Fenix TK15

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
found this from shoudian.com http://www.shoudian.com/thread-159288-1-1.html
(i think you need to register to view the image... :ohgeez:)

did some digging and got this... different image from above link
TK15_00.jpg

anyone got any more information?
that white(?)/silver(?) coloured button in the pic... looks like a mode switching thingy... :confused:

gonna continue digging...

EDIT: ok... just got more information... will post up later... and... that side button is a mode switch button... :huh:

Last edited:

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
woah dude that looks weird, don't know if i like the look or not but that orange ring on the lense looks wicked.

Because Fenix has started using ANSI spec. does that mean that thats a real 337 Out The Front lumens!!!!!!?????!!!???

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
ok... here are a few more pics...
TK15_07.jpg

TK15_12.jpg

TK15_17.jpg

@jtblue, I dunno if it's really 337 lumens otf... guess we will have to wait for some real sphere testing from cpf. lovecpf

that side button do reminds me of iTP flashlights tho...

more pics available here

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
The new Fenix flashlights does really sound awesome! But i got a little bit disappointed by the LD25 and LD40, rattling, big donut hole etc.
I really hope this will be perfect, if so; i have to buy one for my uncle.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
From rookiedaddy's more pics 2*CR123A or 18650.

Fenix's better lights had measured above 80% (OTF) of their claims.
So MAX 337 lumens probably means 270 to 337 OTF lumens.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Fenix making their measurments with real integrating sphere.

This shows the real numbers like surefire, (ANSI/FSC)
TK15_17.jpg

And you can see the sphere measurement process at the bottom of the page of linked site.

http://fonarik.com/?p=1511

tandem

Enlightened
If the output on max is the typical flat regulated trace we see from Fenix lights, any output greater than the TK12 is likely going to make this the regulated output-runtime leader of its class. (The TK11/12 was already there I believe, at least at times > 30 minutes runtime)

But what I really like about this release over the TK11 or TK12 XP-G R5 lights is the availability of a > 100 lumen output level below max output. The older brothers in this line dropped to ~ 60 lumen output if I remember correctly.

~ 140 lumens for ~6 hours on "high" is a goodly amount of light for many purposes and the extended runtime off a single 18650 cell is very appealing to me.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single lumen number is not very useful in how your light performs in real life. That is because fresh batteries can put out a lot more energy in the 1st minute than in the rest of its run.

-

I do not have numbers for a Fenix but Ti-force did a review on a Quark MiNi AA2.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/292571
4sevens claim 180 lumens.
Ti-force measured 187.9 lumens at 1 sec. Very good.
Then I looked at the runtime graph.
Between 1 minute and 220 minute the output is between 140 and 130 lumens.
This behavior is typical. Practically all runtime graphs I have seen show this behavior.
I will stick to my 270-337 OTF lumen estimate unless someone does a runtime graph that shows 337 lumens for the full 1st hour of the run.

-

The ANSI spec only require the lumen reading at 30 seconds after turn on. But for most regulated flashlights during normal running the lumen number can be at that level or drop to ~80% of that level. Still that is an actual measurement not a '900 lumen' claim from DX/eBay.

The ANSI distance spec is based on 0.25 lux, not the 1 lux commonly used within CPF. So I expect Selfbuilt's review to show a throw of 107.5M (11,556 lux at 1M). I got the 107.5M by dividing Fenix ANSI distance of 315M by 2.
For comparison from
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/274781
Eagletac T20C2II R5 SMO - 95M (9,000 lux at 1M).
Fenix TK12 R5 - 92M (8,550 lux at 1M).

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single lumen number is not very useful in how your light performs in real life. That is because fresh batteries can put out a lot more energy in the 1st minute than in the rest of its run.

The rather large drop off most (if not all) lights have is due more to heat than battery. I wish manufacturers would start quoting OTF lumens at the 2 or 3 minute mark. Anybody can design a light to have a lot of lumens at turn on.

Anyway, looks like it could be a very nice light assumeing it does not have the famous donut hole beam or horrible tint that most Fenix lights have (hopefully this one is neutral like the new LD25 and LD40 or better yet the TK20).

Last edited:

eprom

Newly Enlightened
I can not understand how can we judge this light before we get it in hand. Selfbuild, flashlightreviews.com, light-reviews.com made lots of Fenix reviews and almost all of them have flat regulation. This time fenix pushing the LED harder so with 18650's can fenix make a well regulated light. we will see.

tandem

Enlightened
Perhaps there will be minor drop off from the initial activation of the light, but that would still represent something > 300 lumen output based on the 335 claimed, possibly or probably following along a very typical regulated flat line for Fenix for ~ 2 hours. Based on the steady improvement we've seen elsewhere that doesn't seem so far fetched to me here in fall of 2010. Besides, the TK12 actually over-delivers in the runtime department, already, producing near max output for more than 2 hours when claimed is only 1.5. The TK11 runs near max output even longer.

Given Fenix's propensity to deliver flat regulated run times, I'm more inclined to believe that this release will represent another leapfrog in output and runtime, rather like the SC51 from Zebralight (when it ships) has leapfrogged over the LD10 R4 for the amount of output and runtime that can be achieved from less energy dense cells like NiMH and alkalines.

In the case of the SC51 on its "high 2" output level (not max) almost matches what the LD10 R4 puts out on its max (turbo) output level, but does so along a very flat output trace for significantly longer (40 minutes or 69% longer). That is pretty amazing, but surely isn't an achievement limited only to Zebralight.

