Fenix TK35

tinctorus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix TK35..any good.

Regular ATA HDD, you have to dismount them totally. They are not the one used to hold the DD (M3 and not Stainless Steel) or hold the PCB (non SS).
The SS screws are inside the mechanism and to secure the steel cover. They are non magnetic SS. Laptop drive are OK too but many screws are smaller, M1 and M1.6.

Note that you may have to shorten them. RC shops have them in SS too, used in boat models. But regular heads, not Torx. I like Torx head.

Screws used for regular assembly are not SS.
That's actually a really good idea, I like torx screws better than any phillips or flathead screws any day of the week for the same reason you said "they look nicer"
This light will be getting ordered in the next few days as I have totally fallen in love with it since I first saw it a few weeks ago

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Just pulled the trigger on a Fenix TK35

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the Fenix TK35 in my hot little hands. Well, really warm large hands but those are semantics. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I made the right call. I know that there is a bunch of light coming out of this thing (800lm ANSI I believe) but still I am a bit unsteady.

I am a throw light kind of guy. While I have come to terms with my Flashoholism, I also know I struggle every night as a Throwjunkie. The farther away the object is that I can illuminate the better. Now, oddly enough, I'm not a fan of pencil beam aspherics at all. The beams just don't seem natural to me. I still like a little spill to still see what is going on out there.

Anyone else have a TK35? Does it compete with the big guns in the business? (Catapult V3, M3X, Eagletac M3C4)

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just pulled the trigger on a Fenix TK35

I don't have a TK 35 (YET) but it will be my next significant light purchase. From what Ive read here at CPF its a good combo of flood, throw and power! WTG on your purchase. BTW what type of 18650 cells are you using?

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have a few cells that I'll be trying out. I have 3000mAh ultrafires, 2400mAh ultrafires & have some 2900mAh AWs on the way. I still want to try out the tenergy LiFEpo4 cells.or the K2 Energy LiFEpo4 cells.

Also, does anyone have the lux readings for the TK35?

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how close in throw numbers the TK35 and TK41 will be? Same emitter, similar output, reflectors look close in size. I'd rather run two 18650's over 8 AA batteries

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened

In the beamshots on fonarik, it looks like the TK41 has much more throw than the Tk35. Seems like the hotspot really lights up the vault ,where the TK35 is still good, but not as good.
I'm torn between the two; TK35 is smaller and runs on 18650 cells, the TK41 looks like the size of a Maglite, need 8 AA cells, but da*n, it lights up the night.

easilyled

Flashaholic

The larger reflector always throws further for the same emitter driven at similar current levels.
Therefore the TK35 will not compare with the Catapult V2/V3 XM-L or Olight M3X for throw.

I have seen someone measure the TK35 at about 25,000 lux at 1 meter
selfbuilt's reviews show the Catapult V2/V3 XML to be 46,000 lux at 1 meter.

However consider just how much more portable the TK35 is. Its certainly no slouch in the throw department and its overall output is spectacular.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
The larger reflector always throws further for the same emitter driven at similar current levels.
Therefore the TK35 will not compare with the Catapult V2/V3 XM-L or Olight M3X for throw.

I have seen someone measure the TK35 at about 25,000 lux at 1 meter
selfbuilt's reviews show the Catapult V2/V3 XML to be 46,000 lux at 1 meter.

However consider just how much more portable the TK35 is. Its certainly no slouch in the throw department and its overall output is spectacular.

Thanks for the lux numbers... I knew about the larger reflector diameter = greater lux/throw. I didn't know how large of a discrepancy there was between lux readings.

