do you over clock ya cpu?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have to . i love it to get more for less i have a amd 3000 barton it should run at 2147 mhz...it runs at 2570 mhz thats faster then a amd 4000.even with the reduced cache i think i can beat it good.why i like it is i can get 5 of my cpus and a cheap mobo for the price of a 4000..i can make it faster if i better heatseat and add more voltage i like to stay close to stock voltaage.im complety stable to my pc never crashes and i use it at 100% all day

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not worth it anymore now a days. The only cpu intensive apps for me are audio/video compression which are done overnight. On the other hand if I loose what I'm currently doing that's gonna be $$$.

Used to do it with all those Thoroughbread core though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a northwood p4 instead of prescott just so I could O/C it. I do sometimes, but most of the time I don't need to.
I have an MSI planium MB and it has software right from windows where you can change the clock.. Very cool!! Without upping the voltage I can get my 2.8 800mhz fsb p4 to 3.1ghz.

It's running the stock intel HS/fan, but I lapped it mirror smooth and used Artic Aluminum grease instead of the wax pad that was on it. (I had the AA b/c of flashlights no less!) Heh.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never harmed a cpu by overclcoking that i can recall. and i fold which is very cpu intenesive and i also video edit but i do see ya point if ya dont need the xtra speed why do it. lol i think i had my 2100 tb to like some insane speed i forget. but one day them felt pads came off and i was in a hurry putting on heatsink and craked the core man i felt dum.i think i overclcok for the thrill to lol.i so want a little more here or there.imagine a amd running at 3000 mhz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i outgrew overclocking after i drug my watercooled tower up the stairs at my friend's house one day.

Shane

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
I got a northwood p4 instead of prescott just so I could O/C it. I do sometimes, but most of the time I don't need to.
I have an MSI planium MB and it has software right from windows where you can change the clock.. Very cool!! Without upping the voltage I can get my 2.8 800mhz fsb p4 to 3.1ghz.

It's running the stock intel HS/fan, but I lapped it mirror smooth and used Artic Aluminum grease instead of the wax pad that was on it. (I had the AA b/c of flashlights no less!) Heh.

[/ QUOTE ]lapping realy helps.i try to end up with like 2000 grain sandpapper if i recall

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I used to overclock my P3/450 when I was running Win98. I got it to ~510 MHz before I reached the limit of my memory/PCI bus/processor/whatnot. It was stable enough and was enough of a boost to be able to jump from 800x600 to 1024x768 in Half-Life with software rendering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After I upgraded to Windows 2000, I noticed some "funny" behavior and the system would BSOD on me almost as often as 98 liked to crash... so I set it back to stock bus speeds and it was incredibly solid after that.

So... I don't overclock any more. I can gain more from software optimization than I can from tweaking clock/bus speeds.

nexro

Enlightened
Currently using a P4 2.4C @ 3.0 GHz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Too bad the overclocking potential of my CPU is limited by my DDR333 RAMs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Anyhow, 3.0GHz is good enough. My pc is on 24/7.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
g idle ya fold pretty fast for haveing one pc good oc nexro.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not folding with the P3/450 - that rig is mostly powered down these days (noisy thing anyway).

I've never experimented with overclocking my current rig and I'm not really inclined to. 2.08GHz stock on my XP 2800+ is allright with me.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't buy a cheap Northwood on ebay because the !@#$%^&* overclockers bid them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do on my older systems just because they're toys for experimenting more than they are workhorse systems. My main PC is set to normal, as it's mission critical and I can't afford to have ANY problems with it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I overclocked both my PII-450 and the Powerleap 1.4 GHz Celeron that I replaced it with by increasing the FSB speed from 100 to 112 MHz. I tried 133 MHz but it was a no go. The system has been running stable at 1568 MHz 24/7 for the last 13 months. Intel processors in general overclock better than AMD. The AMDs are usually very close to their limits even at their rated speed while Intel has a more conservative rating system.

unnerv

Enlightened
I have my P4 northwood 3.0ghz overclocked to 3.5ghz on stock voltage in a shuttle XPC. Temps are 29-30c idle, 42c when playing doom3 or Halflife 2. My buddy who watercools has his northwood 3.0ghz upto 3.9ghz. His box is a screamer.

