Fenix TK10 "On Duty"

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Excellent, input from real life situations as LEOs' night shifts are always the best way to know if a product like this is reliable :thumbsup:
Small OT:is it true that Hatch don't makes gloves anymore?

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
Wow, always fun to see how people will react to what you thought may be helpful. Thanks for helping me remember why I do what I do. :) To those who thanked me for my service, I love my job. There's nothing like the feeling of helping another person.

Let me see if I can answer some questions without quoting them.

Yes, I can activate the switch just fine with the gloves on. I refuse to put anything on my uniform that I cannot use with my gloves. Of course, I think about this when picking my gloves. On busy nights, I often times keep my gloves on constantly, and so just about everything has to be done with the gloves. I train with gloves on, this includes day and night shooting. Night shooting exercises of course include a flashlight. Goes back to the old rule, training will kick in, so train the way you go in real life.

Placing the light bezel down while off? Yes, actually we do this quite often. Sometimes I'm searching a car, and will place my light bezel down on the roof of the car, or center console, or what have you, and it's nice to know its on or off. That's just one simple use I can think of.

No I don't typically wear sunglasses at night, and while I wore those for the pictures mostly because it always makes me laugh when I see the "tactical" shots you see in gun rags where these "operators" are wearing shades, there is reason behind this. At the beginning of my shift, I do in fact wear sunglasses. Sometimes, you get to a call that turns into a hot call, or you chase someone on foot, or what have you, when you don't have time to remove the sunglasses. You go from sunny outside to real dark bedroom in an apartment, and what happens? You are stuck wearing your sunglasses, holding out your gun, and holding a flashlight. So there you go. That's how you end up wearing sunglasses and needing a flashlight. Just one of the many things I learned long after being out of police academy. Some things they can't teach you in a classroom.

No I was not on duty writing the review and taking the pictures. And yes, there was one in the pipe. There was nobody on the other side of that camera. It's called a self timer. Reason I didn't unload the gun is very simple. I took it out of the holster to take the picture, and immediately put it back in. Even though I was at home in my own private property, there is always a concern when being in uniform. I know I'm responsible enough to keep it chambered without shooting it. Just because it's chambered doesn't mean I can't handle the firearm. I know it's loaded. It's always loaded. I pull it out of the holster multiple times each time I'm on duty, and don't fire it. It's just simple discipline and training. And those are Gold Dots, but I do love Winchester Rangers.

I'll try to take some video tonight when I go on duty with the light.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for some reason, im picturing scene from COPS...you know, the one where theres a cameraman in the passenger seat following him around..

:shrug:

Crenshaw

Kraid

Enlightened
OpticalSentry, you are the man. And NOBODY better question the concept of wearing Sunglasses at night. This is a proven technique tested by the Blues Brothers, Duke Nukem, and Kraid.

mchlwise

Enlightened
To those who thanked me for my service, I love my job. There's nothing like the feeling of helping another person.

I'd like to hereby add myself to that list: Thanks for your service! It's a difficult and sometimes thankless job.

Thanks also for the great review. :grin2:

Stay safe.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
bad boyz, bad boyz whatch ya gona do?

whatch ya gona do when they come for you with their sun glasses at night?

gilly

Enlightened
Nice review, brother. I've been waiting for Fenix to come out with the successor to the T-1 and am excited about this light. In fact I recommended it to two fellow Troopers today at SWAT training. Great value and performance for the price.

Stay safe out there.

By the way...we use Gold Dots as well - bonded is better.:thumbsup:

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for responding to my questions. I'll elaborate on my original set of questions later in this thread, but I wish to continue this post by asking some more questions about holster carry.

There seems to be a dearth of available leather holsters for the TK10. Belt carry options seem to be limited to those that can accommodate a variety of makes and models. Unfortunately, such versatility makes for a sloppy fit. The best choices still seem to be those moulded specifically for the individual model.

With the modified holster that you are using in the photos, do you find the bezel-up position to be convenient for your use or would you prefer bezel down with more of the body of the flashlight exposed for a quicker presentation ?

There seemed to be a small tide of shift a few years ago toward synthetic (namely nylon) for law enforcement duty gear namely for the cost savings vice that of leather. For uniformity, departments switched from leather en masse, however, the functionality of certain components on the belt did not transfer adequately. What duty gear manufacturer's opted to do was craft general fit products to accommodate a variety of similar items.

I remember the Bianchi Accumold series a few years ago, but cannot determine if any of them were dedicated to flashlights.
Are you aware of any custom nylon products that would work for this style and size flashlight without having to modify it as you did in your photos?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Darn nice review. It's nice to see someone with a very practical point of view, talking about the tools of the trade.

I bought the Fenix T1, and have a TK10 on order. I have to agree, I really hate velcro anything on my belt. But I don't mind a flap with a good snap. I haven't been able to find a good holster for my T1, and I fear the same will be true of the TK10. Do you have any problems losing the TK10 out of your modified holster during "vigorous physical activity?" I may have to try your modifications.

Are you using rechargables with the TK10? If so, what kind? I work days, and don't use my flashlight very often on duty, so the cost of the CR123's doesn't bother me too much. But if I worked afternoons or nights, I'd go broke in a week!

You show a couple of different flashight shooting techniques. Which one works best for you with the TK10?

Just a few comments: I wear prescription sunglasses, and some times I do find myself in a darkened room with my sunglasses on, flashlight in hand. Hey, it happens.

While your "bad-guy-point-of-view" photos look pretty cool, I'd rather see a side view, and an officer's POV photo. That would give me a better idea of how I would use the light.

Thanks again for the insightful review, and stay safe!

-- Frank

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, always fun to see how people will react to what you thought may be helpful. Thanks for helping me remember why I do what I do. :) To those who thanked me for my service, I love my job. There's nothing like the feeling of helping another person.

You go from sunny outside to real dark bedroom in an apartment, and what happens? You are stuck wearing your sunglasses, holding out your gun, and holding a flashlight. So there you go. That's how you end up wearing sunglasses and needing a flashlight.

There was nobody on the other side of that camera. It's called a self timer.

Very smart officer :thumbsup:

I'll try to take some video tonight when I go on duty with the light.

You one cool dude :cool:

LedSanders

Newly Enlightened
That glock is totally loaded. At least your finger is off the trigger!

Winchester rangers?

2354279800_7d1fed16e3.jpg
Looks like a Springfield XD not a Glock but that is an easy mistake

And the sun glasses keep him from getting stunned the whole point of a bright light is to stun the perp not the cop!:eek:

Excelent review wish I had known about the TK10 I would have waited a day to get it instead of getting the T1 but the T1 still does the job.

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Enlightened
And the sun glasses keep him from getting stunned the whole point of a bright light is to stun the perp not the cop!
One more reason to wear glasses while you shoot is to avoid getting gun powder in the eyes, at least I do this when I go to the range and so do the others :rolleyes: