Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
the wire seems pretty wimpy for keychain carry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most would probably agree with you on that.

The Dorcy 1AAA is too big for keyring carry for me - so those aren't issues for me.

The main purpose of that wire (I think) is to limit the travel of the tail-switch button to have a lock-out/OFF feature.

Some people have removed the wire altogether for better tail-switch activation.

However I had some problems with one of my Dorcy 1AAA - and blamed it on the tail-switch - after a bit more time and experimentation I found it wasn't the tail-switch at all.

Please see this thread:
Dorcy 1AAA tail-switch Problems?

Aten_Imago

Banned

RE " Of course if I were to have the flashlight in my pocket to be run over by a truck I'd use the ArcAAA -
but take it out of my pocket first "
ROLFLOL ! That had me in stitches!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I Love My Dorcy 1AAA - my home ENC. 4 weeks since buying it, it's still running on the original battery

jbrett14

Enlightened

With regards to the wimpy keychain wire: I have not used it on a keychain, but I gave one of these lights to my 6 yr. old boy who loses everything. So I tied a cotton shoelace to the wimpy wire so that he could keep it around his neck. He is pretty rough with things, and it has been in use for over a month now of daily use. It has not come apart or shown signs that it will. I am actually surprised, but the wimpy wire must work better than it appears that it would. This light appears to be 6 yr. old boy proof. It is not 3 yr. old boy proof though. He tends to want to unscrew it. For him, the 20\$20 County Comm works great.

paulr

Flashaholic

With the CMG Sonic on closeout at $10 or so at a couple places, the Dorcy 1AAA at $6 doesn't seem all that attractive any more. The Sonic is basically the same size as the Arc AAA, though its build quality is more like the Dorcy's. Its small size makes it much nicer than the Dorcy as a keychain or tuck-away light.

jbrett14

Enlightened

Paulr: why is this light on closeout? Is it discontinued?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jbrett14 said:
With regards to the super-strong keychain wire: I have not used it on a keychain, but I gave one of these lights to my 6 yr. old boy who loses everything. So I tied a cotton shoelace to the steroid-pumped wire so that he could keep it around his neck. He is pretty rough with things, and it has been in use for over a month now of daily use. It has not come apart or shown signs that it will. I am actually surprised, but the titanium wire must work better than it appears that it would. This light appears to be 6 yr. old boy proof. It is not 3 yr. old boy proof though. He tends to want to unscrew it. For him, the 20\$20 County Comm works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, heh, heh...i get yer point! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

paulr

Flashaholic

Jbrett, I think a few dealers are closing out all CMG-labelled lights because the new versions will have the Gerber logo instead of CMG. And, I think the Sonic was never popular here on CPF, because we like the Arc AAA so much better.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I think the Sonic was never popular here on CPF, because we like the Arc AAA so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

and some of us liked the Dorcy 1AAA even more.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbrett14

Enlightened

I too like this little Dorcy 1AAA. The more I use it, the more I like it. It seems to be just the right size. Not too small, and fits in the hand very well. I now have 9 of them placed all over. The other night, after leaving a friends, it was very dark and rainy. Me and another friend had to cross the front water-soaked lawn to get to our vehicles. I simply pulled out my Dorcy 1AAA out of my coat pocket, turned it on to guide the way, and my friend says "Man, that's a bright little bugger".

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am disappointed in the 1AA Dorcy. Got one when they first came out. After about 3 weeks of use the tailcap button started to malfunction. It wore out rather quickly. I agree it is a great inexpensive buy, but I feel it is made for moderate use [keychain/glovebox?] Otherwise it is the Photon, Arc AAA, or Ultra for me.

wualta

Newly Enlightened

Who's selling the Sonic for $10?

By the way, I'll throw in an upraised thumb for the Dorcy. My tailswitch is finicky-- there are positions where the switch won't retract fully after being pressed and the light stays on-- but it's a very handy little light. Best of all, it's in the retail world where exchanges and refunds are much simpler and quicker.

Aten_Imago

Banned

Hot Tip- I don't know if anyone has posted this yet...but I just discovered this RE Dorcy AAA. To get the tailswitch 'optimized' or 'tuned'...
1) Turn tailcap anti-clockwise way past 'OFF'
2) With the switch button depressed, turn the tailcap clockwise untill the light comes on.
3) turn another 1/4 turn (90º) clockwise and violla !
That's the optimimal position.