E11 or Maglite XL200 or should I keep my XL100

Ki113rMi113r

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about getting a couple of flashlights. I am going to get for sure a Streamlight Microstream C4, 12 pack of Surefire batteries and Surefire G2xpro from BrightGuy.com. Back to my question, should I buy a E11 or a Maglite XL200 or just keep my XL100. I am thinking about upgrading my Xl100 to the XL200. I still need a back up light to my Maglite XL100. I kinda want to know if is the E11 a good light for a back up and should I get the E11 or the Maglite XL200. Suggestions and any information is welcomed.

Matt

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Personaly I hate the shaky mode thingy but if you had a XL100 and XL200 you would have extra batteries and an extra battery carrier as back up if anything happened to the other. The E11 is a nice AA light its cheap but huge it has almost the same dimentions as a 2CR123 light but I like mine. For pocket carry the LD15 would be better but its over $40.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
The E11 is a nice AA light its cheap but huge it has almost the same dimentions as a 2CR123 light but I like mine.

The E11 is still smaller than the XL100 and XL200, though.

For pocket carry the LD15 would be better but its over $40.

Unlike the E11, the LD15 has a twisty switch rather than a clicky, which is why it can be smaller, and some people prefer clickies.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The E11 is still smaller than the XL100 and XL200, though.

Unlike the E11, the LD15 has a twisty switch rather than a clicky, which is why it can be smaller, and some people prefer clickies.
IMO the E11 is still huge for a clicky it is 19mm in diameter, the Jetbeam PA01 is 17mm like most single AA lights are, pluse the electronics in the head stick out about 1/2 and inch an the clicky tail takes up another 1/2 inch. Don't get me wrong its a real nice light for pocket carry for $26 but its large for a 1 AA light. But it is one of the only 1 AA's with a forward clicky.

Ki113rMi113r

Newly Enlightened
Thank for your responses and information. What do you prefer for a single xAA backup light that is small. I perfer a clicky switch but it doesn't have to be.That is around the same price range of the E 11.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Why not just get the XL50? What do you do with your flashlight? Anything extreme like night time hunting...

I recently went on a Maglite binge and went through determing, "which should I get, the XL50, XL100 or XL200" ? What I determined was, the XL50 is the simplest and is a fine flashlight. The XL100 has a bunch of gadgets I probably don't need/want, personally, but that are neat. And the XL200 is the brightest, more for sportsmen and hunters. If you already have an XL100, I'd recommend just getting an XL50. It's a fine flashlight. I received it for Christmas and I simply can't get it to run out batteries with daily use... it's starting to blink due to low volatge but then the circuitry must have a capacitance system because a few blinks and it's steady again. It's amazing, really.

If you want something a little different, get an AA Mini Maglite and then upgrade it with a TLE-5EX. I'm in the middle or doing that for my wife :). There's a British video on youtube that shows original vs. upgrades for the MiniMag... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-wrbJTQyo The original is on the right. The Terrelux 5EX is all the way on the left. Don't bother with the middle upgrades... first and 2nd gen upgrades...

If I want something really bright, I go get my blinding 6D Mag with a Terrelux TLE-6EXB and a 1,000+ foot throw.

Ki113rMi113r

Newly Enlightened
Sorry that I haven't replied back sooner. I have decided to keep my XL100 and not update it. I have bad feeling about the E11. Does any one have info or opinions on the E11. I am going to be using it as a backup light. If anyone has any suggestions in single AA light, please let me know. I would like to clicky it does have to be but preferred. Only on a single AA, smaller or as bigger has the E11, and more or equal to brightness and beam throwing to the E11. Any suggestions are welcomed.

davecroft

Enlightened
Take a look at the E11 thread elsewhere on the forum - it might give you some answers. In short, the E11 has a lot of fans (including me) but there were a fair few issues at first with quality control, and it seems there still are some problems.

My first E11 was appalling (I posted some pics on the other thread), but Fenix replaced it and I have no complaints now. It is one of my most used lights, the build quality is very good, switch works well and the optic gives a nice beam, perfect for everyday use. The tint is great too, and it throws quite well. 'Low' mode is good enough for everyday use and has the bonus of long runtime. Yes, its large for a single AA but I actually find the size and weight make it feel nice and well balanced in practice. A good light for the money.

CrazyHighVoltage

Newly Enlightened
hi

the fenix e11 is a pretty nice flaslight to edc and its cheap so i use mine almost as a "beater" flashlight
and is pretty bright and it did have some problems in the begining but mines perfect.