Fenix P1: Flashlight Fatigue?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
It costs half as much? It lasts twice as long?

The max rated input voltage of the P1 is 4.0V. Hot of a charger a li-ion can be up to 4.2V, but this drops quickly. I would say that the P1 is not overdriven, but you still need to monitor temperature.
Not to mention the Orb Raw has no O-rings, no coating at all (not even type II), it isn't regulated and the runtime is a joke. The P1 wins hands down!

frisco

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong.... I still like my Q3 for it's broad beam.... but with these new lights coming out..... it seems kinda old school right now !!!!

frisco

AbnerCadaver

Banned
I own both the L1P and L2P both of which are exceptional lights. I just cannot get excited over CR123A based lights as I am not rich enough to feed them.

Abbie.

frisco

Enlightened
AbnerCadaver said:
I own both the L1P and L2P both of which are exceptional lights. I just cannot get excited over CR123A based lights as I am not rich enough to feed them.

Abbie.

For $10-$12 you can get a rCR123 rechargable battrey and a Nano single cell charger..... cheaper than buying Alkalines in the long run! (Brighter too!!!)

frisco

paxxus

Enlightened
Thanks for the wellcomes. Just got the batteries, woohoo :grin2:. Very bright indeed I must say. It's a little hard to twist though, but I guess the foam i the bottom loosens up eventually. The tint is bluish.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love flashlights. My wife thinks I'm silly.

Last edited:

Cmoore

Enlightened
I like this light a lot. It's one of the few lights that will work well providing good output with any type of 123 battery. With a primary battery, run-time is good and regulation excellent.

This light is simple, reliable with good output and inexpensive -- it's my kind of light!

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
My black P1 came in today. Tried it with a Surefire CR123 and it worked, no problem. I didn't have to trim the washer off the bottom of the battery or modify the washer in the base of the light, but I did have to tighten the switch right down to turn it on. Threads seem fine to me, as does the lubrication. Very nice light, love the form factor. It will replace my SF E1e as my EDC.
Now I only have to wait till sundown to really check it out.

Thanks 4sevens, much appreciated!

capriman86

Newly Enlightened
frisco said:
For $10-$12 you can get a rCR123 rechargable battrey and a Nano single cell charger..... cheaper than buying Alkalines in the long run! (Brighter too!!!)

frisco

My P1 will be here monday :)
I have not own a 123 cell yet...does it come with a battery?

Where is the best place to buy this charger/battery ?

Thanks in advance

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've not had the time to perform a runtime test on RCR123 cells yet, but this light really performs with a lithium CR123 cell. I have a review posted in the Reviews section.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
frisco said:

frisco

Who uses alkalines in their flashlights? NiMh is a reliable power source, cheap, and easily available at any retail store.

Penguin

Enlightened
Just got my Black P1, and a replacement switch for my L1p (thanks 4sevens!!) It's not dark yet, but from playing around with it indoors I like it a lot. It reminds me of my old Arc LSH-P with twistie. The tint leans towards a blueish shade but it's objectable by any means. The threads on mine were quite smooth with the stock lube but following the advice on the forums I cleaned the threads and o-rings and nyogel'd them anyway. For the price the light is a winner, bright, great runtime and a small package.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Penguin said:
Just got my Black P1, and a replacement switch for my L1p (thanks 4sevens!!) It's not dark yet, but from playing around with it indoors I like it a lot. It reminds me of my old Arc LSH-P with twistie. The tint leans towards a blueish shade but it's objectable by any means. The threads on mine were quite smooth with the stock lube but following the advice on the forums I cleaned the threads and o-rings and nyogel'd them anyway. For the price the light is a winner, bright, great runtime and a small package.

:) Glad you like it! I dremeled out the back to fit a neodynium disc magnet.
Now it sticks to any metalic surface! I even tried it on the hood of my car
and drove 40mph without it falling off! :lolsign:

heathah

Newly Enlightened
4sevens said:
:) Glad you like it! I dremeled out the back to fit a neodynium disc magnet.
Now it sticks to any metalic surface! I even tried it on the hood of my car
and drove 40mph without it falling off! :lolsign:

Get two, stick them above each headlight of your car, turn your car headlights off, and use the P1s as headlights. :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I'm one of those that isn't excited about the P1. I don't really like purchasing for a thrill. I actually like paying a little more for a light (U60 XRGT) so that it isn't eclipsed by something else every other month. :)

nightrider

Enlightened
My P1 has a little more purple/pink tint than I would've liked, but I still think it is a great little light. It just feels good in my hand and I hardly notice it in my pocket. Fenix did a good tradeoff on runtime/output with excellent regulation. The threads took a little cleaning before feeling smooth, and after a little lubrication, it turns on/off easily. The only thing (besides my bad luck in the Luxeon Lottery) that I would wish for would be that it was a two-stage light. I tend to use the low-level on my modded Fenix L1P more than anything (reading at night).

I'll probably pick up another P1 from the fenix-store.com for my dad as a Father's day gift (and maybe a L1T for myself) :)

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackDecker said:
Who uses alkalines in their flashlights? NiMh is a reliable power source, cheap, and easily available at any retail store.
I have alkalines in lights I do not use often including my EDCs. NiMH will self discharge in a month or so and I do not want to be cuaght away from home with a dead battery. This may change when low self discharge NiMH such as Sanyo Eneloop or clones become more common.I do use NiMH around the house, where I have plenty of other lights lying around.

I alsouse alkalines in my direct drive MJLED lights. The LED need 3 volts.

Campers will prefer carrying extra disposal batteries instead of a solar panel and charger.

Cabo

Banned
leukos said:
I'm one of those that isn't excited about the P1. I don't really like purchasing for a thrill. I actually like paying a little more for a light (U60 XRGT) so that it isn't eclipsed by something else every other month. :)

[font=&quot][/font]Same here. First, the light is too blue. Second, the battery compatibility problem should have been fixed at the factory. Third, for it's build quality, the P1 shouldn't carry a price tag of more than $30 tops. Unfortunately, I received my Fire~Fly III this week so now my P1 sits in a dresser drawer. I won't compare the FF3 with the P1 because there is no comparison. The QIII was mentioned earlier and indeed this is still one of my favorite lights. I've really grown accustomed of its form factor…not too big not too small. Drop in a T or U bin and a $5 reflector and you'll have a formidable light for sure.