ekk is this a brown recluse spider?

cy

Flashaholic
the black widow spyder lived in the jar for over a year. after that it stayed in the same jar, until I threw it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

most folks didn't believe me until I pulled out the jar. big time fun putting live insects inside jar.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
bindibadgi: now your got me curious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy: big time fun until the day you open it and don't realize the hundreds of babies crawling over your arm! hahha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'll coax a wild tarrantula onto my palm out in the desert. I've never been bitten, and I hear a tarrantula's bite is "bee sting" class. (You wouldn't know it from looking at the fangs on those suckers!) I killed a black widow in my livingroom a couple weeks ago. I don't like spiders in the house. (Maybe why I drink so much spider repellant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) The USL does an excellent job on them in short order! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha USL on a spider. I guess it is powerfull enough to cook it!. I'll have to guess its probably ~100watts? ouch!

gorn

Enlightened
Cy,

You want another black widow? There are tons of them in my area. I could go out to the horse corral right now and catch you a dozen or so.

There is an old Army facility that closed down after Vietnam in the Central Valley. They raised widows for the web. They used the web for cross hairs on scopes.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do spiders in the house either. I've never cooked one with a flashlight, but I've frozen a few with cans of canned air.

I have a friend that lives with several HUGE wolf spiders. I had the privilege of staying with him recently and watched as his house spiders caught full sized cockroaches. That should give you an indication of the spiders size... YIKES! not in my house...

Although I do have quite a population of funnel web spiders in the yard. If you go out in the morning when the dew is on their webs, you can see quite a large number of the webs all over the garden beds. and if you walk around in the afternoon you can see them duck inside their holes in the middle of the webs. Somehow they don't bother me, they don't come inside!

Then there was this lovely lady who was living on the side of my home last summer. We had several threads about this back then. remember my banana spider?

spider2.jpg

She also didn't come in the house, so I was just amazed and watched her.

Most of these spiders aren't aggressive, they won't come after you, but I'm still freaked out by the most common way people are bitten... By trapping the spider between you and that nice clean shirt you just picked out of the closet without knowing that there was a huge honking spider inside it!! YUCK, and YIKES!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Tarantulas are cool (or "kool" or "kewl")!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
I used to have two I kept as pets: a relative of the Mexican Red Legs named "Spidey" (male) and a Zebra tarantula named "Christina" (female). I got that second name from Chief O'Brien's pet tarantula from the Star Trek: TNG episode "Realm of Fear". He had a pet spider named Christina. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had them for years. I can't remember what happened to Spidey, but Christina got away in the middle of winter and froze behind an outside wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie looks like a garden / jumping spider to me.

I guess you just hear about the bad brown recluse spider bites. A good friend of mine was bit several years ago in Chicago. He was cutting the grass and it got him on the ankle . Same result as the picture above.

cy

Flashaholic
Gorn, I've seen dozens of black widow spiders since keeping that one as a pet.

That particular one was the largest shiniest, orange/red hourglass black widow I had ever seen. easily 3x size of Oklahoma black widow spiders.

no telling where those grapes came from. Anyone know if there are black widows syiders in south america? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that it is almost impossible to get more than a few feet away from some kind of spider or another -- even on the space shuttle. I have also read that the average person inhales ~7 spiders a year. I don't care how small they are -- that's creepy.

I went to a state park a few miles from here a while back and along with many other wonderful things I saw lots of huge spiders in the trees and each was about 6 inches across. Geeze.

When it comes to spiders I'm not really into details. I don't want to know it's name or whether or not it's venomous. Once I see one I already know too much.

spock

Enlightened
want to see the "baddie" of spiders? google "sydney funnel web". found near and in sydney, australia. about as big as the top of a tomatoe soup can. extremely poisonous. a large number of bites result in death. there is an antivenom, but it doesn't always work. read that it can bite thru a shoe! it can sting a cat, but they are immune to the poison. i don't like to even look at the picture of it. it has atraxotoxin, which is the most dangerous toxin to humans produced in the animal world.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, a lot of us hate spiders or other bugs. Most pest control companies will tell you that there is nothing avaliable that consumers can use that will control the Brown Recluse.

However, I did hear of something that may work and I already have some. It is called Raid Fumigator. Don't confuse it with the aerosol "bug bombs"; Raid Fumigator produces smoke instead and it looks like a little metal can within a plastic container and there are three in one pack. You take the can out and put some water into the container then put the can back in and after a 1-2 min delay (so you can get out of the room before it goes off) it starts. Big huge cloud of smoke that fogs up an entire room and even seeps into the walls where bugs like to hide.

Set one off in every room and put two or three in the attic if you want

Be sure to disconnect the smoke alarms first. Otherwise, your neighbors will have to listen to the beeping for the next 2 hours

You can get them at Wal-Mart for around $10