Fenix P1: Flashlight Fatigue?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these sub-tints being reported in the new crop of Fenix lights has me concerned. My L2P and L1 (with R bin emmitter from lighthound) are just about perfect- a tiny bit warm, very "white" pleasing. Why are we hearing so many reports about blue P1s and purple L1T/L2Ts? I always thought the luxeon III had BETTER color consistancy. Is it Fenix or Lumileds that are doing things differently?

fluorescent

Enlightened
I was waiting to get one. I had a concern with the only dealer selling them cherry picking out the good ones and charging a premium for the leftovers. I finally found a dealer that had a discount coupon and decided to take the plunge. Should be here next week and I have a U bin on standby incase the tint is poor.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
fluorescent said:
I was waiting to get one. I had a concern with the only dealer selling them cherry picking out the good ones and charging a premium for the leftovers. I finally found a dealer that had a discount coupon and decided to take the plunge. Should be here next week and I have a U bin on standby incase the tint is poor.

I'm not say that you are refering to me. But I'd like to take this opportunity
to say that I DON'T cherry pick. I get dozens of requests to pick out
a tint - all of which I refuse. And simply put I don't have the time to do that
anyways :D

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think it sounds like a neat light and all. But I think for me to buy one, Fenix will have to do something about the tint and get a two stage twisty like with their LT models.

frisco

Enlightened
fluorescent said:

Who is the Cherry Picker?

Who has discount coupons?

frisco

Cabo

Banned
4sevens said:
I'm not say that you are refering to me. But I'd like to take this opportunity
to say that I DON'T cherry pick. I get dozens of requests to pick out
a tint - all of which I refuse. And simply put I don't have the time to do that
anyways :D

In an L2P thread, you posted the following:

"Of course if there is a serious deviation in either tint or brightness, we
would exchange it with another. However, my wife personally checks
each one with a battery just before shipping :D"

Are the P1's being "checked" ?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99950&page=1

pilot77

Newly Enlightened
My P1 that just arrived ( thanks 4sevens) is the whightest light that I own. I thought that my L1P was white but the P1 makes it look sick. :rock:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
fluorescent said:
4sevens is a great dealer don't think twice about dealing with him! I've bought several in the past from him.

Thanks for the plug :)

Cabo said:
In an L2P thread, you posted the following:

"Of course if there is a serious deviation in either tint or brightness, we
would exchange it with another. However, my wife personally checks
each one with a battery just before shipping :D"

Are the P1's being "checked" ?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99950&page=1

Cabo, that was months ago in march before we've hit massive volume AND
it was for the L2P specifically. There is no way we could do that now.
It would increase our workload by at least 2x. Besides, after checking
so many L2P's we've found almost zero with freaky tints. :D

Radagast

Enlightened
Got mine from 4sevens yesterday from the memorial day special. (Thanks!)

I had been mostly carrying the lioncub but it's a bit too big for pocket carry if I'm not using it regularly. Anyway I got the P1 and it's my favorite edc light now. I rarely ever use the low levels on my other light and it's as bright as the cub on the second of five brightest settings. That's the level I use 99% of the time anyway. I love the smallness of it. It's skinnier than the arc ls. It's as thick as my wallet and rides VERY well with it in pocket. The tint is ever so slightly pink but didn't notice until side by side with the cub. Looks white to me otherwise. I didn't think I'd be too impressed but I am. It's also a light I wouldn't feel as devastated losing like a Mr. Bulk, Arc ls, etc.

nightrider

Enlightened
Since I got my slightly purple tinted P1 from 4sevens, I don't think he could be accused of cherry picking (he could be accused of excellent service). But just to clarify, the tint is not so horrible as to turn it on and say "yikes, that's a purple light," but it does have a noticeable tint, especially when compared to several other lights I own: Fenix L1P, JetBeam Jet-1, Dorcy Super 1 Watt, and Task Force 3xAAA 1 watt. Two of those are $20 lights and have a much whiter tint than my P1, so that's a little dissapointing.

I've ordered another P1 for my dad, along with an L1T. We'll see how they compare.

Last edited:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I have trouble understanding why anyone would not be highly impressed with this light? It is small and feels nice in the hand. It is a perfect size for pocket carry. It is handsome and well finished. The overall output is comparable to a SL PP 4AA Luxeon which as recently as six months ago was the hot light that everyone was talking about. And it works great with rechargeable cells. Flashlight Fatigue may be exactly what some people have.
jc

fluorescent

Enlightened
okay mine came in. Threads are a bit rough. The thin lube it came with doesn't help matters. I cleaned that off and put on some synthetic grease - a bit better. I am concerned that the constant on and off moving of these rough threads will prematurely wear them out. The Surefire battery I put in didn't work at first so I had to cut the bottom plastic off the battery. Tint sucked. My 1W L1P blows my P1 away in tint, hot spot, and overall brightness. I'm going to jam a U bin in it and hopefully that will bring it up to par.

capriman86

Newly Enlightened
Got my Black P1 the other day...very very pleased.
Very bright for a little light.

Threads seem just fine here. I can't wait for the rechargables I bought to come in now!

I think its very impressive for a $50 light and very compact. Two thumbs up from me.

Ohh...as for battery issues...I had a note that came with mine.

Please Note that the Fenix P1 comes with a foam pad on the bottom of the battery case. These are to allow the fitting of many Asian market CR123 battery brands which are spec'ed slightly shorter than common USA brands. If you find the fit too snug with your P1 with the battery you typically use, simply take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the foam pad.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, if this were a two level, it would be very tempting. I was thinking of a small light and this came to mind also. With the HDS B42 at discount, it's very tempting even if it is larger.

While I lust after other lights, unless there is some feature I lack in my current crop, buying just to buy is :shakehead for me.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I purchased the P1 for a couple reasons. First, it was a nice and small, no nonsense light. It's simple twist on/twist off. It's price is low enough that if I lose it, I won't be terribly pissed-off. Although not in craftmanship, it's the 1st light that I've had in sometime that reminded me of the Arc LSHP lights of the past. It's much brighter with excellent runtime. Sometimes, I don't want to be bothered with a bunch of features in a light. I want something to throw into my pocket that's going to be simple to operate. I think I have that in the P1.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine was very simple to operate for the first week until turning it on became intermittent at best and now won't operate at all, I'm sending mine back for a replacment. I do think this is a wonderful light though, just hope quality control is not an issue.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
keithhr said:
mine was very simple to operate for the first week until turning it on became intermittent at best and now won't operate at all, I'm sending mine back for a replacment. I do think this is a wonderful light though, just hope quality control is not an issue.

This is my biggest fear about this light. QC and long term longevity is a big concern.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got 2 of P1 and love it so much that I ordered 2 more.

As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), P1 is the only regulated single CR123 light at this size. All other single CR123 lights in similiar size might have multiple brightness and high price tag, none of them are truly regulated and would look bad on runtime chart.

I agree that the machine work on P1 could be better.

Alan

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
on RCR 123 the P1 is the best bang for the buck!:rock:
IMHO it should approach the FF3 in brightness