Ebay stops payment by money orders/checks.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay is stopping payment by money orders and personal checks. They will only allow Credit Cards, Paypal, and Propal! This change to take effect in late October of 2008.
I think this is a terrible idea.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only do money orders, so I guess eBay doesn't want my business...sigh!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
So they cut the sellers listing fees, but make people use PayPal (an eBay company).

Anyone want to be they will increase the fees on PayPal to make up the difference?

eBay has been making a lot of dumb decisions lately...this seems to be another one.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
I sell alot of item on Ebay over 10k so far, at first I use to except USPS money orders as I thought they were safe but hade a few issues, now I only take paypal and wiretransfers for items for 2K. With over 10k transaction I'v only hade less then a hand full of issue and no charge back, sure it cost me 2.9% but its just the price of doing business, my bank charges me 1.8 % on Visa and mastercardand 3.5% on American express so I get a better price on American Express from Paypal.

AMRaider

Enlightened
Incredible... It was bad enough when they forced you to list paypal as a method of payment when posting a sale... Now they won't even let you pay by check/mo? :sick2: I wonder how they are going to enforce this..

BUZ

Enlightened
Greed greed greed the idiots are destroying ebay!

Wattnot

Enlightened
What they're proposing doesn't seem very legit. I'm going to email the FTC and see if they can look into that. Maybe everyone should do the same thing.

If it's not the FTC, then feel free to correct me. The government has prevented some mergers from going through (like Dish Network and DirecTV) for whatever reason and this seems far worse. Ebay goes and buys a payment system then tells private buyers and sellers they can't pay each other except through Ebay's owned system?

It obviously doesn't seem right but it might not be legal either but if nobody speaks up or challenges it, we'll be stuck with it. If the government can't help, maybe a class action could work. I remember a case out of CA (which I believe carried over nationwide) where the cell phone companies were sued (and LOST) because their calling plans ate up your "anytime minutes" first, no matter WHEN you made the call, then hit you with nasty charges for the rest of the month's calls during peak hours.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why they made this decision either, unless it's part of the upcoming offer of full purchase protection. You can not really guarantee the transaction when there is no proof that money changed hands. Checks and money orders are increasingly being counterfeited.

This is pure speculation on my part. I have not paid attention to the company's stated reasons for this change. Been too busy working to go to meetings.

Daniel

Disclaimer: I work for ebay, but am not speaking for them in any way, shape or form. I'm just a peon who is not allowed to say anything about ebay without posting something like this. I pay no attention to the politics or business decisions of the company.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm sure it's done to cut down on counterfeiting. Many people juts don't understand how the banking system works, and these people make easy targets for scams. As has been noted in here, money orders and checks are counterfeited quite a lot, and one of the main sources of counterfeit money is transactions that take place over the internet, such as eBay.

I used to work at a bank...the problem with counterfeit checks is it's really expensive for everyone involved. It costs eBay, the seller, and the bank all money. The only person that wins is the scammer.

I had a friend that lost $1100 on eBay this way. He took a check in and they placed it on a short hold. He called to see if the check had cleared, and the bank had cleared the funds for withdrawal, so he went ahead and send off the merchandise. He did not understand that having a check clear for withdrawl is not the same as having it clear the bank totally...and the check was returned.

You could say that's partially his fault, for not understanding how the system works, and I would say you're partially true, but again, the high level of counterfeiting is costing eBay a lot of man hours, and it's costing sellers a lot of money and banks too.

Like it or not, when you send money through PayPal you've jumped through several hoops to verify your identity, and the validity of your bank account.

You can also cry murder about them forcing you to use PayPal, but again, that's done to beef up security. Since PayPal is owned by eBay, the 2 companies can work together to investigate fraud better than any other 2 companies.

There are good sides and bad sides to any decision a large company like this makes. You can cry foul, but I hope you'll take a second first to consider, outside of conspiracy theories, the reasons eBay might do a thing like this.

Saaby

Flashaholic
In fact that is the very reason they give.

(Bold added for emphasis)

Offline payment methods are no longer suitable for online transactions. This opinion is shared by law enforcement and the financial services industry. The vast majority of ecommerce shoppers, including eBay buyers, now use online payment methods. On eBay.com over 90% of transactions are paid with online payment methods and the use of offline paper methods has declined by 40% over the last 3 years.

Individuals who pay with a check or money order on eBay.com, are 80% more likely to file an "item not received" dispute, and 50% more likely to leave a negative feedback than buyers who pay with PayPal or a credit card. Prohibiting paper payments greatly reduces your exposure to fraudulent activity.

If something does go wrong, you likely have more recourse with electronic payment methods. Starting this fall, eligible items paid with PayPal on eBay.com will be covered by PayPal Buyer Protection for the full purchase price and original shipping costs and at no additional cost. There will no longer be a coverage limit. See eligibility.

You will no longer be susceptible to fraudulent money orders which many sellers tell us is a significant risk. Plus, listings on eBay.com that don't accept PayPal or credit cards are more than twice as likely to experience an unpaid item than listings that only accept PayPal and/or credit card.

Beginning in late October, PayPal Seller Protection will US sellers offer coverage with no annual limit for eBay items shipped to over 190 countries—even if the address is unconfirmed—at no additional cost.

I have no clue how much time eBay puts into investigating money order fraud, but I suspect that per incident it probably takes more time to investigate than fraud through PayPal, etc. Why should eBay spend a quarter or more of their fraud investigation time on 10% of their transactions?

With checks and money orders, eBay had no way in a dispute of knowing who was telling the truth. Did the seller get the money, or did the buyer never send it? With ePayments there is a record of things...blah blah blah...

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty easy to scam a seller if you as a buyer use PayPal, so I'm not too happy about this. I wonder how they're going to counteract all those instances of buyers demanding refunds and sending back boxes of bricks.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that eBay has 5,000 employees working on investigating and dealing with problems. Quite costly, if true.

-- Alan

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Wow! How dedicated does a crook have to be to set up a bogus account, buy a product, wait till it's delivered, then lodge a complaint, send a box of bricks that weigh about the same as the original......

One should never underestimate the perseverance of a crook.

:)

Daniel.

Disclaimer: I already posted one, right?

AMRaider

Enlightened
/rant on

I have been an ebay user for nearly 9 years and I have bought and sold hundreds of items. I have never, ever used paypal or any other means of electronic payment. I have never been scammed on ebay (I'll concede that was part luck), but I have also been very careful with whom I do business with. If the guy has poor feedback, I just don't buy from them. When I sell an item, I often hold shipment until the payment clears (this is especially true if the guys feedback is low or if they are a new user). This method is slow, but I am a patient person and I have found it to be reliable. If folks don't want to wait, they can buy/sell from someone else.

I understand that it is in ebay/paypals best interest to make money. I have no problem with that. As a stockholder (not ebay) I know that companies must balance their duties between the shareholders, customers, and to themselves. Disputes and scams undoubtely are very costly (both time and money) to both the company and to their customers. What disappoints me is that instead of educating folks on how to safely do business, they instead compromise options (for both buyers and sellers) in an attempt to provide a more secure and cost efficient venue. Speaking as one with an education in crimminal justice and information security, I can guarantee that no system is 100% secure. Even if ebay goes through with these new policies, there WILL still be scams.

Less scams than before? Perhaps. Will ebay be more profitable with the new policies? Again, perhaps. What I can say with 100% certainty is that after ebay goes through with it's new policies (and enforces them), is that I will be cancelling my account with them and I will never visit their site again. The loss is mine, but it is theirs as well.

/rant off

The good news is that I will be buying and selling more here as well as at the market place. Cheers folks :).

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
totally lame IMHO. at the very least, allow google Checkout/payments as a paypal alternative! what a stranglehold...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes they do!for this reason,sometimes e-checks take 9 days to clear,bear in mind I have used it once with " Don" ok he got payed,but I could have easily not payed..i.e I did not have it in my bank account!but he trusted me?
money orders I have no clue!
but really it is a step in the right direction IMO.
BTW this is how it will go,PAYPAL,CREDIT CARD AND BANK,thats it. ;)

[edit]sorry I forgot? google checkout :twothumbs

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay is stopping payment by money orders and personal checks. They will only allow Credit Cards, Paypal, and Propal! This change to take effect in late October of 2008.
I think this is a terrible idea.
Maybe.
The last scam I was offered involved sending me a money order through UPS (no mail fraud).
It would pay for the item, give me $100.00 as a gift (on a $125.00 item) and include an amount large enough to cover giving a *cashiers check* to the guy who was going to pick up the item.
The scam emphasized waiting until the MO had cleared before getting the check.

Apparently it is possible to get a money order or cashiers check look good long enough to complete such a scam. A week or two later your bank takes that money out of your account, but by then the con man has teh item and a cashiers check which is valid.
Item 4 is close to what I was offered.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The loss is mine, but it is theirs as well.

Maybe. There are still deals to be had on eBay but more and more it is a commercial site where things frequently cost more than anyplace else.

I just found out about the nite-ize figure 9

ALL of them cost more on ebay than on the nite ize site and the shipping on what I bought (a bit over $4.00) was only a bit more than what they wanted for one item on eBay.

I always check at least Amazon before buying "normal" things.