(FAILED) Let's Build a $10 AAA Regulated Luxeon I Light...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Let's Build a $10 AAA Regulated Luxeon I Light...

If the goal is to make an inexpensive light, that runs for a long time on a very commonly available battery, perhaps it would be easier just to direct drive a standard, run of the mill Luxeon from a standard CR 123 (not R type). I have done this with K bin Vf, and it works fine, at a reduced current flow of course.

To some extent, it is self limiting, as higher currents drop the voltage. A small resistance or diode would be nice.

Quick, easy, simple, not expensive charging, and a very long run time at reasonable current flows.

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened

I would like a C cell form factor my self, It would then be slightly bigger than the arc-4 and run practicly forever on a single cheap cell. On a related note, I picked up a holiday packaged 20 pack of AAA alkalines today for $1.99 + tax on clearence.

I can not find someone locally to grind a casing for a prototype. A welding shop is no where close to a machine shop, especially when it measures in cubits.

I would prefer materials in order of preference:
Stainless steel
Naval brass
Aluminum

We also have a sizing issue with the Lux-I, it will not fit in a AAA casing with out the leads being bent all to hell. AA is the smallest diameter board it can be soldered to.

The Cree 7090 will fit AAA diameter just barely.

ViReN: Do you have a sketch of the casing in mind? Rough idea on how you would like everything to fit together? Can the head be about the size of a AA and the body a AAA?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

DC, I am currently working on the Design aspect of the "Business End" of the light.

The basic light would be exactly of same size as that of Peak 1 LED AAA Pocket (smallest one) (clicky will add some length)

for the advanced one, i am thinking the size of head to be aproximately that of 3 LED Peak AAA light.

I am also thinking on the similar aspects (LED Leads) being bent. will post pictures soon.

Also, i have looked in for a Clicky Tailcap switch and procured some samples... and will be posting some pictures.... and what a surprise... i got, it's a Two State Switch ;) (yes the diameter is less than a AAA Cell) :) ... this is what i plan to use for a Basic AAA Light ....

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened

ViReN: With the dual state tail switch are you planning to use just resistors?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

DC, Yes for the basic Model. I have also looked for a special switch for Advanced model. Today and tomorow i will be on travel .... so wont be able to post more for a couple of days.

however, here is what i had in mind prior to discovering the 2 stage switch.

1AAA_Lux_001.gif

the dimentions are in MM, base of this design is Peak AAA 1 Led light.

The body is exactly same as peak (if peak is manufacturing this light) then only head needs to be slightly modified. that too only in the reflector part which is actually screwed down from the top ... so with only one simple part being slightly changed, peak can make basic light keeping rest of the process same.

for the Dual Stage Basic model will need re designed Body also the length will increase atleast by 15 mm. so we might need to have another poll for size v/s simplicity.

there is enough room for the electronics in the head (simple LDO / PIC etc)

Last edited:

glire

Enlightened

I was thinking, about the basic model, maybe a DD with a high Vf Luxeon.
No driver at all, cost reduced.
Maybe Luxeon III like T##M are quite cheap (high Vf -> no demand -> low cost).
The downside is when the LiIon is fully charged, current would be well above 70mA, but it should fall rapidly. A (Vf,I) graphic for a T##M should be interesting. Once LiIon goes below 3.99V (that's T##M lowest Vf) current should fall.

If fully charged LiIon voltage is too high, a sckotty diode in series should help.

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened

I just got back from the hack-shack to discover they carry Lithium AA cells, not Li-ION. But still it makes me want to go with a AA size light instead of a AAA one.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have good and bad news both together....

Good News... is that i attempted ....
DCP_5095_Assembly.jpg

the switches (source from local market, basically made in china) were NOT up to the mark... :( 3 out of 7 switches failed to operate reliably ... i searched for them on the net for made in USA switches but :( the cost of the switch itself is about $3 - $5 in quantity of 1000's .... less than 10 price is about $8 (remember, it's a two stage switch and has specification of 45,000 operating cycles)

bad news is...
after looking at the signup thread... where the quantity of each required to have this project economically viable unfortunately very less. (even optimistic totals to less than 300 adding both basic and advanced version) with a poll closing date of 27th Feb, i dont see it would be any way near 1000's in any case...

even if the quantity reaches the 1000's mark, the cost of building this light in USA (which is a prime motive) is no less than $30 - $35 range (this seriously hurts the motive of the project)

the reason for the high cost are as follows
1) High Machining & Anodizing costs
2) High assembly costs
3) misc. costs such as support and infrastructure costs....
4) Unavilibility of LED's at cost (that was previously thought of) for a specific bin.... (RXOH, RXOJ)
5) Shipping of raw materials from one place to other... Taxes... and loads of other expenses

mere cost of raw materials added together DOES NOT make it total for a complete product manufacture.

add to the expences of charger and battery .....

total cost of basic light itself will be around (a dream shattering) $55 - $60

it was a real learning experience for me ...

i request moderators to close this thread & signup as it wont be going any further.... the basic motive was to make a $10 li-Ion AAA Regulated Luxeon I Light... "the idea was nice... but not practical" ... as some one said it... and i dont see this going any where ...

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
You gave it your best shot and that is all that counts. I am sorry that I could not help and/or sign up for a light. I really did want to see you succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.