Based on those developments it seems to me that light designers have been increasingly successful as they tweak their designs for the XP-G emitter.

Can we have a pool on what selfbuilt's output trace chart will reveal for the TK15? I'm betting a shiny nickel that this new light will represent the latest leapfrog and that it will exhibit a long flat output runtime trace, running materially higher than the current TK11 or TK12 for materially longer. I can't see them taking a step backwards from the TK11/TK12's output-runtime performance characteristics.

(edit: will be watching from the cheap seats for a while though, looking for some early reviews and feedback on the side mounted output switch)

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
If only this looked a tad nicer :ohgeez:

The TK10/TK11/TK12 were the TK/TA series best looking lights. After that came the slow slide downhill with the TA30 (till this day, I don't understand why the need for 3 CR123s), TA21 and TA20.

TK40 and TK30 were ok in the looks department.

TK12 was a step down from the TK10/TK11s.
The new TK15 is another step down.

Golly, Fenix! I love your lights but they're getting awful looking!

bullterrier

Enlightened
The new Fenix flashlights does really sound awesome! But i got a little bit disappointed by the LD25 and LD40, rattling, big donut hole etc.
I really hope this will be perfect, if so; i have to buy one for my uncle.

got no donut holes in my LD25.
But i don't do white wall hunting.
I use it every day when i walk my dog in the woods.
But the low on camping mode is acting up some times when i use AA 1.7v Lithiums. But whit my Sanyo HR-3U 2700mAh there no problems.

when i use it in A mode 3 lumen mode and when i shuts it off.
And next time i uses the flashlight it is in A mode but 30-50 lumen and the i must go through Rescue signal mode - Outdoor mode to Camping mode then low 3 lumen mode works again.

Matt7337

Enlightened
If only this looked a tad nicer :ohgeez:

The TK10/TK11/TK12 were the TK/TA series best looking lights. After that came the slow slide downhill with the TA30 (till this day, I don't understand why the need for 3 CR123s), TA21 and TA20.

TK40 and TK30 were ok in the looks department.

TK12 was a step down from the TK10/TK11s.
The new TK15 is another step down.

Golly, Fenix! I love your lights but they're getting awful looking!

It's not that bad looking... it may not be the nicest looking light in their line, but it's not a far cry from being a TK11 clone on the outside. Same Cigar ring, same tail shape, same general head shape... the only thing that looks really different here from my observations is the body.

I'm quite interested in this one. Someone started a thread a few days ago questioning whether or not infinitely variable lights would be the norm in 2011 - it's looking like Fenix is maybe picking up on this from Nitecore, although this is only one light in their whole line up so far.

My TK11 has served me well through 2 years of heavy use, even though it has the big donut beam that is so common with Fenix lights. I hope they've paid much more attention to beam pattern and LED placement on this new model. For those of you who don't care about beam smoothness (or don't go "white wall hunting") please also consider that a poorly machined or finished reflector affects more than just the shape and smoothness of the beam, it affects throw and spill as well, which most people consider to be important.

[edit]

And judging from the other comments here, I can safely assume people would like to see Fenix try their hand at a light OP reflector rather than a totally SMO one ;)

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
got no donut holes in my LD25.
But i don't do white wall hunting.
I use it every day when i walk my dog in the woods.
But the low on camping mode is acting up some times when i use AA 1.7v Lithiums. But whit my Sanyo HR-3U 2700mAh there no problems.

when i use it in A mode 3 lumen mode and when i shuts it off.
And next time i uses the flashlight it is in A mode but 30-50 lumen and the i must go through Rescue signal mode - Outdoor mode to Camping mode then low 3 lumen mode works again.

I do not practiate white wall hunting either, but a donut hole may hurt the throw. My 47 Turbo has a great donut hole which really hurt the throw, and it is supposed to be a thrower.
I saw a review of the LD40 and the guy who wrote the review said that his battery carrier had a bit rattling.. I don't like rattling! :) Smooth reflector+XP-G R5= Donuts.
Easy peasy cooking formula

chanjyj

Enlightened
It's not that bad looking... it may not be the nicest looking light in their line, but it's not a far cry from being a TK11 clone on the outside. Same Cigar ring, same tail shape, same general head shape... the only thing that looks really different here from my observations is the body.

I'm quite interested in this one. Someone started a thread a few days ago questioning whether or not infinitely variable lights would be the norm in 2011 - it's looking like Fenix is maybe picking up on this from Nitecore, although this is only one light in their whole line up so far.

My TK11 has served me well through 2 years of heavy use, even though it has the big donut beam that is so common with Fenix lights. I hope they've paid much more attention to beam pattern and LED placement on this new model. For those of you who don't care about beam smoothness (or don't go "white wall hunting") please also consider that a poorly machined or finished reflector affects more than just the shape and smoothness of the beam, it affects throw and spill as well, which most people consider to be important.

[edit]

And judging from the other comments here, I can safely assume people would like to see Fenix try their hand at a light OP reflector rather than a totally SMO one ;)

The head looks thinner here. Hmm.. heritage going away.. mixed blood :D

Matt7337

Enlightened
Ahh, you're right - the head does look a little thinner. And how about thae head on that TK11?! That thing can really take a beating! I should know, I've done it :D

Hopefully they haven't sacrificed too much thickness on the head material. It's more than likely they have just done that to save some weight. The head of the TK11 is almost the same weight as the rest of the body and tail without a cell :)

Latest posts