Ebay stops payment by money orders/checks.

Wok

Newly Enlightened
E-Bay Australia has been trying to implement PP only since June. Currently there is an ongoing hassle with even logging-on :(......makes me afraid of committing to an item & then unable to pay for it.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to trust people. On the other hand, a relative was caught in a forged check scam similar to Mike Painter's experience, but in this case the checks were stolen. He ended up fighting a charge of check fraud and possession of stolen property (the check).

I sold on eBay for the first time in years this weekend. Because I almost never sell my only choices for payment were paypal. It was oddly reassuring that I did not have to worry about fraudulent checks, even though there was a charge for the transaction.

Normally I rail at being forced into using someone's vendor. I don't know why I was not upset about it this time. Maybe I just considered it part of the cost of selling my cell phone? Maybe I was just so pissed at the cell phone company for charging me $175 to cancel my contract. Maybe I was just thrilled that I sold the phone (that they gave me for free) for enough to cover that cancellation fee.

Daniel

Disclaimer: There's already one in this thread. It explains why I'm probably biased towards eBay. It also points out that I am NOT representing eBay in any way.

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like ebay is going the way of the DO DO Bird as far as I am concerned. I do not use
pay puke or take it. :poof::poof: There goes the 3,000 to 5,000. I spend a year.:twothumbs

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fleabay has gone to h*** in a handbasket every since Meg Whitman left. The place totally sucks. I've been a member almost 10 years and had hundreds of transactions and all 100% until they changed their policies this year. They got mad I was trying to circumvent some new nonsense so the gave me a neutral with some bogus account - which now counts the same as negative feedback. They make sweeping decisions for greed and the stockholders bottom line and don't realize they are taking away people's livelihoods who have come to depend on them - many people even quitting their day jobs as they were doing so well on eBay. Now sellers are going broke due to policy changes. They have created so much resentment toward them that even CNN had a big article several months back on how people are going to other auction sites or starting new ways of business because they got so fed up with eBay gestapo tactics. This is just another one and I think because of them that forums and other online places like Amazon will eventually cut eBay's business in a big way. Many people are waiting for Internet giant Google to step up to the base on this one and start their own auction site. I'd be all over that if they did.

eBay has pulled some downright scams lately IMO. They sent coupons saying I could buy ANYTHING and get 10% off. So I bought but there was never anyway or any place to take the discount or to enter the coupon code. Just another nail in their coffin. :mad:

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no issue with PayPal...I use it all the time, mostly here for Marketplace transactions and with supporting vendors.

In general I am finding that I can get eBay items that interest me for less elsewhere.

I have only ever sold 1 thing on eBay and that was paid for by money order. This was about 7 years ago. The transaction was OK, but the bum never left me any seller feedback :mad:

Nomad

Enlightened
I don't buy that it's to prevent fraud. I really do think that it's intended to make ebay/paypal more money. The thing is, a lot of people start out taking only money orders/cashiers checks, and move on to taking PayPal. I like to offer money order payment (via post office money orders only) as an option because I know that I myself had my PayPal account blocked temporarily due to a bank error...I actually ended up opening another bank account just so I could have access to PayPal. It really does kinda suck that those schmucks at eBay would do this and limit the field. It seems like eBay wants to switch to being an online mall that caters only to businesses which is not what it started out as! Far more businesses now than there used to be, and far fewer individuals.

Wattnot

Enlightened
It turns out it is the FTC you could complain to. I'm not a legal expert (but I have stayed in Holiday Inn Expresses several times) but this seems like something that is just not right. I'm not ready for the day when you can't pay "cash" for something!!

Paypal has been used by many buyers to scam sellers because they are way too overprotective. All one has to do is say "boo" and paypal will rip the money right out of the sellers account. I have personal knowledge of several of these types of scams being perpetrated on my friends so I bet it's pretty widespread. My friends showed delivery confirmation and other proof AND STILL LOST THEIR MONEY AND THE ITEMS!! Forcing people to pay with paypal might cut down on sellers who scam but it's going to increase buyers who scam.

Go to www.ftc.gov and file a consumer complaint or at least use the contact page at the bottom to email the antitrust department. If enough people complain, who knows . . . maybe they'll do something about it.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
FTC complaint filed. It's quick and easy and you don't have to leave any personal info. I really don't know if this will have any effect but it can't hurt and it was easy.

Latest posts