Field / Work lighting for tractor

voltman

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this fits into transportation lighting or not. If not, feel free to move the topic.
I am looking to retrofit the field / work lights on an older tractor to LEDs
What is available that is high quality, an
d available in 4000k-5000k color temp?
I'm not necessarily trying to match the size and look of the original lights, and may even consider curved light bars if something good is available.
Everywhere I search online, the lights are all 6000 to 6500K color temp if they even publish the color temp.
I've even considered buying some off the shelf housings and trying to swap in some decent LEDs, but I'd rather not go that much trouble if I can help it.

ss9oIJoxhEiLkSE9mTu=w2654-h1991-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only speak for what I find retail OTC in Canada, which is a good selection of round, square/rectangular and bar-type after-market "auxiliary" LED vehicle lighting. Typically they run from 10-30vdc. Mounting is typically small bracket or two for smaller units. I can't confirm operation on vehicles as I've only used them indoors but ones I've obtained (and opened up a few) show rugged construction with good heatsinking, and overall good quality.

I agree on CCT, all seen here have been 5000K and above. As for changing LEDs. these lights are very well sealed and difficult to open without damage, at least to the plastic lenses; possible but difficult.

Other thing is their regulatory compliance (or not) for on-road vehicles, you would need to check for your usage; not sure which country's regulations apply.

Image is inside a small 5-LED lamp, about 1000 lumens, lens removed. It is an older design.

Unknown which brands you've checked online, I could round up a short list of mine, if it helps.

Dave

LED_aut_spot_10v_30v_1050lumen.JPG

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diode dynamics SS1/3/5 pods in the Sport and Pro models use a 4000k LED chip in the models that are offered in the selective yellow lenses. However, you can purchase the selective yellow pods, and swap a clear lens in place of the yellow optic. They do not offer the 4000k white chip lamps with the clear lenses. Only 6000k chips are.

They are good quality lamps, I have several SS3's and most recently picked up a set of SS5 sports.

The Sport models use a smaller, higher intensity lumileds chip, which results in a tighter beam, but they are lower output than the cree xpl-hi chips the Pro models use.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some brands available here (Canada) include Alpena, everGear, Blazer International, Bright LED, and "Mr. Blacksmith"; not endorsing these, just saying they are out there for checking/comparison.

One light I acquired, Alpena Quadfire, 4-LED cube-shaped spot, is actually intended for marine use. CCT is not spec'ed on package but may be available somewhere. At first it appeared neutral, but compared to 5000K ac bulb, seems similar or a bit cooler, but no bluish or purplish traces so not unpleasant. There must be others similar out there.

I suspect reason some of these lower-cost products don't state CCT readily could be possible substitution of LEDs with different CCTs, not a surprise at low/mid-end prices.

I have seen LED spots with same brand and model, same specs and outward appearance, purchased at different times, but different designs inside, including LEDs and driver configuration.

To what degree is cost a factor, what is your budget/limit; and country of manufacture preferred or essential?

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to throw some more wood on the fire, some other brands seen here locally are Trux, Northern Ridge, and Volt King.

Dave

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
And of course: many sellers lie about color temps, because they believe higher numbers bring higher sales. I replaced the PAR36 headlights on my 65 year old tractor, then added some PAR36 floods to the bucket arms. The PAR46 rear floods will swap to LED when they burn out. Read the Amazon reviews, especially the negatives. And watch for the "fish hook" in the graph of reviews. Mine is a low budget operation.😉

I've never understood why I find a Grote rubber PAR36 lamp housing for more $ than I find a 35 watt tractor flood mounted in the same housing.🙄

voltman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll look into some of the brands you recommended. Just to be clear, these would be for field work lighting only, not for road use lights.

voltman

Newly Enlightened
Some brands available here (Canada) include Alpena, everGear, Blazer International, Bright LED, and "Mr. Blacksmith"; not endorsing these, just saying they are out there for checking/comparison.

One light I acquired, Alpena Quadfire, 4-LED cube-shaped spot, is actually intended for marine use. CCT is not spec'ed on package but may be available somewhere. At first it appeared neutral, but compared to 5000K ac bulb, seems similar or a bit cooler, but no bluish or purplish traces so not unpleasant. There must be others similar out there.

I suspect reason some of these lower-cost products don't state CCT readily could be possible substitution of LEDs with different CCTs, not a surprise at low/mid-end prices.

I have seen LED spots with same brand and model, same specs and outward appearance, purchased at different times, but different designs inside, including LEDs and driver configuration.

To what degree is cost a factor, what is your budget/limit; and country of manufacture preferred or essential?

Dave
Budget isn't a huge concern, but obviously there are limits. I did find one company out of Australia called vision lighting that offers off road lights in warmer color temps, but they don't appear to sell outside of Oceana.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be better to find an automotive store which deals more with this type of lighting,
compared to residential/commercial building lighting.

Dave

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
I have made extensive use of Hella lighting, and find them to be the very best "off the shelf" aftermarket lighting products available here. No brand I can find pays any particular attention to tint though.
I've found Hella to be acceptably neutral, and at least decent CRI. To my calibrated eye, at least. :au: