edc single cr123 ??

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LF3XT is great. I like it better than my EX10. It is a little bigger but has a near flawless beam. The UI can be simple or complicated because of the two UI's. The Compact UI is similar to the EX10 but the light ramps down from Max and up from Min automatically. I have set the programable UI to operate as a simple 3 level light. Overall very pleased with the LF3XT and Liteflux in general.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
LiteFlux LF3XT Cree XR-E Q5 LED Flashlight
NiteCore SmartPD EX10, Golden Dragon Plus

Size comparison of two of the lights you mentioned, the LF3 XT and the NiteCore EX10:

P1040430.jpg

P1040431.jpg

P1040432.jpg

I have both (though I have the cree EX10, not the GD+ EX10). IMHO the EX10 is great for its simplicity of use and is slightly smaller and easier to carry in a pocket. I also find the feel of the piston drive is better for me compared to the electronic switch of the LF3 XT but this point is purely a matter of taste. And a pocket clip is already available for the EX10. The LF3 XT wins points for configurability.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can recomend the Fenix PD20.. Very small, and VERY powerful...

Heres a pic i made to demonstrate the distance it can go and be useful.

postableonforumhouse2hoan1.jpg

crocodilo

Enlightened
I tend to regard the EX10 as an (adjustable) single mode light. Clicky, twisty or momentary. A truly fantastic light, very simple and yet versatile and performant. And the clip is definetely worth it.

Budman231

Enlightened
Ok I've done my research and have narrowed the field to 5 lights.....
I know the pro's/con's/features.....just need your opinions about personal use and which one you would want to use everyday:thumbsup:
these are in no particular order. I might have to buy 2 eventually .....but which one would you get first! --I do prefer simple/forward clicky/clip--but all these lights have my full attention.....

Fenix Digital PD20 Black Premium Q5
LiteFlux LF3XT Cree XR-E Q5 LED Flashlight
NiteCore SmartPD EX10, Golden Dragon Plus
EagleTac P10C
Dereelight EDC light-C2H

Thanks,
sj

If you are a gadget/button pusher that is particular about you light's setup... LF3XT !!

If you like a bit smaller light that is fairly simple to use... PD20 or EX10 !!

If you want a low, low don't get a PD20. The PD20's low is like the medium on any other light...You loose you night vision. EX10 or LF3XT are the way to go.

All are good lights. Don't have any experience with the others.

IMHO.

Bud

sj29

Newly Enlightened
you guys are awesome....this insight is great to see the real world opinions, not just stats....
so far the lf3xt and the ex10 are in the lead, but not far behind is the pd20.....ive looked into the jetbeam II pro ibs...looks great, but more expensive and larger...the nitecore extreme performs great too, but no tail stand and more $$ as well....looking to stay around 60usd

I too own several fenix lights and have had no problems, love them...so the pd20 seems like a no brainer.....but thought i might try out the better iu's with the lf3xt/ex10?!:sssh:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the older P2D on my hip for a couple months now and take it everywhere. It actually survived several trips through airport security with no hassles back and forth to Florida. Its got enough modes to do what I need to do for a personal use light and has never failed me. Very convenient to use. The Fenix Diffuser I bought for the L2D also fits on this thing making a nice candle. I am guessing it fits the PD20 so I vote for the PD20 as a very useful simple, reliable EDC.

sj29

Newly Enlightened
I guess it comes down to deciding to buy a thrower (dereelight/eagletac), or convience of the vast iu of the (liteflux/nitecore) or sticking with fenix for the simplicity

sj

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys are awesome....this insight is great to see the real world opinions, not just stats....
so far the lf3xt and the ex10 are in the lead, but not far behind is the pd20.....ive looked into the jetbeam II pro ibs...looks great, but more expensive and larger...the nitecore extreme performs great too, but no tail stand and more $$ as well....looking to stay around 60usd

I too own several fenix lights and have had no problems, love them...so the pd20 seems like a no brainer.....but thought i might try out the better iu's with the lf3xt/ex10?!:sssh:

I own all the lights in question except for the Jetbeam II. My P2D doesn't get much use any more now that I have the LF3XT, although I occasionally use the sheath from the P2D for my LF3XT. I prefer the interface on the LF3XT over the P2D Q5 and there is no comparison as far as beam quality. The LF3XT is so much more smoother than the P2D. If you can get your hands on the P2D Rebell 100, that would make the choice a bit more difficult, since that light has a warmer LED and just as smooth a beam as the LiteFlux. However, I believe, too, that the lower low on the LF3XT is far more useful than the slightly higher high on the P2D. If you only can afford one, get the LF3XT. You won't be sorry.

juplin

Enlightened
If you don't need a pocket clip from the start I think the LF3XT has the most grins/dollar. To me lights like these are just too chunky and heavy to EDC in the bottom of your jean's pocket. In spite of this I got the LiteFlux instead of an EX10 w/clip because of all the great features it offers. There are already some clip solutions floating about and other/better ones will surely surface soon.

