Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
How does it act when the tailcap isn't installed? If you connect the battery's negative contact to the body threads, it should immediately go to high. If it does anything wonky, then the tailcap isn't the cause......since it's not in the electrical circuit.
I just boxed it up, so can't test it.

I'll follow up here when I get it back, or hear from Elzetta.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What grizzman said! Just take a paper clip or knife blade and touch back of battery to end of battery tube. Should come on full blast.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I contacted elzetta and spoke to an engineer. He informed me the the alpha does not have low voltage protection and it's designed to shut off at around 2.5 volts not sure how that works if it doesn't have low voltage protection. most protected cells cut out at 2.6. Obviously if your running unprotected cells you will have to monitor this or you may ruin your cell. There must be something I'm not getting because I ran a primary cell till low voltage starting blinking and pulled the cell. It was at 1.7 so she really sucks the juice out of a primary but if it's supposed to shut down at 2.5 why does it let a primary go way under that? Either way I'm very happy with it and run time on a primary is very long with not much lose in output.

coffeecup66

Enlightened
I contacted elzetta and spoke to an engineer. He informed me the the alpha does not have low voltage protection and it's designed to shut off at around 2.5 volts not sure how that works if it doesn't have low voltage protection. most protected cells cut out at 2.6. Obviously if your running unprotected cells you will have to monitor this or you may ruin your cell. There must be something I'm not getting because I ran a primary cell till low voltage starting blinking and pulled the cell. It was at 1.7 so she really sucks the juice out of a primary but if it's supposed to shut down at 2.5 why does it let a primary go way under that? Either way I'm very happy with it and run time on a primary is very long with not much lose in output.
Remind me, what "Generation" alpha did you use for this "run-batt.-down-to-1.7volts" test ?

Also, thanks for all the good info provided.

Cheers.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this delivered.

Thanx very much for posting this photo. It provides spec info (on the pkg.) that I needed to see, but was unable to find by searching for it on the web site - which I find more than a little strange, but at least it's on the pkg. You saved me from having to buy the light to read the pkg. to determine whether or not I wanted to buy the light, and if that sounds dumb, it should, because it would be. Alphas aren't exactly hanging on the rack at a hardware store for me to go read. Anyway, thanks, as you coincidentally did me a big favor!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it allows CR123s then it almost certainly does not have a low voltage cutoff for 16340s, since that cutoff would prevent the usage of CR123s. To get around that you have to do something fancy like HDS does where it detects the voltage and decides whether the battery is 16340 or CR123. But if they implemented that feature they'd probably advertise it.

Not really very "fancy" in '21 - more like 'old hat' to me now, but perhaps I'm just spoiled. I expect this feature in a modern, quality design. Both of the two Fenix 1xCR123A/16340 lights I use (PD25 & RC09) employ this technique for enabling their 'Low Voltage Warning / Indication' feature, and as I recall they're about 5 years old now, and cost far less than the newly updated light under discussion here. It appears to work very well in practice / my experience, I would also add. That's why I was surprised (actually shocked) to find that this new light (apparently) lacks this feature. One need not spend big money to get good features these days, but that said, when one does spend 'good money', they should expect good features.

Coincidentally, I was pleasantly surprised when, having slipped a bit and lost track of my SOC just last week (yes, it can happen), I discovered that my ET D25C MKII also incorporates 'low voltage warning indication', which was likely added with the MKII update for, among other improvements, 'proper' 16340 (lithium ion) support (sound familiar?). As far as I can determine, that 'feature' is not documented anywhere in the product documentation / specifications info, but it's there, and that was a very pleasant surprise for me! Edit: 'Pleasant' meaning it didn't punish me for my error by leaving me in sudden and sustained darkness, which in my use environment(s), can seriously compromise my personal safety.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It does not have low voltage protection because it was designed to work with primary batteries. It does however have the capability of using RCR batteries for that extra kick they can provide.

Elzetta has always built lights around primary batteries but with so many police opting for rechargeable batteries these days have added to option for those as well.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not have low voltage protection because it was designed to work with primary batteries. It does however have the capability of using RCR batteries for that extra kick they can provide.

Elzetta has always built lights around primary batteries but with so many police opting for rechargeable batteries these days have added to option for those as well.

To quote something a great flashaholic once said:
"Welp, that's it. You've talked me out of one. My wallet thanks you."
:)

There are a few applications where rechargeables are not ready for prime time. One is WMLs on guns with heavy recoil. I've seen quite a few 18650s get their tops smashed in from the recoil when mounted on a shotgun.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after 2-1/2 weeks, I just got back my Alpha Gen 3 from getting repaired/replaced. (Link to my post above, describing the issue). Elzetta stated... "Tested and found an electronic ground deficiency in the driver module. Replaced driver module. Tested and confirmed 100% factory spec operation"

Anyhow, it appears to be working correctly.
congrats!!!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after 2-1/2 weeks, I just got back my Alpha Gen 3 from getting repaired/replaced. (Link to my post above, describing the issue). Elzetta stated... "Tested and found an electronic ground deficiency in the driver module. Replaced driver module. Tested and confirmed 100% factory spec operation"

Anyhow, it appears to be working correctly.

Thanx for that follow-up. Sounds like they responded as I expected ( consistent with their reputation), deserve extra points for providing a basic description of the root cause, and that root cause is also typical of what I generally expected. Good ending, and their response speaks well of them. Enjoy!!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm absolutely loving mine. Been carrying it everyday since I got it. I see the eBay guy that was selling them at a greatly reduced price is nowhere to be found on there now. Should of gotten another when I had the chance.

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
So, I get my Alpha back from repair, seems to work perfect. Played with it a total of five minutes and than went about my evening. Woke up at 5 AM, used the Alpha and it only comes on low....High/Low tail cap is tightened all the way. If I loosen it, it still runs on low. Pull the battery out and checked it on my DMM and it's at 2.806v. Popped in a new CR123a, and high now works. Switching between a fresh CR123a and the 2.806v one, Fresh = High, 2.806v = Low only.

Anyhow, does the Alpha really drop out to low only at 2.8v? Is this because of 16350 compatibility and the type of driver?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So, I get my Alpha back from repair, seems to work perfect. Played with it a total of five minutes and than went about my evening. Woke up at 5 AM, used the Alpha and it only comes on low....High/Low tail cap is tightened all the way. If I loosen it, it still runs on low. Pull the battery out and checked it on my DMM and it's at 2.806v. Popped in a new CR123a, and high now works. Switching between a fresh CR123a and the 2.806v one, Fresh = High, 2.806v = Low only.

Anyhow, does the Alpha really drop out to low only at 2.8v? Is this because of 16350 compatibility and the type of driver?
Yup. A primary at 2.8 unless it's on a low voltage led say a malkoff M31 is basically dead. Just put one that was 2.86 in my alpha and it's low only.

shouldn't happen after 5 minutes though. I have run primary cells in mine and they last quite awhile on high. Sure your cell was new?

Hemicrusher

Newly Enlightened
Yup. A primary at 2.8 unless it's on a low voltage led say a malkoff M31 is basically dead. Just put one that was 2.86 in my alpha and it's low only.

shouldn't happen after 5 minutes though. I have run primary cells in mine and they last quite awhile on high. Sure your cell was new?
Well, it was the battery that Elzetta sent the repaired Alpha back with. Silly me for thinking Elzetta would pop a fresh cell in it after testing and warranty work.