Fenix LD01 stainless steel

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I carry mine in my pocket loose with my keys and pocket change all rattling around in my pocket togther, and, so far, mine doesn't even look worn at all. In fact, it doesn't even show the first major scratch, just minor superficial marks that I believe will polish out should I chose to polish it. Kind of like the way it looks natural, tho. :grin2:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry mine in my pocket loose with my keys and pocket change all rattling around in my pocket togther, and, so far, mine doesn't even look worn at all. In fact, it doesn't even show the first major scratch, just minor superficial marks that I believe will polish out should I chose to polish it. Kind of like the way it looks natural, tho. :grin2:

Thats good to know mon90ey thanks for the info thats exactly what I need to know.I'm thinking I'm gonna order one today and use instead of my E01. I prefer the natural finish like I have on my E01 but havn't been able to find a LD01 natural. I guess Fenix does not produce one.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had an SS LD01 fail on me, and spending some time diagnosing the failure, I'd recommend sticking with an Al LD01. Not to say that all of the SS models will fail, but I think the potential for failure is considerably higher.

Plus, having carried various L0Ds for years, I found the extra weight of the SS model to be more noticeable than I expected.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first one had the changing mode problem and I exchanged it within a couple of days. I have been carrying the replacement ever since on my Key ring and have had no problems at all. I don't know what problem gswitter had but I would have no problem recommending the SS version. Mine still looks new.

Bill

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had an SS LD01 fail on me, and spending some time diagnosing the failure, I'd recommend sticking with an Al LD01. Not to say that all of the SS models will fail, but I think the potential for failure is considerably higher.

Plus, having carried various L0Ds for years, I found the extra weight of the SS model to be more noticeable than I expected.

How much is the extra weight all I have seen on the SS model is the same weight of the regular model at 14.8 grams?

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
I carry my LD01 in my pocket with keys, change, pocket knife, etc. it show no scratches at all. I bought an LD01 in the aluminum recently, I really love the weight and feel of the Stainless Steel one.

Great light, I would recommend one to anyone looking for a good quality small light for pocket carry.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So to clarify does the SS weigh more than the standard model? Some of your post here would lead me believe yes it does weigh more, but officially I can't find any weight difference listed anywhere.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 HAIII
14.8-gram (or 0.5 oz) weight (excluding batteries)

LD01 Stainless Steel
35-gram (or 1.23 oz) weight (excluding batteries)

Hiker

Newly Enlightened

My aluminum LOD1 did not work correctly and had to be exchanged as well. The new one has been working fine for the 2+ months I have had it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 HAIII
14.8-gram (or 0.5 oz) weight (excluding batteries)

LD01 Stainless Steel
35-gram (or 1.23 oz) weight (excluding batteries)

Thanks for all your input fellow CPF's considering the SS is almost triple the weight that kinda does it for me, I'll order a standard HAIII.

Last edited:

Tajji

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your input fellow CPF's considering the SS is almost triple the weight that kinda does it for me, I'll order a standard HAIII.

I have a SS in my keychain. The overall keychain weight increase is insignificant (less than an oz.) and the wear-and-tear is almost zero over time. If the you don't mind the wear-and-tear, get the Al. How about Ti?

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Bought one for my daughter, and after 3 mos. of living on her key chain, it still looks great. Had it engraved with her name, which looks sweet on the SS.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is why I didn't get it either.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
"Hard anodizing" scratches up very easily. Anything hard anodized carried with keys will look positively revolting after a few months. My SSLD01 looks great after having carried it with my keys. It is worth the weight in my opinion.

fishnerdown

Newly Enlightened
Both are great lights. I EDC the aluminum one a neck lanyard, my SS version resides within the collection. I do not recommend using a 10440 for regular use but always have a few charged and ready to impress on lookers and man does it impress ! (almost 2400 Lux), a real scorcher for it's size !!!:devil:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened

Word.

I love mine ... but i'm considering ordering another one but in regular Al because i'm thinking of keeping it on my work keychain.

Depending on your perspective, the extra heft is either good or bad or both.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Stainless Steel and the HA III. I like them both. Tonight I loaned my sister the HA III one to use to get to her car when she left my house. I wasn't willing to share my SS one :)

So while I have both I prefer the SS one in my pocket most of the time. Of course I do have my Aeon in the coin pocket too.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I just got my SS LD01 a few days ago and had trouble with it right
out of the box.
I could not get it to come on.
I took it apart, cleaned it with some alcohol and Q-tip, blew it out
with compressed air, put some ProGold on the points of contact, and
applied some silicone oil (oil, not grease, and it's PURE silicone) and
it worked fine.
This stainless version has contact problems, and needs to be cleaned.
The oil seams to work better on the threads because the grease is too
thick.
What I REALLY do not like, is the UI!!
You have to turn it right, then left, then right again to change the
output. I think it's a pain.
I do not like a twisty anyway, and try to avoid them. But if you want a
really small EDC, your stuck with a twisty.
The only really small EDC that I know of with a good clicky, is the
Incendio. The NiteCore D10 is a nice clicky EDC too, but it's too big (long)
to conveniently wear for me.

I need a good EDC clicky that uses a single AA, AAA or CR123 and has
a range of outputs, like may 10, 40 and 80 lumens and is 70mm or less
long.

Does anyone know of such a light?

Latest posts