"Extreme condition" flashlight

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Johnn writes:
===============================
d'mo, I didn't catch in the CPF post that they may not be able to afford batteries.

One possibility is that you just assume you will provide the batteries. I could see a kit with a CMG Infinity and individually vacuum packed lithium AA cells. A small pile of batteries could last them a long, long time (if used sparingly). Why, oh why are there no lithium AAA batteries. Grrr.

I think the shake lights are bound to be the most reliable both for the given environment and also for shelf life. Solar pannels do degrade over time. However, as you have read, it appears the shake lights are very annoying requiring a lot of work for little light. However, having something that works and is reliable may be a winner. Too bad these critters are so expensive for what they are.

Perhaps that is the answer. Maybe we need a CPF mod challenge to build the ultimate emergency light, maybe something like the shake lights but with better efficency/capacity.

It would be interesting to see if how things would be different if it was based on a 2-3D/C Maglite. You could have a lot of coil, and get a honkin magnet and pair it with something like 3 5MM LEDs (ala Attitude/Newbeam).

Hmmm.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo writes:
===================================

Hello D'mo and John,

Pardon my butting in. D'mo, do your inlaws have access to 12 volts? What about using one of the small 12 volt gell batteries as a power source? I could build you a small lantern that would be waterproof as well as salt air resistant. It could contain a small gell cell and external jack for charging from an automotive battery, solar panel or whatever. This would certainly be larger than an Arc or Infinity but not much bulkier than the shake light. I already have waterproof LED light heads in clusters of 3 or 9 LED's, drawing 20 mA and 45 mA respectively.

- Don

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo writes:
========================

Quotes John N:
------------------------
Maybe we need a CPF mod challenge to build the ultimate emergency light, maybe something like the shake lights but with better efficiency/capacity.
-john
------------------------

Now that's a great idea! Heck, I'd just like to hear the suggestions! For now, I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a shake light. Does anyone have any preferences or real-world experience with them?

Good point about the solar panels - I didn't realize they would degrade over time. Do you have any data on solar cell longevity?

The problem with sending them batteries is the expense. Just for shipping, I typically look at about $130. Granted, the boxes are 20" square, but my wife always has all kinds of goodies to send (packing has become an art form in itself). We've also had problems with pilferage - the boxes sometimes are not as full when they arrive as when they left and batteries are a frequent target. To be honest, it's not worth shipping batteries unless they are hand carried. The next trip, I'll definitely use your vacuum packing idea!

A agree with you about the AAA lithium batteries. Personally, I'd love for all of they to have an Arc-AAA - undoubtedly one of the best flashlights I own. Unfortunately, I've learned over 10 years of marriage that my in-laws aren't the most technologically minded. Most of the gadgets I've sent to make their lives better... don't. Not because they're not good gadgets, but because they're neglected or misused and the environment takes it's toll. Don't ask about the Photon IIs I took over last time, Grrrr! [[Mad]] Unless it's "idiot proof," simple to operate or very familiar technology, it's not likely going to last.

McGizmo, you are NOT butting in - I REALLY value ALL of the CPF suggestions I've received.

My in-laws have 220 VAC, but it's not particularly reliable - lots of power outages. The 12 VDC lantern is a sound idea, but my in-laws can't even handle charging NiCds (I tried sending them some about six years ago - the 120 VAC charger was plugged into 220 VAC without the step-down transformer and they let out the magic smoke. The batteries were scrapped as soon as the charge died.) They have no 12 VDC, unless I supply it for them. Solar is always good. I sent them a solar/dynamo radio in 2000. I'll have to check to see if it's still functional. If so, an "idiot proof" environmentally hardened 12 VDC solar-charged lantern might fit the bill. Excellent suggestion.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo writes (in response to query about the failure mode of Photons):
=================================================

I took over a handful of Photon 2s. One, a turquoise, was list in Minneapolis airport on the way there as a result of having to make an unscheduled landing due to a ruptured cooling duct.

Strike one, but just due to bad luck.

The rest made it, but the constant high humidity caused the batteries to rust in less than a week. Good quality replacement batteries in the Tagbilaran, Bohol were about $6 each (which my in-laws could not afford).

Strike two.

Having to remove the batteries (dog-gone tiny screws!) was not much fun either as several of the screws were never to be seen again.

Strike three.

Reassembling them proved to be just as difficult as the LED contacts had been moved ever-so-slightly during disassembly. When the two halves were reassembled, the light would not turn off! It took hours to get them successfully readjusted again.

Strike four.

On several occasions, some of the lights got a bit wet. When this happened, they turned on very dimly and would not turn off. There was apparently enough current passing through the water to illuminate the LED. Squeezing or using the switch would produce full brightness, but they would not turn off. I ended up disassembling them, drying them out and everything was OK, but the batteries continued to rust at an unbelievable rate. This lesson taught me never to take a non-waterproof flashlight to the Philippines.

Strike five.