nexro

Enlightened
Newbie,
wow, how much does your electricity bill come to? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Nice heatsink too... and heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
Intel processors in general overclock better than AMD. The AMDs are usually very close to their limits even at their rated speed while Intel has a more conservative rating system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to disagree with you there, as the processor market stands today. I'd say the AMD's and Intel's are fairly even on overclockability. Due to heat concerns, the Northwood P4 is more easily overclocked when compared to the prescott when using air cooling only, so I took a look at some of those. One particular person bumped their 3.0 Ghz Northwood up to 3.7Ghz (using Air cooling only).
Now, an AMD '3000' Barton core (not the AMD 64 model) runs at 2.16 Ghz and would be comparable to the Pentium 4, 3 Ghz. As the AMD's do more 'work' per clock cycle, the AMD runs at ~70-71% of the Pentium 4's clock speed. Equivalently, a 700 Mhz jump for the AMD is not required to remain equal, in terms of performance. In fact, if you keep the same ratio of 70%, then the AMD only requires a 490Mhz jump. That's using the XP core, not the 64, which is a bit more efficient. (As raggie mentioned, the AMD 64 '4000' runs at 2.4Ghz)

If you stray into the more exotic methods of cooling (LN2, Dry Ice, Peltier's etc) then you see that both manufacturers remain about equal. (I've been using "VR-Zone Hardware"s overclocking databases for these numbers, by the way)
The fastest LN2 cooled AMD XP Barton Core that they have recorded, runs at 3058 Mhz. Using the same 70% ratio, a Pentium 4 would require a 2075Mhz bump up, to maintain the same performance ratio. Incidentally, the highest LN2 cooled P4 Northwood (originally at 3.2Ghz) runs at 5125 Mhz, which is slightly less than 2,075 above it's stock speed. I'm not saying one is better than the other by any means. Disregarding the Prescott "Flame-Thrower", as it has been called, I'd say the Intel and AMD's are fairly equal in terms of overclocking possibilities. Obviously I've used a fairly unscientific method for estimation, but I don't think it strays too far from reality in this case.
[/offtopic] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't overclock. What I want to know is this. How much faster is a 2.4 Northwood with a 800MHz FSB than one with a 533MHz FSB?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i have a 2800+ t-bred...2.25 GHz stock and 256KB L2 cache. as opposed to what u get now is the 2800+ bartons which are 2.18 stock and 512KB L2 cache. well. i have the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo...basically considered the best socket A mobo ever and supports 400fsb. Nforce2, so it has a built in AMD unlocker for the CPU, i just upped all my 1GB RAM from pc2700 333mhz, to pc3200 in an attempt to be able to run 400fsb and drop the multiplier on the cpu a bit to synch it with the ram. but it doesnt work well. even if i drop the multiplier low enough to match the stock 2.25GHz the 400fsb doesnt take..freezes a lot. the ram can take it. so i dont really know now. maybe up the voltage on the CPU, my proc runs at 42 degrees idle and about 46-47 at full load after many hours of DOOM3 on stock.

to tell you the truth, i agree with modamag, few people really need the 3.6ghz or whatever. most graphics take VPU power and speed and video RAM. my 9800 Al in Wonder Pro hauls along nicely. and the biggest thing is hard drive speed. i have a dual 10K sata raptor raid-0 array and it flies. here is an HD-tach comparison to my fastest 40GB western digital to the raid.

diff.png

that and the 512MB to 1GB have made an enormous difference. night and day. much larger than i would have seen with any reasonable CPU upgrade or increase in clock speed.

so i dont think that clock speed is really a bottleneck for most applications short of running pure math or calculations like SETI screensavers or mass video or audio encoding.

2.25 ghz is plenty for me, although i'm sort of bummed that i couldnt get my RAM up to pc3200 ram to 400mhz ddr status by raising fsb and dropping multiplier on my cpu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Leeoniya

Enlightened
damnit, raggie33, you stole my scrat icon idea...hehe, i actually got the short scrat segment off a longer DVD clip and pulled it out then used Jasc Animation shop to take out the sky background and relooped it backwards...then turned it into a gif...all for an AIM icon, but aim has a 50kb limit as i found out too late...thanks AOHell. only trillian now. still turned out to be a cool little op.

my scrat moves, heh. once is a while. but it was all worth it. i didnt want too much movement cause it would have been annoying.