Dove hunters dream trip (Caution to non-hunters)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Dove hunters dream trip (Caution to non-hunter

I'm waiting for them to declare open season on the pigeons in my city. They really are like flying rats, and they are big enough to make quite an impression if you're standing in their drop zone.

BTW, I've heard that doves and pigeons are very similar, though I don't know if that's accurate.

Brightnorm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

[ QUOTE ]
bigcozy said:
I had a local Game and Fish Biologist tell me the whole lead shot thing was really just something to get the green movement off the back of hunters. He has never seen lead poisoning in a duck in 11 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always suspected that myself. I think I read or made up that EV's killed more ducks than lead poisoning. I like to call it reverse junk science. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

Both doves and pigeons are any bird of the family Columbidae. Usaully the pigeon refers to the larger species with square or rounded tails. Doves usually refers to the smaller, with pointed tails.

Tombeis

Enlightened

Darell:

Steel shot is used for hunting waterfowl. I believe it's use is mandatory under Federal law.

The theory for steel shot use is that waterfowl tend to pick up and swallow the spent shot from the bottom where they are feeding. They are then poisoned by the lead.

Any damage to the environment from the use of lead shot over land would be minimal, if any.

Tombeis

Enlightened

Geepondy:

Two year ago, I visited my son who lives in South Burlington Vermont, out by the airport.

There is a dirt road that winds it's way along the airport's edge, I believe it's called National Guard Blvd.

There are cornfields along this road, and one morning I counted 31 wild turkeys picking up leftovers along the edge of this field. The higest number of wild turkeys I have ever seen anywhere in my life.

If you want to hunt wild turkey, move back to Vermont.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know I think Darell may have a decent point about the use of lead. If a heavily hunted area sees hundreds of thousands of rounds fired in a season, season after season, it may be a slow process but how long before trace amounts of lead begin seeping into the ground water and poisoning other wildlife or even the local population. Is there a way to recover the lead or will they come up with a decent non-toxic facimile that mimics the weight and maleability of lead causing the same knockdown power at a decent price. It is probably worthy of consideration, rather than dismissal, seeing as most hunters I know are also very vehement consevationists, at least that's how I was raised. My dad even had me taking classes in conservation and hunting safety at the Dept. of Natural Resources before I was allowed to accompany him hunting.

What do you guys shoot? last dove season I got to shoot my wifes Uncle's new side by side, he got the year before at Christmas and I couldn't hit a damn thing, I think I winged two out of ten rounds fired and the trigger guard chewed both of our hands up so I switched back to the trusty 870 and became positively lethal! I love the 870, my first and only pump 12gauge! There's a great article on it in this months American Rifleman.I am right handed but shoot lefty (left master eye) and I own a right handed 870 (nobody had the lefty in stock when I got it on my 14th birthday) but I got to try the lefty model owned by a friend of the family and it was great! What I really would like to own is an old Ithica Model 37 my Dad owns one and despite his getting up there in age and rarely hunting it's the one gun he tells me I'll have to dig up the casket to get. Just a great weight, action and the load and eject port in the bottom of the reciever is so cool for a lefty like me!

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
Is there a way to recover the lead or will they come up with a decent non-toxic facimile that mimics the weight and maleability of lead causing the same knockdown power at a decent price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold would work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ewick

Enlightened

Based on the price of bismuth shells last year, I would assume there's already a little gold in there.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

confused18.gif
confused42.gif
21.gif

Wow...

Latest posts