finished a new LED headlight with standlight!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi gang,

One of my bikes was still equipped with a headlight that I built around 2000... using a Luxeon V LED! It was great for its time, but it is awful by today's standards. I needed to build a new headlight before winter set in, so I decided on just running two LEDs in series and adding a standlight circuit that I have used before...

15674268650_a359cb4e06_c_d.jpg

It does use a mosfet bridge rectifier, which I like because it helps maintain the light output when I slowly climb a nearby 14% grade.
The standlight is powered by a 100F, 2.7V supercap. This is a change from my usual practice of using a AA nicad cell. I liked the idea that it won't require replacement after 10 years like my earlier headlight.

I considered just letting the standlight be active at all times, but I wasn't sure I wanted it to be running while it was parked in a bike rack. With a nicad, I always used a switch to disable the boost converter in the standlight. This time, I decided to try a reed switch for that purpose. The reed switch would be sealed up inside the housing, so it wouldn't become corroded or clogged with dirt.

How to mount a magnet to activate the reed switch?? I sketched out a few ideas, but ended up with the concept of something that looks almost like a rotary switch. The magnet is housed at the end. I did use steel M3 screws to hold the magnet at the "on" and "off" positions, and the steel M3 also serves as a flux path between the magnet and the reed switch.

15861670415_0e86f128e0_z_d.jpg

15239382834_46f784fa7e_z_d.jpg

The circuit board was just hacked out of copper-clad circuit board. Not good looking, so I hide it inside the light (after coating it with plasti-dip).

15861029022_82a1528814_z_d.jpg

Getting everything mounted compactly and securely inside the housing, while allowing all of the wires to be connected can be a challenge. I sketched it out beforehand, especially with the size of the supercap in mind. It is pretty large and largely dictated the light's dimensions. I ended up making a subassembly of the supercap and circuit board. The was then connected to the LED wires and reed switch wires, and dropped into the housing.

15242012003_c9c7b3ab9e_z_d.jpg

The LEDs are Cree XR-E's, which isn't what I started with. My first choice was XP-E2 LEDs, but I was having trouble with the Ledil Heidi optics, so I went to the fallback option of the XR-E with Ledil Rocket SS optics.

15239379934_7b244dd565_z_d.jpg

Once those wires were in place, I could hook the wiring up to the board and confirm that everything still worked....

15674323280_ecdef44035_z_d.jpg

With that accomplished, the final installation of the parts could take place.

15674320910_11a8f1445a_z_d.jpg

One detail that I hadn't figured out, or appreciated, what how much light could be produced when the supercap was connected through the disabled boost converter. With the standlight turned off, the current from the supercap can flow through a schottky diode to the lower LED. I figured this wouldn't happen since the LED had a Vf of 3.2v or so, and the schottky diode has a Vf of 0.2V or more. Well, I forgot that the LED would still conduct a small amount at 2.7v. In truth, it conducts a little even down to 2.3V. I'm not happy about it, but it's not a big deal.
Here's a shot of it when the supercap is close to 2.3V...

15859664501_3508e87fbe_z_d.jpg

The light is finally done and mounted on the bike!! :)
For something build out of aluminum extrusions purchased from the hardware store, I think it looks pretty good. At least it looks better than the light it replaces.

15674312260_56efe016a6_z_d.jpg

This is the light it replaces.. this light does look better from the front, though. The blue goop is covering a small circuit board with a mosfet bridge rectifier. Amazingly, it survived at least a decade of use like this, in all sorts of weather. The blue goop is Plasti-dip, which is normally used to coat the handles of tools. It does a tolerable job of protecting circuits from the environment.

1022652239_8bd4cf5dc0_z_d.jpg

Well, that's all for now! Time to ponder what the next project should be. :)

Last edited:

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I'll be the first commenter :) I thought DIY-ing was gone from modern world, nice to see some activity! :) (sorry, I don't understand anything in dynamo circuitry, so cannot comment)

I thought you are more interested in road cutoff headlights, and here's a circular beam, on a road bike.. :shrug: Why not modify some SR80 or another (dynamo?) good headlight? Cut/extend the housing - make it ugly (good for anti-theft) and put your own electronics (your super supercap standlight)?

