-Do LED's need to be run for a while to "break" them in?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an ex sound guy I understand breaking in new speakers, I just can't handle the weekly running as being fact.

Norm

[h=3]RUNNING-IN PERIOD[/h]
A loudspeaker is a mechanical device and as such requires an extended initial period of normal use during which you will notice a gradual improvement in sound quality. Wear is not a problem with DALI loudspeakers. Regular use will only extend their lifespan.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
OF COURSE
a led needs a "running in" period ...
:rolleyes:

... by doing so, one can "check", if everything (= the thermal path, mainly) is good ...
... if "anything" happens doing so, that simply is proof that the construction is not good ...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Comparing an LED chip to a speaker,,, is like comparing a CPU to a 2-way radio

Apples & Oranges

Norm

Retired Administrator
Let's get back on topic and nix the audio discussion, I know I'm as guilty as every other off topic participant. - Norm

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the responses. I have a diesel pickup and I know first hand that they run better after they are broken in (15K). Now back on topic. :)

I was told that an LED should be broken in or run for at least 10 hours (Not all at once) before the tint and the maximum effectiveness or brightness of the LED comes true. I guess there is no definitive answer on this.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a lot of confusion in here.

I studied electronics and never heard of any electronic component needing a "burn-in" period except very old stuff. Some equipment that deliver a lot of heat might need to be run gradually for a certain time at first so the sprayed-on protective layers evaporate a bit or perhaps to help thermal paste set in, thus letting heat escape better (yea, mostly sound systems of old... don't know about the recent stuff) Also, most electronic boards that run at a certain temperature can give off a certain typical electronics smell at first (mostly due to the protective layer evaporating) and that smell will go away with normal use. I have heard people wrongly call that a "burn-in" period. BTW, speakers and headphones are electro-mechanical devices, not electronic, and therefore obey different laws. (sorry for bringing that up again, but I had to say it)

It is possible an LED could change tint, but that will also happen with normal use. All electronic components that deliver a lot of heat will have a slight change in characteristics at first (as in input voltage/current current, but mostly output, both of which could affect the spectrum delivered by an LED to a certain degree) and lose power over time (mostly due to heat and sometimes because of high currents), but that will again happen with normal use. There is no need to burn electronic components in; you're just shortening their life for no reason. Also, LEDs do emit a bit of UV light which could affect the phosphors used and therefore affecting the tint, but that would happen over years if at all.

BUT... The original question was about LED drop-ins... If it is true that some need a burn-in period, I suggest that perhaps running them for an extended period of time at first helps expand the outer casing, which is made of softer heat-dissipating metals and let the drop-in take the shape of the host for a better thermal transfer? If that's the case, a specific range of runtime should be used: not too short else nothing will happen and not too long since the heat dissipation is not optimal yet. Gotta be a pretty hot drop-in, though...

Last edited:

inetdog

Enlightened
For electronics with a high reliability requirement, a burn-in is often done at the manufacturer to weed out semiconductor parts which are in the early failure side of the "bathtub curve".
But that is done at normal or stressful conditions, not at controlled reduced load to "break in" parts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
As far as I understand it, as long as the LED is being driven within voltage, current, and temperature specifications, there shouldn't be much, if any, tint or brightness shift after after running for any length of time. Sadly, in the real world this is not always the case. The LED phosphors can be damaged from over current and voltages which often cause a shift toward the warmer end of the color spectrum at the sacrifice of brightness. Flashlights with poor heat-sinking of the LED module can also cause the same damage. So with many flashlights you will observe a shift in tint over time but I can guarantee you it wont be *quite* as bright as when you first turned it on, whether the tint shift was in your favor or not.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
im interested in this , reducing foward voltage would increase your brightness yes ?

Yes, if it's being direct driven. It will increase runtime on current-controlled drivers, with no effect on brightness.

Latest posts