Fenix E11 (AA)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix E11 (1AA)

Why choose this over the LD15? The LD15 has a lower low with longer run time. This may have slightly more throw due to the emitter and TIR but who buys an ultra compact, single AA, keychain sized light looking for mega throw?

Hopefully its priced right. Thanks for the heads up though

and it tailstands, and no protruding tailswitch to erroneously activate in your pocket. I'm with you on the beam profile also, but some will prefer the e11 for its tailswitch + twist-head-for-level U.i. so they can preselect lo without having to cycle through hi first.

Had they shrouded the e11's tailswitch, or not changed the ld15 from its prototype, I'd have been down for either.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

At 3.7" it's not a keychain light so I'm not sure how it would fit in with my EDC rotation. I will try and figure it out but I wish it had the optics of the E05 and not the E15, I don't really like my E15 but I don't dislike it however my E05 is one of my favorites, I love the flood of it and I normally don't like very floody light's.

3.5" is about my point of limiting returns on edc length anyway, especially with twist u.i.'s. Don't notice much difference vs. tube of chapstick in my pocket.
It's just too bad the total reflection thing is getting more popular in these type of lights now.

tam17

Enlightened

A little comparison:

JetBeam PA01 (1*AA): max. 140lm, 1050cd, range 65m;
Fenix LD15 (1*AA): max. 117lm, 596cd, range 49m;
Fenix E11 (1*AA): max. 105lm, 1279cd, range 72m (all data ANSI).

Yet folks at Fenix claim E11 is "bright and soft flood light" :thinking:

Cheers,

Tam

pblanch

Enlightened

I love my LD15 (I bought 2 in case I lost one, I find them very classy) and although E11 looks kind of ugly too me I do like the specs Tam17 provided. I do like really low lows (1lm is great) I think the the 32lm is a great amount of light to work with and the 100lm would be great for the times you really need that extra. I have a E05 on my key chain and its awesome (bucket loads of light)

Not quite sure what you meant by the "total reflection thing"

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not quite sure what you meant by the "total reflection thing"

I think it's the thing that creates a small disc of light instead of a broader beam (per tam's specs assuming i;m understanding them correctly). I have a one-cell s.f. with similar sounding 'total reflection' technology whose beam i don't like for that reason. Probaby would find that type of beam more useful on their more powerful 2-cell + offerings.

tam17

Enlightened

In layman's terms, TIR optical system is basically a piece of precisely shaped high-clarity glass or plastic that creates an internal reflection (thus shaping the beam) instead of a "regular" mirror-type reflector (somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken).

As far as I understand, TIR is mostly used for throw, and that's why I've made the comparison in my previous reply (how can a flashlight with a highest Peak Beam Intensity value possibly be a soft flood light?)

But it should be noted that Fenix E05 - a typical floodlight - also has TIR optics (with diffuser incorporated, though).

Cheers,

Tam

davidV5

Newly Enlightened

Looks like I have found a light to replace my antique L1T. Although a low 20 lumen with longer run time will be better.

jupello

Enlightened

This looks promising if the price stays low and the beam is not too throwy :)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed, for $25 or so I would probably buy these as gifts for nonflashaholics.... It looks nice enough... I'm still a little leery of Fenix after my MC10 experience though...

RCantor

Enlightened

So why this one instead of the Xeno E03 XML which can go from 20 to 490 Lm depending on whether you use a NiMH or Li ion AA size battery and costs ~$30 depending on whether you get warm, neutral or cool?

JNieporte

Enlightened

So why this one instead of the Xeno E03 XML which can go from 20 to 490 Lm depending on whether you use a NiMH or Li ion AA size battery and costs ~$30 depending on whether you get warm, neutral or cool?

I love Fenix, but I agree...

Ian2381

Enlightened

Maybe the size, I have the Xeno E03 and like it very much but its a big AA light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed, for $25 or so I would probably buy these as gifts for nonflashaholics.... It looks nice enough... I'm still a little leery of Fenix after my MC10 experience though...

I figure it might be a couple bucks cheaper than the E15 which is ~$32 (before discount) so maybe the E11 will be between $27-$30.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if this is a good gift light, because the high mode has too much power draw for good alkaline utilization.
The Xeno X03 works with medium/low very well with alkalines.

But if you could get this shipped for $25 (from CPF discount) then that would makeup for the modes/spacing.

yliu

Enlightened

I don't understand why do they use an XPE. Does XPG have less throw even using a TIR?

yliu

Enlightened

Sorry posted the same thing twice. (Deleted)

Last edited:

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Same drive current, same reflector/optics size/type and the xpg will always have less throw.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds interesting.

However, i wish it had 2 *LOWER* levels, instead.

For my tastes, i'd prefer perhaps 1 to 3 Lumens, and 25-35 Lumens.

Yes! That sounds good to me!

I want my modes spaced by a factor of 9 or 10. Tripling the output puts the modes too close together to make the high mode worth using. Setting Low to 3 Lumens and High to 30 Lumens is about perfect for my typical use (that's how I have my HDS clicky set up, so this is not just speculation).

--flatline