Fire Foxes FF3 -- I Am Blown Away!! **NEW BEAMSHOTS ADDED**

one2tim

Enlightened
Ohh okay, so not like polarion. I live in a quite populated area and mostly use my flashlights for fun when walking my dog, except for fishing trips. So it's usually switch on briefly to shine at some distant trees without putting too much light at the houses all around. Hmm suspect this light might get me rather unpopular in the neighborhood.

one2tim

Enlightened
Help ! I'm receiving my ff3 tomorrow, but the aw3100mah cells I've ordered is still on their way. Can I use my old aw 2600mah cells with 5,2 max discharge, untill I get the new cells?

koti

Enlightened
As safety is concerned, It doesnt matter if You will be using 2600 or 3100 mAh - it will affect run time only. The light draws high amps only during startup and the manufacturer doesnt say anyting about having to use IMR. Im using non IMR cells in my ff3 for 2 months with no problems so my suggestion is that You drop those 2600 cells into the light as soon as You get it and enjoy a crazy little monster light :)

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help ! I'm receiving my ff3 tomorrow, but the aw3100mah cells I've ordered is still on their way. Can I use my old aw 2600mah cells with 5,2 max discharge, untill I get the new cells?

Yes, the 2600mah cells will be fine if the circuit threshold is set high enough for the initial spike. Not sure what the threshold is for the 2600s vs. the 3100s.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SupBeam K40, I was plan to get the FF3 first, It's a good deal won't pass it up, Its that a big different between the K40 and FF3, any picture to compare with both light?

axim

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine this week in Germany!
It is really amazingly small compared to my Fenix TK70. Some neighbour peeked through the window when I switched it on and flashed around outside.
Still waiting for some batteries I ordered (CGR-18650CG as well as NCR18650A), but some old CGR18650CF could give it at least a few minutes runtime.
I also did a quick measurement and it shut off slightly below 11 Volt which is perfectly fine.
Build quality also looks pretty good. Small improvement would be to cut out a little bit off its tailcap so that you could attach a keyring and still allow it to stand on it's tail (like Fenix does). But when using a strap you'll not have this problem anyway.

jalal20

Enlightened
Guys I am an LED guy but thinking seriously about buying the FF3, my only question would be if the bulb is replaceable ? I don't know whats that tiny rod coming out of its head and if its possible to change the bulb in case it needs to.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Guys I am an LED guy but thinking seriously about buying the FF3, my only question would be if the bulb is replaceable ? I don't know whats that tiny rod coming out of its head and if its possible to change the bulb in case it needs to.

I think it's replaceable as a lamp/reflector or lamp/reflector/ballast unit. The guys "in the know" will have to verify that though.

BVH

Flashaholic
They are replaceable by themselves but you must unsolder the return wire after it goes thru the wall of the reflector and resolder the new one. IIRC, you should have a decent level of soldering skills. Someone has posted, maybe it was Lips possibly with a pic in one of these threads.

jfl

Newly Enlightened
They are replaceable by themselves but you must unsolder the return wire after it goes thru the wall of the reflector and resolder the new one. IIRC, you should have a decent level of soldering skills. Someone has posted, maybe it was Lips possibly with a pic in one of these threads.

This is good news. However, does anyone have any idea where to purchase a spare bulb and what kind to buy?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bulb is replaced by itself but requires some work.

Placement of the bulb is hard but critical for max throw. Just a little off and you get a little flood. Hard to play around with stock bulb to tweak it as you may break the bulb. No way to easily shim with washers as bulb is potted in with high-temp silicon type glue. You have to dig that out to re-bulb also. Hard as heck for factory to get bulb exactly right as most units I saw have a little variation in beam pattern... Get it right and it makes a whole lot of difference...

You can see silicon around red wire that goes into bulb holder in back of reflector
bcd4cdb3.jpg

Bulb wire attaches to this connector then siliconed in
ec6f803d.jpg

Return wire attaches to reflector with pinch clip here. This is the wire that goes through small hole in reflector
23caf54d.jpg

Black ring screws bulb assembly into reflector. I haven't had time to play with it but you could possibly work out a shimming forward or back to get optimum focus in the reflector that makes a nice difference in throw... Not as simple as screwing tighter or loosening to adjust focus as if you loosen bulb will be loose and not seated all the way...
ced78ff9.jpg

Bulbs (Should last a long time unless you break one...
69dec30b.jpg

BVH

Flashaholic
If you change one out, be sure to run the light quite a long time with the front window removed so any silicone vapors are allowed to escape as opposed to depositing themselves on the reflector and window.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bulb is replaced by itself but requires some work.

Placement of the bulb is hard but critical for max throw. Just a little off and you get a little flood. Hard to play around with stock bulb to tweak it as you may break the bulb. No way to easily shim with washers as bulb is potted in with high-temp silicon type glue. You have to dig that out to re-bulb also. Hard as heck for factory to get bulb exactly right as most units I saw have a little variation in beam pattern... Get it right and it makes a whole lot of difference...

You can see silicon around red wire that goes into bulb holder in back of reflector

Bulb wire attaches to this connector then siliconed in

Return wire attaches to reflector with pinch clip here. This is the wire that goes through small hole in reflector

Black ring screws bulb assembly into reflector. I haven't had time to play with it but you could possibly work out a shimming forward or back to get optimum focus in the reflector that makes a nice difference in throw... Not as simple as screwing tighter or loosening to adjust focus as if you loosen bulb will be loose and not seated all the way...

Bulbs (Should last a long time unless you break one...

Thanks so much for the detailed info and pics on the bulb replacement Lips!! :twothumbs

Toppe

Newly Enlightened
No lucky for me with these cheap hids... Just realise that ff3:s bulb was not perfectly centered so.. i twist it open and you know what, bulb takes contact with front glass. Thats why it was not possible to get it centered in factory. Frontglass turns also when you tighten the lamphead and twist bulb... Quality? Damn.