Or is the theft concern the answere? I've seen (on forums) LED mounted beneath a heat sink, and SR80's reflector attached beneath it, covered with bottle plastic.. Very thief-safe :)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a lot easier to get some Ledil optics than the shell of a light with good optics. This was a quick job too... I do want to work on some electronics to convert the 6v @ 0.5A to 3v @ 1A. Plus.. it would be nice to work in some peak power tracking too. Of course, a good standlight feature would also be needed.

On the other hand, for the riding that I do, the circular beam isn't a problem. I'm mostly out on rural roads with no traffic.

Anti-theft was certainly a feature of the light that I just took off the bike! This one will at least be an unknown quantity to a thief.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me odd, but I think it's beeautiful. Thanks for sharing your build, Steve. VERY interesting. I love that plastic dip stuff, I use for that kind of thing all the time. How about some beam shots?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks Derek! My lights are pretty basic, but the build quality has gone up over the years.

No beam shots yet... I haven't even had it on the road yet. I've got experience with the Ledil Rocket SS optics from my last light, though. On that light, I did take an evening photo that hints at the beam...

3847208728_a3409889ae_z_d.jpg

I used the Rocket SS optics in a conversion of a Cateye Micro II light too. I did take a photo of the LED conversion next to the original incandescent configuration (I have two of these lights).....

6817344903_46a562d6ed_z_d.jpg

I'll let you guess which is which. :)

For my tastes, the Rocket SS has a good width for a simple circular beam. It's the narrowest beam of the Rocket family... maybe 8 degrees full width? I'd have to dig out the data sheet to be certain.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I like the looks of that beam, very useable with some good distance (and what a great road too!).

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XR-E and the Ledil Rocket SS optic do pretty well, but I'm still wondering why I had trouble with the Ledil Heidi optic when used with the Cree XP-E2 LED. I wasn't able to get the optic to produce a well defined beam (which the Rocket SS has repeatedly done well for me). One problem is that the Heidi doesn't have any locating features that key off of the LED. Instead, it has two small pins that apparently fit into holes on a PCB.
The Heidi datasheet is here:
http://www.ledil.com/node/2/p/536

the mechanical drawing for the optic is here:
http://www.ledil.com/lett/2d_datasheet/d620ab-20120201_ah_Heidi-series_lens_datasheet_rev2.pdf

I had the LED mounted on a Bergquist MCPCB, and would have needed to precisely drill holes in it to use the locating pins, and I just can't do that. It's much more practical when having PCBs made, though, since holes can be very accurately located when the board is made.

I'll play around with the Heidi optic some more and see if I can figure out what I was doing wrong. If not, I may just use them in a less demanding application. <..sigh..>

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I like the looks of that beam, very useable with some good distance (and what a great road too!).

The pic was taken along one of my frequent routes when riding home from work. I'm just outside the urban area, and there are a lot of narrow, lightly traveled roads. Very nice. In the warmer months, the fields grow corn, soybeans, and pumpkins. This is a shot from the same road this fall....

15543105628_fc816241cc_z_d.jpg

a larger version of the panoramic shot is here:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7486/15543105628_3b37df6580_k_d.jpg

Panoramic shots are a lot of fun! :)

znomit

Enlightened
Nice work Steve. Two LEDs does seem to be the sweet spot for plenty of light and good slow speed performance.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks Znomit! Nice to have you drop in again.

My earlier dynamo headlight was a fancier design that used two LEDs at speeds below approx. 12mph, and used 4 series LEDs at higher speeds. It works fine, and the extra light is nice to have, but really not needed. That light is installed on a different bike and still gets a lot of use. For this bike, I didn't think it was worth the extra weight of the larger housing required for the extra LEDs and I was in a bit of a rush too. :)

Edocaster

Newly Enlightened
The circuit is way over my head, but the circuit board looks amazing, a real labour of love! Surface mount components make my head (and eyes) hurt.