freeze things with remarkable speed.)

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were only a few (mostly) British cars with plus on ground and 6V cars are very rare (VW has been 6V upt to mid 60ies). As we have strict laws about checking the cars yearly (in most countries), these cars disappeared from the roads.
BTW, Engel is German. The have/had a very relyable oscillating linear motor compressor.
I had never any problem with the different 12V plugs, although some of them fit only a little bit loose and needed attention. I charged my caving lights all the time in the US in the car.
And the first world is Europe (were 100 miles is a long distance), the second are the Americas (were 100 years is a long time).

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
Klaus>I didn't know there where any third world countries in Western Europe. When did that happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just joking

Rant mode on

the question reminded me of one Q last year when a guy asked if AA batteries are avaiable in europe - we explained him that such last centuries technology isn´t used anymore here and that newer cell technologies can´t be exported to underdeveloped countries like the USA - it all comes down to sometime anger and sometimes a giggle when what I consider the typical US centric view shows its ugly head on CPF where usually a much different audience (and an international too) exists.

rant mode off

Yes, we do drive cars, we do have electricity, we have 12V car plugs, we even drive on the right side of the road except on some excentric isolated islands - and we even have AA cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Klaus

L

LITEmania

Recent Hyundai car has two cigar jacks. ( Third one you can find inside of trunk. It is good for vacuum cleaning...)

More people uses a cigar jact not for smoking. But for charging mobile phone, and another one for GPS-navigation.

Further, even here we have so many inverter kit to get 220V available from the cigar jack.

Things are going tooo fast in developing country....