Fenix E01 Impressive Runtime

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Ooo... I'm equally impressed by the different tints of the E01... :eek:oo:
3lCOjF.jpg

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
Since I consider Fenix the reason why Surefire products got kicked out of my local shops, I try to stay away from their lights (my wife got a EO1 nonetheless).

But with threads like these, I am getting tempted to get one for me..... maybe.

Thanks for your runtime tests.

Cheers
Thorsten

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
They're a bit aurora borealis like.....
yea... I like the right 2 tints more... :sssh:

Since I consider Fenix the reason why Surefire products got kicked out of my local shops, I try to stay away from their lights (my wife got a EO1 nonetheless).

But with threads like these, I am getting tempted to get one for me..... maybe.
Thorsten, I was skeptical at first about the claimed runtime... now I own more than 1... :shrug: look at the tint comparison of E01 above... :oops:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
After more than 1 year(!), I've finally get my hands on a few US-made Duracell CopperTop AAA. My Fenix E01 turns off at exactly 66.5 hour (ok, +/- 2 minutes :nana:), with ~50 hours of useful brightness (including ~9 hours of "Sun" mode).

Needless to say... I'm extremely impressed with this combo: Fenix E01 + US-made Duracell CopperTop AAA ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Note to self:
Must find a cheaper way to buy more of these US-made Duracell CopperTop AAA, instead of buying a retail blister-pack Princeton Tec Blast just to get the US-made CopperTop batteries... :ohgeez:

Whacky

Newly Enlightened
Meh. I've had one for 2 years now, the tint looks like this guy::(

It's a decent "last resort" light. Unfortunately it fits into a niche I don't need. I have 3 types of light:

1) Primary
2) Backup
3) Always, always on me

It's certainly not a primary, not bright enough to be a backup. And my tiny coin-battery $3-per-dozen DX keychain lights fill the third
position (E01 is larger than what I want to carry on my keychain.)

The only thing I can think of it being good for is if you're caught suddenly without light for a vastly extended period of time, like being lost in the woods or having a power outage that lasts for days. You need to get stuff done like cooking dinner and using the bathroom, but you don't really need to see very far away. And you don't want to use your bigger lights for those menial duties. That's all I can come up with.

scout24

Flashaholic
Rookiedaddy- I'm glad you found some USA MADE Duracells, and that my runtime of 69hrs. seems to make a bit more sense now. I know there was some skepticisim when I posted that number, but I stood by it. The cells really do make the difference! :)

Whacky- Sorry you don't see the utility and value in the EO1, but that's one of the wonderful things about our hobby/ obsession- There's room for everyone, and their opinions based on needs or wants. Welcome to CPF!!! :)

Zendude

Enlightened
Rookiedaddy- check out the Kirkland Signature batts at Costco. They're made in the US and they sure do look like Duracell. ;) If I'm right, show me some love and sell me that E01 in the middle! Looks almost neutral ;p

scout24

Flashaholic
Not just single cell, monster runtime, but dead reliable and bordering on abuse proof. I still carry this one on my keys after the winter abuse test I did... For $12.50ea, get two! :)

P1010511.jpg

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
The only thing I can think of it being good for is if you're caught suddenly without light for a vastly extended period of time, like being lost in the woods or having a power outage that lasts for days. You need to get stuff done like cooking dinner and using the bathroom, but you don't really need to see very far away. And you don't want to use your bigger lights for those menial duties. That's all I can come up with.
... and ... that's exactly what it's for... :poke:
for me, it's a backup to the backup and it being a bombproof light is a bonus... checkout scout24's "EO1 winter abuse" thread and this_is_nascar's "My Quick Fenix E01 Torture Test" thread... :thumbsup:

Rookiedaddy- I'm glad you found some USA MADE Duracells, and that my runtime of 69hrs. seems to make a bit more sense now. I know there was some skepticisim when I posted that number, but I stood by it. The cells really do make the difference! :)
scout24, your runtime numbers is the reason behind my search for the US-made Duracell :grin2:

Rookiedaddy- check out the Kirkland Signature batts at Costco. They're made in the US and they sure do look like Duracell.
thanks for the heads up... ;)

Xacto

Enlightened

Exactly the reason why I currently have 3 E01 and think about getting another one (depending on how the E15 gets rated by others). One is sealed in plastic foil, with a sort of diffusor that was originally intended to keep lint out of the LED area and a lanyard -> backuplight when I get caught somewhere without light or my primary is just to bright (read - getting trapped in a cellar or elevator)
E01_Last_Ditch.jpg

a second one in the glove box of my car, attached to a rather long black/yellow former bootlace (from my childhood days - my first combat boot type of boots) and a third one that resides next to my laptop and usually gets used when all lights and the laptop screen are off and I have to find my way around the house.

Cheers
Thorsten
P.S.: And of course my wife has one on her keychain.
16_Vergleich.jpg

19_Vergleichb.jpg

Good thing the E01 has no lens - that would have been shattered by now many times. I am not much of a Fenix fan, but the E01 is very dear to me because of its qualities.

Zendude

Enlightened
Rookiedaddy,

What's up with the black E01 on the left(2nd pic)? Is the reflector filled in or is it the camera angle?

Nice pics by the way. :)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
What's up with the black E01 on the left(2nd pic)? Is the reflector filled in or is it the camera angle?
you are sharp! :thumbsup:
that's a diffuser film I stick onto the E01...

cons:
  • almost 20% light lost (guesstimate) with this film
    (I think you can get lower light lost if using DC-Fix film, can't verify coz I don't have the DC-Fix film)

pros:
  • the purple/blue tint is gone and replaced with warmer tint...
  • a useful flood light with long runtime
  • wifey no longer complaint "too bright" ever since... :whistle:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@tbenedict, i bought it from local ACE Hardware store, it's branded Deco Film. Model number: K55. It comes with adhesive backing and easy to apply and remove.