Fenix, Jetbeam or Wait and see

Which single AA Cree XRE light are you leaning towards?

• Fenix L1D CE

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • JetBeam 1AA

Votes: 60 26.4%
  • Both

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Wait for the market to develop a little more

Votes: 80 35.2%

• Total voters

flame2000

Enlightened
JetBeam for the looks and the $26~$30 price is hard to beat in these GB's. You probably won't find a Fenix Cree XR-E lights for that kind of price.

I hope to see more JetBeam lights at such affordable price.:grin2:
Only wish that it came with a clickie.

lexina

Enlightened
I am getting 2 Jetbeams - the price is just too good to pass. Will wait for the Fenix pricing before deciding.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cast my vote for "Wait for the market to develop a little more", but with that said, I am on the waiting list for the Jetbeam AA light.

I am waiting for LumaPower to introduce a CREE AAA light. Ricky has mentioned that it is being researched. Their AA version should be announced in mid January. I can't wait!

datiLED

x2x3x2

Banned
it would be better to look at the different chinese lights as a single company.
each "brand" simply a sub family of products, if u know what i mean ;)

think about it, how much it cost to have machinery to use and work to produce these lights, do u think small "companies" like lumapower/jetbeam/liteflux/etc. can afford to release such products? even fenix dont manufacture their own products. fenix was one of the first names to release luxeon chinese lights, and have used that name to price their products accordingly. in short, u could call them a CPFer milking machine.. hehe..)

not that its a bad thing. just that they're a single collective, each of the different brands are just names which shouldnt mean anything to the end user. see a product from any of these "companies" which u think u like, might as well get it. They arent different like for example surefire/inova/maglite are.

Last edited:

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
it would be better to look at the different chinese lights as a single company.
each "brand" simply a sub family of products, if u know what i mean ;)

think about it, how much it cost to have machinery to use and work to produce these lights, do u think small "companies" like lumapower/jetbeam/liteflux/etc. can afford to release such products? even fenix dont manufacture their own products. fenix was one of the first names to release luxeon chinese lights, and have used that name to price their products accordingly. in short, u could call them a CPFer milking machine.. hehe..)

not that its a bad thing. just that they're a single collective, each of the different brands are just names which shouldnt mean anything to the end user. see a product from any of these "companies" which u think u like, might as well get it. They arent different like for example surefire/inova/maglite are.

I did see many chinese flashlights till now, but there are very big differences in build and design quality between the different lights. The outsourcing of the production doesn't neccesary mean that it is bad or good building quality, because the producing companies do also differ and produce from the specifications of the design.

I think Fenix and Jetbeam are very carefull about when selling products with their brand. From what I have seen from Fenix I prefer their products over Maglites.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall, I agree with the wait and see philosophy, especially right now considering all of the dramatic advances afoot.

That said, I voted for JetBeam mainly because I ordered one (for $26 shipped in GB) as I have not ordered a light in a while and have not gotten to play with the a Cree based light yet. So this was sort of a "curiosity buy" considering the price was right and I have a soft spot for single AA and AAA based lights.

I too would prefer a clicky (especially when dealing with multiple stage UI- the MKII was just about perfect IMHO), but I really don't understand how JetBeam can release this light so cheaply :). I don't expect it to be the be-all-end-all EDC, but even if it's half decent, no one can argue against it's value. In some ways, this light is a bit of a blow to Fenix's recent pricing, since they added a $20 premium for the inexpensive Cree LED onto their first production light. I have been happy with all of my JetBeam products in the past (both Jet1 with 2 stage switch and MK-II) so this "hold me over" light seems like a no brainer.

I do look forward to seeing what the new Fenix Cree lights will end up costing and may get suckered again ;). Sure is a crazy time in the flashlight world. Just wait until next year when Nichia and Seoul (plus the next offerings from Cree and Lumileds) really get in the game. We will all go broke :(.

Woodpuppy

Newly Enlightened
Wait 'n see!!

I'm too new at this to jump so early, with all the new lights coming out, and I'm eager to see what Surefire does with the new Cree LEDs. I love SF's quality, service, and USA origin. Want to see souped-up U2 & Kroma, and single cell 2-level executive.

I like both the Fenix & Jet Beam single AA offerings (with the nod to JetBeam's quality) based on reviews and aesthetics. I also love the alternate battery tubes, lets you use what you can find. I do tend to think their current products are overly complicated, I think 2 modes for a pocket light are sufficient: a low setting for use at night and a very bright setting comparable to a SF E2E. Definately with a clickie switch & true current regulation - strobing/flashing is really irritating.

I don't want too much do I? Damn, I've been sucked in.... again.

letezac

Newly Enlightened
The shappire factor:

Im own a JetBeam MKII on 14500 li-ion, the quality, precision and its performance it excelent!!. Shappire cristal in watches are so important and also increse its cost, i think the only think that i woud like to change in my MKII is an upgrade to cree led.

Im going to wait for the next JB.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jumped on the Jetbeam bandwagon via the group buy. How could one not? AA Cree for under $30! Bring it on. :rock:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess mine should go to both. I got the Jetbeam just to check it out and because the price was good. I may keep it as a back up light, or sell it when I get the Fenix.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I will go for a Jetbeam as soon as it is available! I was a day late and a dollar short on the current GBs.

I will go for it because it looks good and has a twistie head!

I don't know PWM from shinola, but have never noticed flicker so far in my life.

ScooterBug

Enlightened
again, i am a sick man. ordered a jet-beam. couldn't pass up the price. what am i to do about this sickness? at least its cheaper than buying guns.:grin2:

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
ScooterBug said:
again, i am a sick man. ordered a jet-beam. couldn't pass up the price. what am i to do about this sickness? at least its cheaper than buying guns.:grin2:

...or cars, :lolsign: ... With everyone suddenly jumping on the cree bandwagon, I'm gonna wait it out for now.