Fenix, Jetbeam or Wait and see

Which single AA Cree XRE light are you leaning towards?

• Fenix L1D CE

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • JetBeam 1AA

Votes: 60 26.4%
  • Both

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Wait for the market to develop a little more

Votes: 80 35.2%

• Total voters

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
l1s125 said:
Does anyone know what the frequency of the PWM is on the Jetbeam?
Don't know, but for reference, the L0P SE runs at 100 Hz (I measured it) and quite a few folks complain about it.

c_c

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
KISS (keep it simple stupid)
I'm staying with MillerMods Arc AAA-XRE.
The feature-ritus battle battle between Fenix, Jetbeam and the other Chinese manufacturers are turning me off.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Oh yeah, well I'm gonna "wait and see", meaning, I'm gonna "wait" for my Jetbeam I just bought to come in the mail, and "see" just how awesome it is :naughty:

eravau

Newly Enlightened
I know I'll probably regret it later, but I'm passing on the JetBeam mostly because of the PWM. Monitor flicker (and other flickering light sources) give me a headache pretty fast. Anything under about 75 or 80 Hz on a monitor refresh just leads to pain between the ears for me.

But at $30...I know I'm going to regret it when the Fenix comes out at $70-ish. I have a nice R123A pocket light in the P1D CE...but a nice bright AA light would be nice (since I already have chargers and batteries for that...and am still trying to gather all that for the R123A cells).

I guess I'm probably just going to "wait and see" for now. I just bought one light...too many at once will set off the wife alarm.

frisco

Enlightened
Our whole flashlight industry is in a wait and see posture!

My plan is just to buy a few lower end lights this year and have a few of my higher end luxeons modded up.

I don't think anyone has really tamed the Cree with the optimum reflector yet, and who knows what Luxeon is going to be coming out with?

It's gonna be an exciting year!

frisco

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have not made up my mind yet. The P1D CE looks most interesting to me and is most likely, but I will hold off for:
1) does it fit existing CR123 and CR2 tubes (I like my L1T CR123 now)
2) price announcement
3) reviews
and Gasp!
4) do I really need it

The Jet may be a gift at some time in the future, and I hope it drives the Fenix price down to where it should be.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I really prefer clickies over twisties, so I'm leaning heavily towards the Fenix, but the JetBeam group buy for $26 bucks was the biggest test of my "hold onto your wallet" reflex in a LONG time.

If the Fenix L1DCE is over $50, I don't think they'll sell anywhere as many as JetBeam will.

Of course, in a few months they'll probably be even. JetBeam will come out with a more expensive clicky, and Fenix will come out with a cheap twisty.

JetBeam MarkIII Cree - :drool:

:popcorn:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted wait and see
I like to use my 1.7 watt MillerMods L1P with U bin as a bicycle helmet light (look Ma! No external battery packs!) 4sevens mentioned two L1D CE lights and said one of them is max brightness when you turn it on with the next click being strobe. I think he called it the "turbo" and that option would be perfect for bicycle helmet or small, bright and inexpensive bar mount lights.
If the Fenix L1D CE truely has a turbo version, I will jump all over that one. True current regulation and no PWM makes Bent a happy boy! If not, someone will make a KISS high powered single AA cell Cree light soon. For now :popcorn:

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and ordered the Jetbeam because the MK-II AA clicky is so good. Certainly wish the AA cree had a clicky but at its price I'll give it a try. Hopefully the twisty can be easily operated with one hand. Does anybody know?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm looking forward to the Fenix L1DCE, but I am taking part in one of the Jetbeam group buys anyway (following in the best of CPF tradition - get 'em both!).

Personally, I'm not too keen on PWM. It doesn't generally bother me too much (my EDC is the L0PSE), but it can be distracting on dim lights when reading, or on brighter lights if you are looking at something moving rapidly (i.e. an animal outdoors). But <$30, I can't resist while I wait to see what Fenix comes out with. I'm also a sucker for twisties - make's great emergency lights to stuff in a jacket, glove box, etc.

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
It's a very hard choice, but I already went for the jetbeam, I think I will get both eventually.

I prefer my Civictor over my L1P because of the smaller size and the twisty. I prefer the twisty because it won't get on in my pocket. So perhaps I will like the jetbeam better because it is also a twisty.

If the head of the L1D fits on my L2T body with better output and if my theory about the twisty head for switching between normal and turbo mode is thrue I will get the L1D for sure.

letezac

Newly Enlightened
Just imagine: JetBeam C-LE, 80 lums and <30$, what Im going to have for 57$..?, a MKIII and much more !!! so im goning to wait for the next jetbeam :)

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I didn't wait. I went for the MM L1P XRE and I absolutely love it.
sold.gif

I'll order a couple L0D CE's for keychain lights if the price is right.