Because the P2s really didn't fit the bill, I ended up bringing all but two home. They receive daily household use, but only for the most mundane tasks.

The P3 is a VAST improvement on the P2 due to the waterproofing, no-tool battery change and no need to remove the LED assembly, but the cost of the batteries themselves kills them for use by my in-laws.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not knocking the Photons, I own more than a dozen, but they just were not the best choice for "extreme condition" flashlights.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam writes:
========================================

D'mo - The shake lights are true "emergency" lights - bright for about the first minute, dimming rapidly (by "bright", I mean about as bright as an ARC AAA at the very start). In pitch darkness you can use them pretty well, though, and they'll emmit light all night (but only enough to use as a marker) on one charge. Get the clear ones - they act like a lantern if set down on their face (but again, only for a short time...)

Check my reviews pages for info and beam picture comparisons against an ARC AAA LE.

Doug P http://thelightsite.cruxial.com

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigcat wrote:
================================

warning following light is available from "hcatob" -- certain members may want to leave the room -- looks solid as a rock to me, all- condition tested, available with 1 or 5 white LEDs and uses a single 123 battery... (sensitive persons avert your eyes now) http://www.botachtactical.com/novalabvipxpro.html
what do you think d'mo?
(..mm that "preview box is useful ! can we have one?)
-bigcat aka Ted The Led

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock writes:
==============================

d'mo, solar panels do "de-rate" over time, but it is not by much compared to most things. They have no moving parts to break, they just sit and make power (as long as you have sun). Most of them are rated at not less then 90% or rated power after 25 years or a 10% loss every 25 years. So you really aren't looking at much loss. Pretty good return as far as I can tell, I like them [[Smile]]

--------------------
Brock - my led site and flashlight site

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm writes:
=============================================

Quoting d'mo:
----------------------------------------------
A few years ago, I shipped about a dozen AA Mag lights. All were thrown away within a month as the heat corroded the carbon-zinc batteries, causing them to become stuck inside. Sea salt ended up eating what was left in short order. No this is not a joke or exaggeration.

d'mo,
----------------------------------------------

Most people think of lithium batteries' excellent cold weather performance not realizing that they also function well in very hot weather where they are probably more reliable than alkalines. I'm no authority in this area, but I have read that in several discussions.

Brightnorm

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo writes (in response to recomendation of light from hcatob):
=================================================

It looks like an interesting light, but the 123 battery is too expensive in the Philippines.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo writes (in response to brightnorm's recommendation for lithiums):
====================================================

Brightnorm,
The problem I had was not battery performance, but water and humidity intrusion rusting them. When the lithium batteries were rust free, they always ran well.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigcat writes:

have you checked out the waterproof, solar panel rechargeable, Solaris Lantern? It's the best of the bunch I think --
(haven't shopped these places)
(???)-- http://www.cleanenergy.de/companies/airtherm/lantern.html
desription of SOLARIS
smile.gif
- http://www.getyergear.com/lighting/solaris_mi.html
(used to have solaris - now they have this
smile.gif
- http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm?dp=210

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
I'm adding some some of the posts on this topic from the SF board (posted while CPF was down).

-john
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
nice move John, thanks!
now if you could also please rescue my opus on the 'brigadier, grenadier, and the petard', I , and the world, would be forever grateful..but where to put it?
tongue.gif

..maybe I'll go get it myself..
smile.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
bigcat writes:

have you checked out the waterproof, solar panel rechargeable, Solaris Lantern?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bigcat,

Yes, I looked at them. Wonderful equipment, but a bit too bulky to carry back and forth to the outhouse.
wink.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here`s my pick...the Free light...true the spill light off the side can affect night vision...but I question how often it would be used for trails and the never need a batt is a big plus.

Second pick (or both) the new CMG ultra, same as the Infinity but with a more powerfull step-up and maybe some regulation as well...bright as a ARC...probably run 15~20 hour on 1 plain old non-alkiline AA ...water proof...not sure about the heat, but my old Infinity has sat on the dash of a van here in Florida and still works the same as it always did...dim.

Ken

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, I think the Ultra G would be a good choice as well. It just wasn't available when the thread started.

The good thing about the Ultra G would be the ability to use cheap and common batteries well.

It also should be pretty much indestrucable.

With the Ultra, it should be bright enough for a lot more functions.

Of course all this goes for the Ultra (non-G) as well, but it sounds like you'll be able to get your mits on a Ultra G faster.

-john

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Here in South Florida my boat is in the Keys so the conditions are 100% humidity and hot with salt water mist. I only use various DIVE LIGHTs on the boat. You can get very durable lights using standard batteries with any size output you want that are good down over 150 feet deep in the ocean. None dive lights have not held up on the boat for very long.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Extreme condition light...

Well I know what I would not suggest...Don't bring an Inova X5. A friend of mine just dropped his less then 3 feet and it doesn't work anymore.

I still like mine but I would not trust it in any harsh environment.

S.

Latest posts