Duracell batteries dead in a cold car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Hello chaps,

I keep a Maglite XL50 in the car. It has been rather cold this last four weeks and last night I reached for the torch, to find it was ICE COLD and totally out of juice. The batteries were those supplied with the torch so brand new. And now, only after 10 minutes of use, they are dead.

So cold kills batteries.

What type of battery can I rely on for use as a spare, in the car?

With best,

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Can try lithium AA's. Should perform better too.

Thanks... do I need a special charger if I obtain rechargeable lithium batteries? I have the Apple AA battery charger which seems pretty good at 'smart charging' batteries.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks... do I need a special charger if I obtain rechargeable lithium batteries? I have the Apple AA battery charger which seems pretty good at 'smart charging' batteries.

AFAIK, there are no rechargeable lithium AA batteries. Could be wrong though.

kj2

Flashaholic
Am not familiar with those type of batteries nor with the brand. I highly recommend to choose for quality brands. Specially since you use it for your car light and you never know when I need it. Maybe someone else knows more on these batteries..

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had pretty good cold weather results with AA Eneloop rechargeable NiMH, and AA Energizer Ultimate lithium primaries as the "even colder" fallback.

IMHO, lithium rechargables don't belong in an automobile due to the massive temp swings. I feel the Energizer primaries are very stable. My opinion. One of many.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello chaps,

I keep a Maglite XL50 in the car. It has been rather cold this last four weeks and last night I reached for the torch, to find it was ICE COLD and totally out of juice. The batteries were those supplied with the torch so brand new. And now, only after 10 minutes of use, they are dead.

So cold kills batteries.

What type of battery can I rely on for use as a spare, in the car?

With best,
There seems to be much confusion in this thread.

For some odd reason, unknown to logic and common sense, Maglite seem to promote the use of alkaleaks, the worst battery type to use in pretty much anything, let alone a torch.

Yes the cold massively affects alkalines. But that isn't their only vice, tendency to leak and ruin whatever they are in and general poor performance is what they manage best.

You have 2 main options:

-Lithium primaries.

Most likely the shiny silver Engerizer branded ones. These are NOT rechargeable, they are throw away like alkaline batteries. The different however is:

-They have a fantastic shelf life, 10-20 years normally
-They don't leak
-They don't mind the cold
-They don't suffer the same voltage sag as alkalines

This all means longer runtimes and better sustained output from a torch (they work equally as well in AAA/AA powered digital camera's too).

They cost more to buy (although if you buy online they normally aren't too badly priced).

But because they perform so much better and last longer, chances are you'll spend less using these than you would on alkaleaks that you'll need to change very often.

-Rechargeable NiMh.

If you plan to use the torch quite a bit, then running any non rechargeable will get pricey. Your best alternative is some LSD (low self discharge) NiMh batteries.

It's generally accepted that Sanyo Eneloops are the best around. These will hold 70% of their charge for 3 years. And performance is brilliant from them. Runtimes with rechargeable are likely slightly shorter, but the advantage is you don't have to pay for new ones, each time the torch goes flat.

NOTE:

There are non-LSD NiMh batteries, these typically have a higher capacity, but could go flat via self discharge in a couple of weeks or so. Which is probably not as handy for a flashlight, unless you use it every day and will run them flat well before this.

NOTE 2:
There are no rechargeable Li-ion batteries available for this flashlight.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, Maglite XL50: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?296992-Maglite-XL50-LED-Flashlight-Review

This one? Don't own one, but the review says AAAx3. Even so, what I said about Eneloop rechargable and Energizer Ultimate primary still applies as they are available in AAA.

I've got a couple of AAAx3 lights (that use a battery carrier) that also take 18650x1. Not saying this light can do that, though.

I prefer lights single cell by design.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
how long were the cells sitting in the light??? i have xl100 and xl200, tthey both have horoble parasitc drain, if i leave fresh cells in them, for few months they would be drained dead. regardless of the temperature. mag xl one of few lights i have that i have to remove the cells out when in storage.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had pretty good cold weather results with AA Eneloop rechargeable NiMH, and AA Energizer Ultimate lithium primaries as the "even colder" fallback.

IMHO, lithium rechargables don't belong in an automobile due to the massive temp swings. I feel the Energizer primaries are very stable. My opinion. One of many.

+1 from me on this; well said, more_vampires.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the Maglight XL50 can handle the voltage of a lithium rechargeable battery because the ones that would fit, the 10440 are rated at 3.7 volts verses the alkaline AAA at 1.5 volts.

Your issue is that after looking at Mag's website, the XL50 is listed as AAA not AA light. Please verify what cells your light uses.

This was taken from the product document page on your light:

"INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE: For prolonged life and efficiency, it is necessary
periodically to inspect and perform preventative maintenance on your flashlight as follows:
1. Inspection - Any battery may leak caustic solutions or gases which can corrode the inside
of your flashlight. You should remove the batteries at least once a month and visually inspect
the inside of the flashlight for signs of corrosion. If corrosion is seen, follow the instructions in
the HOW AND WHEN TO MAKE A WARRANTY CLAIM section. 2. Separate Storage of
Batteries - If your flashlight is used infrequently, e.g., once a month or less, it is
recommended to remove the batteries and store them separately
. This helps guard against
corrosion and may also prolong battery life."

The subject of rechargeable cells for Mag lights comes up from time to time, and the answer usually comes back that Mag does not support rechargeable cells.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the discussion, guys. This is why we're here! :)

AAA Alky 1.5v x 3 = 4.5v
AAA NiMH 1.2v x 3 = 3.6v

2 of my lights using AAAx3 battery carriers can swap in an 18650 no problem since 4.5-ish volts and 4.7-ish volts are not enough to matter most likely.

Were I to leave it in a car, I would never put an 18650 in there... protected or not. I baby my batteries and they do me right. Don't even know if the XL50 would fit an 18650, mostly I've had AAAx3 lights that do not.

The argument for 18650x1 in place of AAAx3 is capacity. Series AAAx3 does not add capacity, but voltage. 18650 has monster capacity by comparison. Looking at the runtime chart in the CPF review of the XL50 shows a quick dropoff from fresh cells. The 18650 should hold max initial output longer than AAAx3, provided it fits.

...I think.
:)

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
not only it does not fit, the way it powers the led and tailcap is very different from 99.9% of lights out there. there is no easy way to convert xl for 18650,

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad, 18650x1 swapping out aaax3 is one of my favorite battery hacks. :(

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, it is too bad, i'd love my XLs to run on something other than AAA, i love the ui. but aaa is a huge downside. eslpesially with horoble parasitic drain of xl series, that sucks AAA "dry" in few month

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need Energizer Lithium primary AA's, 14500 Li-ion rechargeable(if your light supports 3.7V input), or Panasonic/Sanyo Eneloop Pro NiMH rechargeable. Those are your best cold weather options listed in order from best to worst for the cold:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.