Eagletac T20C2 Review : Pics, outdoor beamshots, RGB shots, and more!

wapkil

Enlightened
the 1.2A current should be constant with 2xCR123/RCR123

Yup, I found the graph on the EagleTac web page and it confirms the output should be constant for the first hour.

Many manufacturers exceeds the recommended current, but that doesn't mean that it is the good thing :D Current to the LED in T100C2 should be 850mA...

I agree that exceeding the maximum current is not a good thing but it may be seen as a compromise between brightness and the LED longevity. With 120% maximum current (as in EagleTac) it may be not that bad, if they have a good thermal design.

It will be interesting to see how these overdriven LEDs will behave after a few years. Especially XP-Es, since they seem to be subjected to the most serious abuse to be able to compete in brightness with XR-Es. On the other hand, most people may rarely use the highest mode and the LEDs will not suffer that much.

wapkil

Enlightened
The Quark lights use 700ma for their AA^2, 123, and 990ma for Q123^2

I know but as I wrote above I think the junction temperature may be much more important than the current by itself. I don't know about the phosphor layer but if cooled the semiconductor part could usually be pretty tolerant to the currents higher than specified.

In flashlights there is no active cooling - 990mA may be 40% higher than specified with the perfect thermal design but may as well turn out to be 100% higher if the LED junction temperature raises too much. That's why I don't think one can for example compare a Quark with 990mA and an EagleTac with 850mA and given only these information be sure which of them is more abusive to the LED. I think it may be possible to check the LED temperature by measuring if and how much the output gets lower after the lights heats up.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know but as I wrote above I think the junction temperature may be much more important than the current by itself. I don't know about the phosphor layer but if cooled the semiconductor part could usually be pretty tolerant to the currents higher than specified.

In flashlights there is no active cooling - 990mA may be 40% higher than specified with the perfect thermal design but may as well turn out to be 100% higher if the LED junction temperature raises too much. That's why I don't think one can for example compare a Quark with 990mA and an EagleTac with 850mA and given only these information be sure which of them is more abusive to the LED. I think it may be possible to check the LED temperature by measuring if and how much the output gets lower after the lights heats up.

Indeed, I wasn't really reading your posts fully, just a cursory scan-through. I know see that my little current post might have been a bit unneeded.

You're completely correct regarding junction temperature. sadly, I don't have either lights, and I'm hoping someone else could chime in on this.

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Done! GREAT REVIEW! Nice update with the indoor shots. :thumbsup:

By the way, Craig what's that in your avatar? Laser?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, its a red laser pointer.
I used a slow shutter speed, and waved it around on camera. took that a year or 2 ago.
thanks, and grats on the purchase!

Vesper

Enlightened
4sevens accused Eagletac of stealing their marketing material and illegally copying the M20 design.

Sorry to pile on EagleTac, but I noticed many instances of their documentation (warrenty card, user manual, etc) is taken word-for-word from Surefire's user manuals. Maybe they are innovative in some respects, but dang EagleTac. It all almost makes me regret my T20C2 purchase. :sigh:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to pile on EagleTac, but I noticed many instances of their documentation (warrenty card, user manual, etc) is taken word-for-word from Surefire's user manuals. Maybe they are innovative in some respects, but dang EagleTac. It all almost makes me regret my T20C2 purchase. :sigh:

There are a few below the belt blows with this light in my opinion!

The warrenty card is just another example!

:shakehead

There is a lack of ingenuity I believe...

crazigee

Newly Enlightened
Was the light you had the "Cool White" or the "Natural Light"?

Thnks,
CG