DORCY AAA IS ALL YOU NEED IN LIFE

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Here's an even more condensed version:
I love Dorcy 1AAA light. But bigger jobs require more powerful lights.

Amen brother. Just wished I would've learned that 20 bucks earlier.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Your post inspired me to post a condensed version of my original post..... I'll give you one guess what happened when I hit "Submit reply," again! :mad:
I know that's really not funny, but I still couldn't help laughing.

I think that mostly happens when quoting. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes the server is too busy. Sometimes I get an "Invalid Thread Specified" message. Sometimes I forget to do my "VB dance" to appease the forum gods...

Just copy the text EVERY TIME. You never know when a problem will occur.

And now to be on-topic, I believe that the Dorcy AAA is good enough for most tasks. My idea is that there are lights that can perform even better, and at different tasks. For example, my P1 is very small and bright, and I'm very happy with it. It can throw unbelievable distances for its size. Of course, when I need more throw, I have other lights that are brighter and throwier, but much larger. My point is that while I possibly COULD get by with the Dorcy AAA most of the time, I, personally, don't have to.

meat

Newly Enlightened
The Dorcy is definitely one of the most bang for the buck lights, but it is a little big for my keychain IMO.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
meat said:
The Dorcy is definitely one of the most bang for the buck lights, but it is a little big for my keychain IMO.

Just curious.... What do you carry on your keychain?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I just bought one of these (red) with the optic/magnifying lens because of all the good things I've heard about it on this site.

As noted above, it's a bit beefy for a keychain light but it does throw plenty of light for navigating.

I'm curious how the River Rock keychain light compares ...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
No.

And, I wrote out a long, detailed reply as to why...... But when I went to click "Submit Reply," my comp froze up on me. This has happened a few times on this forum. Never happens on any other forum I'm a member of. And, I'm not in the mood to type the whole thing out again.

So just, "no."

Firefox 1.5.07-.04 crash regularly on CPF. I compose my replies in a WP and copy-past them over now.

Go Dorcy AAA!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The little River Rock keychain lights, those using button cells, are brighter than the Dorcy. The "peanut" shaped one is the brightest, and the other smaller one has a magnifying lens and artifacts. I couldn't resist getting one of each a while ago when they were on clearance for $2 or $3.

Geoff

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit the Dorcy AAA is a small cute light.
Small, cute, light. No less, but no more.

Stating that the Dorcy AAA is the only light "you need in life" is a correct statement. I would have worried - if you stated you needed one thousand of them in life...

As per epistemological correctness, I would advice - you forgot to mention the second, (and obvious) part of your statement...
"...it is all you need in life -> OF THAT TYPE".

Otherwise, since we are on CPF, many of us wouldn't believe you, or would think that yours is a provocative statement, or an incomplete statement, or... or... the possibilities are infinite.
In my life I MAY be content with one light... of each type. Just like you...

...but, for a sort of unidentified reason, I ended up with a bunch of light of same type, mainly tactical and keychains, and none of the others.

Usually, I choose small, bright and longrunning lights as possible. Cost, usually, is an incidental factor.
Usually, I consider myself a "flashaholic". Because I "need" 1000+ flashlights of ANY type, including the Dorcy AAA... but, as I said before, I mainly aim to the "smallest brighest toughest longrun" lights. Why go for less?

The Dorcy AAA in all its incarnations is dim. It is true that, in a pitch black, it is useful. It is not reliable, nor engineered, to MILSPEC standards as many other good small lights. You cannot get real lumens from a 5 mm; you may try - but at expense of LED lumen maintenance, efficiency, and reliability.

My lights collection a long lived one... many of my lights are an heritage of the past, and the Dorcy AAA is standing in its slot = "First cheap AAA LED light".

When I first had the Dorcy AAA, I tought "It is all I need in life"; once seen its wide availability and low price.
Actually, I still think the same - for every new light I buy or make. This "tought" I believe, is at roots of my flashaholicism, and that of all our peers on this board.
My 2 Eurocents

Enjoy your lights

Anthony

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I do keep a Dorcy AAA in my backpack as a backup to my backup light, a Inova X1 (reflectored). My new main backpacking light is the Huntlight FT02x which in 1x123a mode is smaller than the Dorcy in length and puts out a lot more lumens. I can switch it to 2AA mode for more economy.