Well, it's decided... I'll just have to buy all of them and do a comparison video/beamshot post. =D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll be waiting at the marketplace for you to put on sale the one you don't want :) lol

recDNA

Flashaholic

I'll tell you what I don't understand. The V3 draws 3.5 amps at the emitter on high. The TK35 draws less. How is the TK35 is rated over 800 Ansi lumens and the V3 under 770?

recDNA

Flashaholic

I wonder how close in throw numbers the TK35 and TK41 will be? Same emitter, similar output, reflectors look close in size. I'd rather run two 18650's over 8 AA batteries

Lux rating of the TK41 is close to double the TK35. According to ANSI figures TK41 beats the V3 in lumens and lux. According to the users manual it also allows use of L91's which are much lighter than eneloops when you use so many. It is my next big purchase unless reviews reveal something bad - like the green tint of the TK35.

Too bad you can't use 4 X CR123 (voltage would probably slump to the same as 8 X L91's) or 3 X RCR123 somehow. I imagine 12.8 volts of 4 X LiFePO would toast the driver because voltage won't slump as much. In fact fresh off the charger I bet 3 LiFePO cells could power up the TK41 to full power but no way to align them properly.

Last edited:

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the Fenix TK35 in my hot little hands. Well, really warm large hands but those are semantics. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I made the right call. I know that there is a bunch of light coming out of this thing (800lm ANSI I believe) but still I am a bit unsteady.

I am a throw light kind of guy. While I have come to terms with my Flashoholism, I also know I struggle every night as a Throwjunkie. The farther away the object is that I can illuminate the better. Now, oddly enough, I'm not a fan of pencil beam aspherics at all. The beams just don't seem natural to me. I still like a little spill to still see what is going on out there.

Anyone else have a TK35? Does it compete with the big guns in the business? (Catapult V3, M3X, Eagletac M3C4)

I have an M3C4 and I'm getting a TK35 in the mail tomorrow - pm me in a few days, I'll let you know how both fare side by side.

srfreddy

Enlightened

You could probably get the right sized lifopo4's from china.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

Was looking at the TK35 Mean A$$ light but I keep thinking about how Bright the 41 shines at the vault looking at how is lights up even the deepest areas in there with a ton of light is amazing. The battery issue is a hang up for me on the 41 tho. Anyone have one can an adapter be made to use only a few Lithiums maybe 3 14500 and copper plugs or just Build a 3 cell 14500 battery holder. not sure if 3 18650 cells could be configured in a holder inside the housing if someone would measure depth and diameter that would be great making a battery holder is easy as pie. I guess at any rate eneloops will have to do.

Joe

recDNA

Flashaholic

You mean 14500 sized LFP? But 8 of them would be way too high in voltage so you would suggest using 4? Voltage would still be too high.

blub

Enlightened

I have both, TK35 and M3X. Tk is not a thrower but it still throws very well, it puts out a LOT of light, more useful light than the M3X which is a thrower. These pictures show the difference although they should have been exposed longer. The trees were really lit up more than the picture shows by the TK and the M3x. @ 125 yds

Fenix TK35

tk35.jpg

Olight M3X

OlightM3X.jpg

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

Was looking at the TK35 Mean A$$ light but I keep thinking about how Bright the 41 shines at the vault looking at how is lights up even the deepest areas in there with a ton of light is amazing. The battery issue is a hang up for me on the 41 tho. Anyone have one can an adapter be made to use only a few Lithiums maybe 3 14500 and copper plugs or just Build a 3 cell 14500 battery holder. not sure if 3 18650 cells could be configured in a holder inside the housing if someone would measure depth and diameter that would be great making a battery holder is easy as pie. I guess at any rate eneloops will have to do.

Joe

If all 8 cells are run in series then you could use 3 X 14500 with 5 dummies theoretically but I don't know if they are in series or parallel?

Throwjunkie

Enlightened

You mean 14500 sized LFP? But 8 of them would be way too high in voltage so you would suggest using 4? Voltage would still be too high.

Oh no no 3 14500 only as you said depends on how the 8 AA are configured to run.

Joe

srfreddy

Enlightened

I'm pretty sure its 8S, and if it was, you might be able to put 4/8 14500 IMR's in the TK40 carrier, though I don't see the point-eneloops are easier to charge.

Last edited:

Latest posts