Duracell batteries dead in a cold car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
As alpg88 has already stated these Mags have major parasitic drain. This is typical of lights with soft switches. I would suggest a light that mechanically disconnects the batteries from the circuit, e.g. clicky switch.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I keep a 2AA light in my car. I keep it loaded with a pair of NiMH rechargeable duracells, and I top them off every once in a while. I also keep a four pack of AA lithiums in the glove box as back-up batteries.

Both NiMH, and lithium primaries do fairly well in the cold, at least quite a bit better than alkalines do.
A few years ago, I bought a pair of rayovac AA NiMH batteries with a USB charger. The batteries are in a remote, and the charger is in the car. It will do AAs or AAAs. I have a couple of AAA penlights in the car too, and they have been charged a few times with that charger. The problem with a 3 cell AAA light is that the batteries don't have a lot of capacity, and most chargers want you to charge them in pairs.

At any rate, I'd probably fill it with NiMH batteries, and keep some lithiums as spares, as I do for my AA light.

Another possibility is to use 18500 LiIon batteries, they might fit. I measured a 3*AAA carrier and it is 54 mm long. A 18500 battery is 50 mm long
Panasonic NCR18500 3.7V 2000mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries

LiIon batteries also handle the cold well. The batteries that I linked to are not protected, and I wouldn't use them in a light that has a parasitic drain like your light does, because you could run into an over discharged LiIon, which could be dangerous. You might be able to find some quality protected 18500s though.

tandem

Enlightened
Another vote for Eneloops in the flashlight. Keep some spares in the vehicle. If it is really cold, shove the spares in a warm pocket and you'll be ready with full-power-ish when it comes time to swap. Replace the cells with freshly charged twice a year; I do this when clocks move forward and back an hour.

If it was a 1xAA or 2xAA light I'd still have Eneloops in the light, and an unopened pack of AA Lithium primaries as a just-in-case backup. In fact this is exactly what we have cached in our emergency kits, bug out bags, at the office, and in both vehicles.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Another vote for Eneloops in the flashlight. Keep some spares in the vehicle. If it is really cold, shove the spares in a warm pocket and you'll be ready with full-power-ish when it comes time to swap. Replace the cells with freshly charged twice a year; I do this when clocks move forward and back an hour.

If it was a 1xAA or 2xAA light I'd still have Eneloops in the light, and an unopened pack of AA Lithium primaries as a just-in-case backup. In fact this is exactly what we have cached in our emergency kits, bug out bags, at the office, and in both vehicles.

I agree with tandem :whistle: AND he makes a great point, one that I thought of, but didn't say:
"If it is really cold, shove the spares in a warm pocket and you'll be ready with full-power-ish when it comes time to swap."

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with tandem :whistle: AND he makes a great point, one that I thought of, but didn't say:
"If it is really cold, shove the spares in a warm pocket and you'll be ready with full-power-ish when it comes time to swap."

It certainly doesn't hurt to do that, but Panasonic states Eneloops are good down to -20C (and I've used them colder than that), so they're good to go in all but the coldest winter nights in northern climates. Keeping them warm probably gives you more run time, though.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be staying a million miles away from them,never heard of the brand or the fact they did Lithium rechargeable.
Very sadly, going to have to go with Mcnair on this one. I need a drink. :(

I'm still not buying alkalines!

tandem

Enlightened
I'm still not buying alkalines!

Nor will I.

Sharing some Eneloop propaganda... although here Panasonic is comparing 0 degrees C performance 500mA drain between an Eneloop (which they own) and a Sanyo alkaline cell (which they also own):
eneloop-at-0C.jpg

Which cell do you want in your cold car? Case closed.

tandem

Enlightened
I would be staying a million miles away from [the Kentli 1.5V Lithium-ion AA rechargeable cells], never heard of the brand or the fact they did Lithium rechargeable.

Agreed!

There was a conversation about those very cells here recently in battery-geek world HQ. I can't remember the conclusion but my reaction is the same as yours.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Ok. All noted. Ta very much chaps. Shall order more Eneloops. Never heard of the pro ones though. Amazon UK usually has a good deal.

Last edited:

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
One final point. What capacity of Eneloop should I go for? I already have 8 batteries for general use but would like another 4. 750s enough for the XL? I run two sure torches.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I would advise against any kind of rechargeable battery in extreme temperature conditions, especially those experienced by the interior of a car. The battery will work to its rated minimum temperature, however each time it is exposed to it, it will lose some capacity. Not as bad as an alkaline that will start to fail in the cold, but not as good as a lithium primary that will shrug it off.

Be sure to use an o-ring lube that can match the cells' cold handling to prevent seizing, and store the light nowhere near where sunlight falls to prevent wild temperature fluctuation, ideally the trunk, also under the seat or map pocket.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be staying a million miles away from them,never heard of the brand or the fact they did Lithium rechargeable.
That's bad advice. The thing to do would be to learn about what they are. For the Mag XL they probably aren't the right thing. Doesn't mean you should stay away from them.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. All noted. Ta very much chaps. Shall order more Eneloops. Never heard of the pro ones though. Amazon UK usually has a good deal.
Pro are just higher capacity with the trade off you can't cycle (discharge/recharge) them as many times. Unless you use a stop watch to monitor runtime I bet you'd never notice the difference vs normal Eneloops.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's bad advice. The thing to do would be to learn about what they are. For the Mag XL they probably aren't the right thing. Doesn't mean you should stay away from them.

If I ever went the li-on rechargable route. AW would be the only option.

A couple more bucks for which I think are the safest cells out there.

Cheap insurance.

EDIT: Stick with eneloops for sure, also the XXX series it what most offshore brands base their runtime stats off of, so it might not be bad to pick those up...

Last edited:

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
If I ever went the li-on rechargable route. AW would be the only option.

A couple more bucks for which I think are the safest cells out there.

Cheap insurance.

EDIT: Stick with eneloops for sure, also the XXX series it what most offshore brands base their runtime stats off of, so it might not be bad to pick those up...

Thanks. What is AW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts