DORCY AAA IS ALL YOU NEED IN LIFE

archangel080

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone post a link to that magical flashlight? I would love to get the one that will stop all my spending.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:
All ya need, eh? Hmmm...

Questions:

1. Will that cute little Dorcy light-up/stop-in-its tracks a hungry Pit Bull (escaped from the local meth dealer's back yard) while you're walking home from some lovely candle-lit peace vigil?

2. Will that cute little Dorcy handle the recoil from your Colt .45 ACP/S&W .357 when you decline to make an Involuntary Contribution to that pack of, umm... poor, socially-disadvantaged muggers who jump you in the dimly-lit reaches of your WalMart's parking lot?

Been there/Done that. Speed-dialing 911 didn't work. And Billary and the "Village" never showed up.

Out in the non-hermetically sealed Real World, the Tooth Fairy frequently takes a night off.

And that's why SERIOUS tools were invented. Flashlights included.

For life.

Well said, bro.....

Anyway, how much do these Dorcy 1AAAs' cost?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
lightningbug said:
Check out WalMart for the Dorcy, and go through the pegs to spot a Black one. Although in the new packaging, and even labeled "with a magnifying lens", the Black ones in the few stores I've checked are of the reflector type.

K-Mart is another good source, that's where I picked up my black Dorcy; just like the one described above. For a few weeks I carried a blue Dorcy with the dome lens.... The black is definitely better!

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Just to play devil's advocate...

TonkinWarrior said:
All ya need, eh? Hmmm...

Questions:

1. Will that cute little Dorcy light-up/stop-in-its tracks a hungry Pit Bull (escaped from the local meth dealer's back yard) while you're walking home from some lovely candle-lit peace vigil?
No, but your M6 won't either. Lights do squat for animals as has been discussed in a number of threads. Better have the Colt in your next question.
2. Will that cute little Dorcy handle the recoil from your Colt .45 ACP/S&W .357 when you decline to make an Involuntary Contribution to that pack of, umm... poor, socially-disadvantaged muggers who jump you in the dimly-lit reaches of your WalMart's parking lot?
I don't see why not. It's an LED.
Been there/Done that. Speed-dialing 911 didn't work. And Billary and the "Village" never showed up.

Out in the non-hermetically sealed Real World, the Tooth Fairy frequently takes a night off.

And that's why SERIOUS tools were invented. Flashlights included.

For life.

Uh, chill out man. Not sure where the rest of the political stuff got injected but it's a freaking $6 flashlight, not a Greenpeace stickered Prius doing 55 in the carpool lane with a tie dyed deadhead at the wheel (not that there's anything wrong with that)

When I go out in the backyard , it's either a Mag85, Mag Trilux, or the Thor HID35w, or the U2, or the L4, well, you get the idea.

All the same, the Dorcy AAA is one of my favorites based on purchasing pattern. I've bought at least 10 of them and currently have about 4-5, most modded with Nichia CS or MJLED. It's a great light for the $.

Well, based on my other lights, no, It's not all I need, though it is certainly all that my wife, my in laws, and several other friends seem to need.

Last edited:

ufmace

Newly Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
Speaking of which, I have had a Dorcy AAA on my keychain for almost a week now and am having a hard time getting used to it. I am not a janitor with a hundred keys. I wear dress clothes at work and it's hard to carry around keys, fobs, security fobs, keychain lights without looking pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, the light occupies some in-between place for me ... too big for a good keychain light, too small for an EDC light. :thinking:

And I wish I could try a non-optic Dorcy AAA for comparison. I'm ready to give this one away to the first person who says he/she likes it. :crazy:

I agree. It's a nice little light for the price, but IMHO, it's a little too big for a keychain light, and not bright enough for an EDC light.

I think my HDS EDC is much closer to being all you need in life (as far as flashlights go).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
FlashlightPhreak said:
All you need in life is love, not a Dorsey. (a modified Beatle's comment).

Finite.

Sadly, most Landlords prefer money, over Love.

And the ones who do allow you to pay with Love, that's not the type of "Love" they got in mind! :eeksign:

*Retired*
Due to the Dorcy AAA being brought up in discussions again, I just re-measured it on fresh cells, and it is putting out 60% less light than it did when it was new. I've had mine a couple of years now.

I wish designers would quit overdriving the 5mm LED, and use something proper, instead of just overdriving 5mm LEDs to the point of heavy abuse to maximize profit margins.

Oh well, it is unlikely they will change their ways. Meantime, I can just stay away from 5mm LED flashlights.

Of course, I could replace the LED with each change of cells, but that gets expensive.

More info on what happens to these overdriven 5mm LED lights:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/126857&page=1&pp=40

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
And the ones who do allow you to pay with Love, that's not the type of "Love" they got in mind! :eeksign:

crackup.gif
I've now got that image of Woody Harrelson and his landlord in Kingpin.