Duracell batteries dead in a cold car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ever went the li-on rechargable route. AW would be the only option.

A couple more bucks for which I think are the safest cells out there.

Cheap insurance.
Sorry, but that is so much misinformation.

AW Li-ion cells are just as dangerous as anyone else's and no safer at all!!!!

This is where it is really key to be an informed buyer and understand what and why you are buying something.

This isn't to say don't get AW's, they are good batteries (I have several of them infact).

But believing they are intrinsically safer is only bullsh*tting yourself with a lack of understanding of what the risks and dangers actually are.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. What is AW?
AW is a brand of Li-ion battery, however it's very important to note, AW does NOT make batteries. They simply brand other peoples batteries, such as Panasonic or Sanyo, etc.

They do ensure a quality threshold and I suspect do some quality checking on internal resistance and capacity. But they are not magically "safer".

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ever went the li-on rechargable route. AW would be the only option.

A couple more bucks for which I think are the safest cells out there.

lol, you do know AW does not manufacture his own cells, he rewraps\installs pcb, the same way big name flashlight companies do. and most ikely they all use same cells, none is more safe and reliable than the other that uses same cells.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not owning any AW cells, could they have their own designed PCB's for their branded batteries that gives reason for Forrest to believe that AW cells are safer?

Most cells of 3400 mAh capacity use a Panasonic based cell. I'm sure that Panasonic has various grades of batteries just like Cree does with binning their led's. They are still 3400 mAh cells, but may have minor flaws that don't make them a "select" cell.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not owning any AW cells, could they have their own designed PCB's for their branded batteries that gives reason for Forrest to believe that AW cells are safer?
I do not know what protection circuits they use. I suspect they are probably well chosen, although I would doubt they are a ground up AW only design and more likely just specced and bought in from elsewhere.

That said, even the cheapest of protection circuits fail very infrequently. So it's not exactly a major safety issue.

And lets not forget, not all Li-ion batteries come with protection circuits anyway.

Most cells of 3400 mAh capacity use a Panasonic based cell. I'm sure that Panasonic has various grades of batteries just like Cree does with binning their led's. They are still 3400 mAh cells, but may have minor flaws that don't make them a "select" cell.
It's not about flaws, it's about internal resistance and matched capacities.

If you have ever been part of the RC world, racing buggies/cars/trucks. Then in days past you'll know how important it is to have matched cells and ones with low internal resistance. Companies like Team Orion, Trinity and many others, none actually made the batteries, but they would match up ones with almost identical specs (tested specs) and the highest voltages. But you paid more for this.

Li-ion isn't quite the same, but it also isn't so different either.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW is a brand of li-on rechargeable. AW stands for Andrew Wong I believe. He has an excellent long standing reputation here on CPF.

His cells are safer, as he individually tests each cell before its re wrapped, granted purchasing new Panasonic cells from a reputable source would be preferable as well. Many other X fire brands dig through garbage cans and burnt out laptops and slap on a sticker, so implying they are as safe as anything out there is nothing but negligent, dangerous and ill informed.

I can site sources all day long but I'll leave it for an EDUCATED member on the topic to clean this mess up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
We seem to have gotten off the original topic, furthermore it sounds like the OP has obtained the necessary info from this thread.
There are a number of existing LiIon/AW/etc battery threads, if anyone is interested in continuing that discussion I think there are better venues there.
Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts