• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler - Programmable Hotwire Regulated Driver drop-in for D-M@g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler for D M@g Programmable Hotwire Driver

jasonck08, no price has even been discussed...so not seeing why you made that comment this early.

Alan
that all sounds like what I expected. I think 50 is a good estimate, and I am 100% sure those will all be sold. Are you going to preserve the ability for people to do their own AVR 'fiddling' ? If it helps, lock me in for 5 of them.

I sure plan to keep the "programmability in situ" feature in, since I want it myself. I don't myself plan to change bulb types in a given light, but I do want to develop different User Interfaces and be able to put them in and really use them. This regulator should work well on direct drive LEDs also, so that would be interesting for some of my projects as well.

I'm getting close to being ready to order the next batch of prototype PC Boards. These should be good to go, but I'll do one more prototype run. I need to get a little farther on the measurement verification, especially the pushbutton switch board before I do that. Probably be ready within a week, boards take a week, so in 2 weeks might have new boards.

The biggest issue is the final dimensions on the metalwork. Possibly will make another prototype, if I can find my workbench under all the aluminum swarf that's already there. I may have some help there from someone with an NC mill, so maybe we'll do a small run of prototype metal to go with the prototype run of PCBoards. I have most of the parts for a few more. I'd estimate that we may have a 'dimensionally close' prototype or several in a month or so unless I get derailed.

-- Alan

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lux, in the first post he said target was under $100. So I assumed it would be around that price… For me, that's too much, but for others that might be a "steal." It looks like a lot of work is going into these though, and the profits will be well deserved! Best of luck on finishing up this awesome project!

Thanks for the wish, we might need it to get through some of the tasks ahead. The biggest worry is probably the metal, I'd hate to plunk down a couple of grand on parts and find out they don't fit... :oops: So I spend a lot of time and care on getting it right, but that is not always enough. There is some risk.

If you (or others) are interested, I am certainly going to have a couple of the first prototype PC boards left over if anyone wants to make some metalwork to support one. Heck, it doesn't have to be metal, some serious dremel work on a stock plastic M@g switch and KIU base should produce something useable. This regulator doesn't generate any significant heat with most bulbs. The design is on the web, you can also breadboard it from scratch. There's enough room in a D M@g for that as well. You could have one working before we even get these made up.

-- Alan

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the way this will shake out is there will be two choices for the D M@g. The M@gSled here and JimmyM's. By all indications JimmyM's will be less expensive. It will not be as easy to install or program since it will be mounted inside the KIU base and will require hacking the M@g switch. This M@gSled will be a drop-in. So there will probably be choices at different price points that make sense.
-- Alan
You are correct on both counts. Cheaper and more involved. My version be in way under $100. Actually, under $50. I have to look into possible assembly costs before. I think our 2 designs actually compliment each other very well. Your's is a drop in simple install, that comes pre-programmed. Perfect for the non-fiddler who wants incan regulation, but it's more expensive. Mine is more for the do-it-yourselfer who has done some Mag switch mods in the past, but the upside is, it's cheaper.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in for one! I was hoping for a regulated C size but having a regulated D switch will be great.I will be be using either a 64623 with 12xAA or a 64430 with 3x26700 emoli's.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in for one! I was hoping for a regulated C size but having a regulated D switch will be great.I will be be using either a 64623 with 12xAA or a 64430 with 3x26700 emoli's.

Thanks for the input. There is no way these particular components will fit in a C body, but someone who wants to redesign in small surface mount may be able to make a variant that will fit. I expect that may happen later on, though I don't plan to do it and no one has offered to at this point.

-- Alan

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. There is no way these particular components will fit in a C body, but someone who wants to redesign in small surface mount may be able to make a variant that will fit. I expect that may happen later on, though I don't plan to do it and no one has offered to at this point.

-- Alan
With the currect components, no. But with your basic sled design, an SMD board could probably be designed. I have an incomplete design for a 23mm diameter board. With your sled layout there would be room for the same basic layout, just different board configuration and components. I think it would work very nicely.
None of us have time to do design now, but we've already seen that components small enough to fit can handle the power.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Progress Report: Today I drilled and tapped the sled, and made the B+ transfer block from brass. Right now it is trial-assembled and it fits the Sled. The lockscrew is in place and lines up with the hole in the PCB. I need to make a spacer for the negative terminal/board support and unsolder/resolder the wires for the socket, passing them through the M@gSled, and make a couple of 4-40 studs and cut the spacers for the bulb socket to length.

This prototype isn't quite as pretty as I'd like, but it looks like it will be functional soon.

-- Alan

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Further Progress: Did you want the good news or the bad news first?

The M@gSled prototype is finished and installed. I still need to get some spacers as the ones I got are not threaded all the way through so cutting them off won't work well. Actually I could make some but too late tonite. So the regulator is in and working. :thumbsup: It is sure nice to have it in a light instead of flopping around.

Two problems remain. One is that the switch board is a bit too long. This can be corrected in the next iteration.

The not so easy issue is support for the rubber cover over the switch. I had not looked at that detail closely enough. Have to revisit that now and see what we can come up with. I can think of one really neat solution, but it requires a better mill than mine.. :whistle:

-- Alan

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures of Completed M@gSled Hotwire Regulator Drop-in Prototype:

DSC_0688.JPG

DSC_0689.JPG

DSC_0690.JPG

DSC_0694.JPG

Last edited:

Bullet Bob

Enlightened

I'm in for at least one probably two of these.

donn_

Flashaholic

Very purty!

A couple of questions:

Will there be variable height stand-offs for the pedestal, and will there be enough slack in the lead wires to handle this?

Will the button boot fit down over that chunk of circuit board (directly behind the button) sufficiently to lock into the hole?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very purty!

A couple of questions:

Will there be variable height stand-offs for the pedestal, and will there be enough slack in the lead wires to handle this?

Will the button boot fit down over that chunk of circuit board (directly behind the button) sufficiently to lock into the hole?

Yes. Standoffs are presently 4-40. I could not get the nice hex ones at the hardware store so I got long screws and drilled aluminum rod to make the ones in the prototype.

The wires can be made whatever length we want. Have to decide what the longest standoff is and go from there. What length(s) are required?

The button support has been redesigned. The upgrade will mill the board space from the side and leave some aluminum across the top which will be drilled with a shoulder to support the button cover. It looks good on the CAD model, with a nice shelf to support the button cover rim on the underside, and the M@g body tube supporting it on the top side, same as in a stock M@g. I didn't pay much attention to that in the prototype, and the switch board in the prototype is a bit too high, so no button cover for the prototype for now.

-- Alan

donn_

Flashaholic

I guess the longest ones would be used with Modamag's Colossus. I don't have one of them yet. The longest I use are for FM and Delghi 3" heads, and for FM's deep reflector heads.

Lux can probably advise you best on the longest needed, as well as the increments to deal with different height lamps and focus points. He has all the parts.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks really nice.

My question is, will your regulators run good with 18 AA's? A regulated 6D 623, or even 85 setup seems like it would give reasonable (maybe greater than 20 minutes with a 623) runtime.

$100 is very reasonable.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that I look at it again, it looks like there needs to be a little planning still left.

How is the sled held in place inside of the light?

and

How does the switch cover get held in place?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that I look at it again, it looks like there needs to be a little planning still left.

How is the sled held in place inside of the light?

and

How does the switch cover get held in place?

Correct, already done or planned. There is still some detailed dimensioning to clean up.

The sled is held in place with a cone setscrew, same as the stock one. This is in the prototype.

The metalwork has been redesigned to hold the boot, not shown in the first prototype.

-- Alan

BSBG

Enlightened

Looks Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.