This convenience does cost a bit more than a Dorcy AAA :)

HuntlightFT02XvsL1P.jpg

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like them too. Add a Nichia CS, and they are darn bright...and inexpensive.

Why did they have to put the stupid moon-beam magnifying lens on the newer versions???

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
I've had that happen enough at several places that I always copy/paste now before hitting submit.
Good idea to do that every time a post gets over a few lines.
meat said:
I just recently resorted to putting a fauxton coin cell on my keychain. Only light I put on my keys (I have only TWO keys EDK (Every Day Keychain), btw) since I took the Solitaire off ten years ago. Big step for me. Anything else is just too big or too big and too expensive to risk scratching up. Or doesn't sit in my pocket too well.

Overall, I disagree that a Dorcy AAA is all you need in life. Monocrom said it eloquently. Now I use an HDS or Inova T1 around the house, and others in the car, including an Inova T3 'from' the car out the window. I do like the Dorcy rubber sleeve though (carrot) it is useful for mouth holding.
I think, (IMHO) that the Dorcy 1AAA is good as an occasional use light for up-close tasks, and not much more. The same failing that led me to look for more than the Dorcy 1AA, but that use is what most people have an EDC for anyway.

This note written in Lotus Notes

Monocrom

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Hmmm... I like the Dorcy AAA... but the rubber sleeve thing is definitely not to my liking.

Those sleeves can be pulled off with just a tiny bit of effort. The metal underneath is the same color as the rest of the light. Without the sleeve, the light has a very distinctive, classy look. :)

But I will admit to liking the sleeve.

EV_007

Enlightened
[font=&quot]This may sound like A2 sacrilege, but the "white" LEDs of the A2 puts out about the same color and output as the old style Dorcy 1 AAA, angry purple haze and all. BUT each has their place. The new Dorcy style with the cartoon spot I don't care for much.[/font]

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
RA40 said:
Firefox 1.5.07-.04 crash regularly on CPF. I compose my replies in a WP and copy-past them over now.

Go Dorcy AAA!

Odd... I use 1.5.07 on 3 computers and have never experienced a "crash" on this board.

I love my Dorcy AAA's too (old version only), but they're certainly not all I need.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
"The little River Rock keychain lights, those using button cells, are brighter than the Dorcy. The "peanut" shaped one is the brightest, and the other smaller one has a magnifying lens and artifacts. I couldn't resist getting one of each a while ago when they were on clearance for $2 or $3."

I like the looks, color, etc ... of the River Rock lights better than the Dorcy. If I had known this, I would have gotten the 'Rock instead.

If/when the River Rocks go on sale again, I'm gonna wipe out a few stores' worth.

Speaking of which, I have had a Dorcy AAA on my keychain for almost a week now and am having a hard time getting used to it. I am not a janitor with a hundred keys. I wear dress clothes at work and it's hard to carry around keys, fobs, security fobs, keychain lights without looking pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, the light occupies some in-between place for me ... too big for a good keychain light, too small for an EDC light. :thinking:

And I wish I could try a non-optic Dorcy AAA for comparison. I'm ready to give this one away to the first person who says he/she likes it. :crazy:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
All ya need, eh? Hmmm...

Questions:

1. Will that cute little Dorcy light-up/stop-in-its tracks a hungry Pit Bull (escaped from the local meth dealer's back yard) while you're walking home from some lovely candle-lit peace vigil?

2. Will that cute little Dorcy handle the recoil from your Colt .45 ACP/S&W .357 when you decline to make an Involuntary Contribution to that pack of, umm... poor, socially-disadvantaged muggers who jump you in the dimly-lit reaches of your WalMart's parking lot?

Been there/Done that. Speed-dialing 911 didn't work. And Billary and the "Village" never showed up.

Out in the non-hermetically sealed Real World, the Tooth Fairy frequently takes a night off.

And that's why SERIOUS tools were invented. Flashlights included.

For life.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
And I wish I could try a non-optic Dorcy AAA for comparison. I'm ready to give this one away to the first person who says he/she likes it. :crazy:

Check out WalMart for the Dorcy, and go through the pegs to spot a Black one. Although in the new packaging, and even labeled "with a magnifying lens", the Black ones in the few stores I've checked are of the reflector type.