"Extreme condition" flashlight

tygger

Enlightened
has anyone mentioned the expedition 300? that would be about as durable a flashlight as you can get. and its very cheap to run, 3 C cells.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Yeah Chas, that Ultra G looks nice. I'd sure like to see a review. I'll bet Craig at the LED Museum or one of our other esteemed reviewers would be delighted to give it a spin.

Azreal911

Enlightened
hmmm after reading all these points for some really good flashlights, I think D'mo's only option is to buy his whole family some nightstar shake flashlights. they seem the best because you don't have to open it and i find the weak point on the entire flashlights the way they are treated are in the batteries! There are really no akalines or carbon zincs that could take the heat in the car in direct sunlight for long periods without exploding, it's the whole nature of the battery (do not dispose in fire, heheh). and the heat of the sun in a car can get pretty ugly. so Reason the night star might be his only option is
1)no need to open it, so no moisture will ever get into it to start mould.
2)no batteries to replace or ruin the light, so this is financially sound and safer. i'm not sure about the chemical nature of the capacitor in there so someone will have to provide some details on this.
3)no bulb to replace!
4)it's waterproof! useful in all rainy conditions during monsoon season.

so if they are doing like quick jaunts around the house with this in the middle of the night, it's like the best option out there!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
C Crane sells a self powered wind-up flashlight by coleman that can be also be charged from the mains. May be worth looking into. Bulb is dual filament design - one high, one low output. 30 sec of winding gives 5 min of light. I bet if you replace the bulb with LEDs, you'll get a lot longer runtime. However, I do not know how watertight it is. I'm sure a call to C Crane would get you an answer, though.

http://ccrane.com/coleman_sentinel.asp

I think this or a Nightstar shake light would be the best bet.

d'mo

Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can get the smaller style shake light (6") at the best price? I'd like to give one a try.

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
if you decide to go with the freelight, which is really a nice light for edc be sure to work out some sort of a clip system for constant on. i used the clip from a pen but you might get corrosion problems with that. maybe you could dip it in plastidip or something. anyways, it shouldn't be too tough to find a clip to keep the button down. i believe the fisher bullet pen clips will work. another thing to consider is you might make a longer lanyard for them out of paracord so they could wear them around their necks. i'm sure there are other possiblities there too.

- Pete

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
If I were you, I'd get a 2nd gen. (new) CMG Infinity. Try to order some lithium AAs with it as they give twice the life & are brighter. I love my CPF edition Arc-AAA, but AAs are common, the Infinity is cheap and bombproof, and I have had no problems with mine "in the field" in places like Thailand (for example).

Here are the lights I currently have:

SureFire M2 w/ (1) spare carrier, usually a P-61 LA and a FM65 red filter cap + (2) spares carriers
SureFire E2e HA (with a red filter if necessary)
Brinkman Legend LX
Pelican MityLight (2AAA) w/ clear & red lenses & opaque cover
Pelican 2AA angle light (I think the model name is: "lightning bug"…?)
Princeton Tec Tec-40 w/ red (& clear) lenses (Lithium AAs)
Princeton Tec Matrix headlamp (w/ Lithium AAs)
Princeton Tec Predator (camo) headlamp (w/ Lithium AAs, Matrix LED mod, and red lens cover)
Maglite 3D w/ LED conversion
(2) 'normal' Maglite 3Ds
Maglite 2AA (lithium) w/ magnet & clip
Streamlite Polypro 3C Police
Arc-AAA (CPF edition
smile.gif
)
Inova X5 (titanium / white)
CMG (2nd Gen.) Infinity (red LED) w/ Lithium AA)
CMG (2nd Gen.) Infinity (green LED) w/ Lithium AA)
CMG (2nd Gen.) Infinity (white LED) w/ Lithium AA)
Photon II (red)
Photon II (white)
Photon II (turquoise)
Candle lantern (w/ LED base
smile.gif
)
Eveready 3AAA "el cheapo"
Eveready 2D "el inexpensivo"
wink.gif

I have owned many others in addition to these, but the following are what I actually still use regularly:

EDC:
Arc-AAA CPF edition (on key ring)

Briefcase:
SureFire E2e HA - in briefcase
Inova X5 (titanium / white) - in briefcase

Field Duty:
SureFire M2 (with M65 red filter cap + 1 SC1)
Princeton Tec Predator headlamp (camo) headlamp (w/ Lithium AAs, Matrix LED mod, and red lens cover)
CMG (2nd Gen.) Infinity (red LED) w/ Lithium AA) - on neck lanyard, main map light
Princeton Tec Tec-40 w/ red (& clear) lenses (Lithium AAs) - back-up to M2 & source of spare batts for PT headlamp
Candle lantern (w/ LED base) - nice to have in tent
smile.gif

Nightstand:
Streamlite Polypro 3C Police (with WriteRight film mod.)
Glock 20 w/ 15+1 10mm (oops...not a light!!!
wink.gif
)

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Would anyone consider Eternalights for such an extreme environment. Uses regular AA's, LONG battery life, Waterproof, Dimmable, signaling or S.O.S., and TOUGH. read this..

http://techass.com/el/testi3.jpg

AS Far as heat I've left mine on the dash in Phoenix, AZ in 115° heat with no problem.

My parents are from the Philipines so I asked them what they thought. They said the problem would be that people would steal the lights
tongue.gif

- Randy

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd bring an Eternalight with me. Just make sure that if you own any new Elite model (either the XRay Elite or Marine Elite) that you *DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE CASE*.

Tom Hoops (MrEternalight) recommends that you tighten only til the seal begins to compress, and no further. This is because the fine threads of the new stainless steel screws and brass inserts in this model can produce enough force to stress the polycarbonate casing beyond its limits. I've experienced this myself and have ruined a perfectly good flashlight otherwise.

Apart from that, this flashlight is about as indestructable you could get for any plastic-bodied flashlight.