Geoff
My LF3XT with both clip and lanyard :whistle:
LF3XT_Clip.jpg

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
My single-CR123 rotation included two eagletacs and a nitecore. I have the T10C and P10C. I've been carrying the T10C every day for about 4 months, with the P10C mixed in on a few days where I need more pocket space. The Nitecore Extreme was my EDC for about 6 months but the interface didn't always work for me. The P10C/T10C are really nice, and the interface is fool proof. Since I got the Eagletac crenelated bezels, I've been more than satisfied with both of them. I think my ONLY wish would be to have a lower low mode. The Nitecore wins in this situation, so if I'm going out at night I'll often swap out the T10C for the NEI. I have no experience with the others on your list.

snakyjake

Enlightened
Light Comparison:

EagleTac P10C
I didn't like the ergonomics.
Not smooth to slide in pocket.
Clip is a double-clip and bulky.
Didn't like clicky edges.

NiteCore EX10
Great ergonomics and feel (love the piston).
Great clip.
Great runtime and beam.
Great size.
Disappointing UI.
I wanted a light UI that is: Low, Med, High. I wanted to switch between these modes. However, you lose the user defined settings when you switch modes. So I got rid of the light. To me, it's really a dual mode (low/high) light, with the option to temporarily adjust brightness. However, the option for momentary and constant is a nice feature.
To make this light better, the user defined setting should be saved between switching low/high.
Light is almost ideal, and competes with LiteFlux LFX3.

Fenix P2D/LD01
I'm considering the Fenix line. Perhaps the LD01 for it's size. I think 80 lumens is the best balance between brightness and runtime. Maximizing runtime is not extremely important to me since I have access to a charger and spares.

Other Considerations
User interface (UI) will most important to narrow down your choices. This is one of the major deciding factors. Some lights are very annoying to use, some are addictive.

I'm also considering a light for one handed use. I want to turn the light on/off with one hand, and easily adjust brightness levels. Why? I want to access my light when one hand is in use (like when I'm carrying something, or holding onto something). Clickies are ideal for this, however, clickies add size and bulk. Twisties, NiteCore Piston, and LFX3 electronic switch are solutions.

EDC
EDC needs to be better defined. I really wonder if people mean Every Day Carry? Or just a basic, full functional, general purpose light. To me, EDC means you intend to carry it daily. Therefore there are certain requirements:

Small size - Anything too big, and you won't carry.
Comfortable - I want something that can slip in my pocket and not bug me. No sharp edges. Nothing gnarly.
Output - How much output does a EDC light need? I think 80 lumens is optimal for output and runtime.
Carry - How will you carry? I require a pocket clip. Otherwise the light "squares" or lays horizontal in my pants pocket and becomes uncomfortable. I want the light to fit in my Levi's 5th pocket and ride vertical for comfort. I want to access it easily by knowing where it is.
UI - I don't need SOS or strobe. The probability of needing any of these modes is highly unlikely. Plus, you can SOS any light. The modes just add more clutter to most UI's.
UI - I need low, medium, high. Low = power saving; Medium = general use; High = temporary throw. I rarely use my lights on their high/turbo.
Runtime - Is maximum extreme runtime necessary? Not for me. I just need my light usage to last 24 hrs. Then I can swap to my spares are put the batteries in the charger. However, I don't want to fuss with batteries on a daily basis. So I balance between battery swap (not necessarily runtime) vs. size vs. output.

If the light doesn't meet your EDC, you won't carry it when you need it. You'll misplace it. And when you need it, you'll be looking for it or wishing you didn't leave it at home.

Jake

snakyjake

Enlightened
i liked the size/weight of the ex10 but it had issues with turning itself on while in my pocket, so i eliminated a new one based on that experience.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the switch by turning the head. Great feature of the EX10 piston drive. You can also adjust it to be momentary on.

However, I've been skeptical that applying pressure to the head can also turn the light on, without using the switch.

Jake

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm EDC-ing the Jetbeam Jet II Pro IBS, 2 way clip so i can clip it either bezel up or bezel down. the 3 individually programmed modes are set to my liking (start low, then to brighter and last mode is MAX)

I like the versatility of programming the light to suit my needs. Coupled with the fact that the light is shockproof (tested by droppin on to concrete from shoulder height) and waterproof (dunked in a mug of water while on to test waterproofness), its a great light to carry without fear of damage

Newly Enlightened
I have an ITP C9 that I like but its easy to accidently strobe.But That may be a plus for certain situations.Most people probably just think its a lose connection:crackup:

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see a Surefire type light the size of an E2L with 120/40/1 lumens
accessible by clicking once for each.With First 40, then 120, then 1 lumen and the forth click is off.
How simple is that. :cool:
Run times should be at least 1 hour for the 120 lumen level, at least 6 hours for the 40 lumen level and 60 plus hours for the 1 lumen level.
For batteries it should run cr123 primaries plus protected RCR123's and also capable of using a rechargable lithium battery.
For me that would be my perfect edc flashlight.

Now I don't want too much do I ? :ohgeez: :sigh:

AMRaider

Enlightened
accessible by clicking once for each.With First 40, then 120, then 1 lumen and the forth click is off.
Run times should be at least 1 hour for the 120 lumen level, at least 6 hours for the 40 lumen level and 60 plus hours for the 1 lumen level.
For batteries it should run cr123 primaries plus protected RCR123's and also capable of using a rechargable lithium battery.

What you describe kind of sounds like a Novatac. I don't know if you can get 120 Lumens OTF for a solid hour with an RCR123 though...

makuyo

Newly Enlightened

E2L size?? A Wolf-Eyes Champion-x perhaps? but it starts with 100%-30%-2% brightness..