Emisar D4

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out about this light this morning. I have been looking for a nice cap light. Would this be suitable for that? Does it come with a clip and, if so, is the clip oriented the correct way for use on a baseball cap?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock clip is one way, so you'd need a two-way replacement. Plus my 18650 version would be way too hefty for me to comfortably wear on the beak of my cap. The 18350 version does not come with a clip

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
EThe quad's lobes are much less obvious and the film smoothes them out just fine.

I knew about the lobes before buying, and was a bit concerned they'd be obnoxious, but in practice, I hardly notice them at all unless I rotate the light. It's rather interesting how suddenly they seem to appear like propellers if I do that, but then once I stop and look away for a moment, I stop noticing them again.

I have no idea if they can be shipped to Russia, but I've read that Mountain Electronics has a compatible MCPCB available where each solder pad is at a slightly different angle. For whatever reason, this reportedly further reduces the lobes. It is a bit thinner than the stock, however, so a thicker o-ring is supposed to be used if installed in the D4 to press the front lens and optic properly in place.

I think this is the MCPCB:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_64&product_id=849

You've probably already seen that some folks are trying the floodier 10623 optic in their D4's. I don't know if that would be better or about the same as your diffusion film.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Iamlucky13, thanks for suggesting this pcb.

I just wanted to clarify my point re the lobes. I had removed the optics altogether wanting to get a mule. In this case each of the 4 leds produced a circle of light. The lobes come from the intersections of these circles. It was this complex beam structure that I smoothed out by means of the film.

I completely agree that unless one intentionally begins to rotate the light, even those optics-free lobes are quite tolerable, that is why btw the A2 is so useable with its 3 leds.

I got the frosted optics along with the clear one but eventually preferred the flexibility of the clear+film combo

Last edited:

Nev

Banned
The stock clip is one way, so you'd need a two-way replacement. Plus my 18650 version would be way too hefty for me to comfortably wear on the beak of my cap. The 18350 version does not come with a clip

The clip can be reversed , there is a groove at the top and bottom of the battery tube so you can have it either way.
Same for the D1.

boo

Newly Enlightened
The reviews on MTN. Electronics may be suspect. I think the are only posting positive reviews and discarding any negative comments.
I posted that the Quad 4 gets too hot too fast on turbo. Mtn. Electronics did not post my review.
I do like the flashlight but, be aware, it gets hot fast. The turbo setting cannot be used for very long.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
The reviews on MTN. Electronics may be suspect. I think the are only posting positive reviews and discarding any negative comments.
I posted that the Quad 4 gets too hot too fast on turbo. Mtn. Electronics did not post my review.
I do like the flashlight but, be aware, it gets hot fast. The turbo setting cannot be used for very long.

Which version xpl hi or nichia? I know for sure nichia get hot quick and xpl hi heat much slower and don't get as hot.
586a5ef46e018af2fe8fd96cf8572def.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
boo, its widely known it gets hot fast, in fact i cant think of any light that gets hotter faster than the D4(certainly the 219c). Its near 4000lm, size of a ZL 600 series.................its crazy! Also for $40 its a lot of light, decent driver UI with lots of features. Decent components to boot, your getting a lot for your money! .............
For any duration, output needs to be limited nearer 500- 600lm ish as with any or most single 18650 lights. Its a hot rod, fun hand held sun flashlight. Enjoy it for what it is, if you need 4000lm for minutes and not seconds, a jump in size to pop can is needed.

:)

stfc69

Newly Enlightened
Isn't there a warning on the International Outdoors website about the high heat output? Not sure about Mountain Electronics though.

I've just received my 5th D4/D1, this one is a 4000k XP-G2, fantastic tint :thumbsup:

Keitho

Enlightened
In my mind, a warning about the heat on this light is just as silly as a warning about the heat generated by a hand-held lighter (that is, for either one, if you use it properly, you won't get burned, and if you use it foolishly, you can hurt yourself; with the out-of-the-box Emisar D4 settings, unlike a lighter, it is very difficult to start a fire). But, Intl-outdoor says this on the product page:

"WARNING...Emisar D4 puts a high lumen output but generates a lot of heat at the same time"

Mtn-electronics doesn't have a warning on their product page. While I don't think that pain and suffering are a fair consequence for foolish usage of the lights (or any other product), I do have to admit that I get a fair bit of satisfaction when I hear of or see a rare instance when someone actually has to deal with a consequence for their uninformed action.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
In my mind, a warning about the heat on this light is just as silly as a warning about the heat generated by a hand-held lighter (that is, for either one, if you use it properly, you won't get burned, and if you use it foolishly, you can hurt yourself; with the out-of-the-box Emisar D4 settings, unlike a lighter, it is very difficult to start a fire). But, Intl-outdoor says this on the product page:

"WARNING...Emisar D4 puts a high lumen output but generates a lot of heat at the same time"

Mtn-electronics doesn't have a warning on their product page. While I don't think that pain and suffering are a fair consequence for foolish usage of the lights (or any other product), I do have to admit that I get a fair bit of satisfaction when I hear of or see a rare instance when someone actually has to deal with a consequence for their uninformed action.

Lol I enjoy it as well. Some people just should stick to aa or d sized lights if they are gonna cry.

SG1

Newly Enlightened
Lights I have: Klarus xt11 600lms, Klarus xt11GT 1600lms, Acebeam L16 (doesn't work after drop on concret) 1700lms, Zebralight SC52w 500lms (I count on this light👍), Sunwayman T20C 440lms, Maglite 3D Cell 145lms...

My previous EDC was the zebra, the one that has taken its place is....

EMISAR D4 219C with newer CRI rating. +93. Long story short, thislight is the best $40 I have spent in the years I've collected LED lights. I think I'm spoiled with Nichia leds at this point. The User interface is the most intuitive, SIMPLE STUPID I've seen as well.

boo

Newly Enlightened
You know it all s can jump down off your soap box now. I`m sure everyone appreciates your superior knowledge.
I cannot post what i`m really thinking.

SG1

Newly Enlightened
Boo,

it sounds to me like you have Had a negative experience with the Emisar D4. Like Ven and many other Knowledable CPF/BLF forum members have said, the light WILL get HOT if ran continuously on Turbo, especially with 219C leds. 99.9 % of the time, i use the regulated output below 150 lumens for general lighting use And seldom use the higher output to conserve battery life. MY experience may be different than yours so please chime in. Maybe your light was DOA? Something wrong with the firmware? Did you burn yourself? Please explain the deficiency your having, but don't knock the light and the perspective of others and their input on it.

boo

Newly Enlightened
If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long.
It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long.
It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.

Keep in mind the light is thermally regulated so you can use Turbo as long as you want. It will step down as needed to keep the lights temperature within a safe range. You can even set the thermal threshold lower if you want the light to step down sooner/more aggressively to keep it cooler.

ven

Flashaholic
Apologies for any offence boo, none intended. I just presumed with the crazy output and small form factor, buyers would be aware of the heat generated(and one should never presume ).

Either way, i hope you carry on enjoying it and it grow on you more. Who knows, you may be tempted with the D1 and D1s which complement the D4 very well. Also these can handle the heat a lot better being single LED and a little larger in size(especially the D1s).
:)

Enlightened
If you will reread my post, I said I LIKE the light. My post was to simply inform potential new buyers that the light gets very hot on turbo and cannot be ran that way for long. It was no big deal. Just a simple heads up. I did not expect people to jump down my throat. Once a person learns to use the light at half throttle, and use turbo sparingly. then all is good.
It's billed and sold as a hot rod. The target consumer should be aware and familiar with the problems and limitations beforehand.

Latest posts