fix my EagleTac MX 23L3C or buy a new coke can light?

hkusp9

Newly Enlightened
I've always kept a Surefire 6P sized light that takes 18650 rechargables in an open top-bezel up holster on the front of my belt, just right of my buckle.

Currently it's a 2800 lumen Nitecore TM03. Before that it was a Nitecore SRT7. I dropped that thing repeatedly and the only harm it suffered was a cracked lens. Ended up giving it to another guy when I upgraded to the TM03.

I use the little handhelds like these on low settings to search cars, take field notes, read licenses and write tickets, etc. For the most part, they seem to be much more impact resistant than the beer can lights. But they usually only put out a thousand or two lumens due to their size and its nice to have a stupid bright light to blind people on approach during a traffic stop or when they look like they're thinking of running / fighting etc. Also theres a lot more peace of mind clearing large areas like fields and apartment complexes when you can light everything up within 200 yards like daylight and you don't have to worry about walking past a dude in a bush and getting ambushed.

It seems like the soda can sized lights double or triple in output every couple of years and they're not durable enough to withstand being repeatedly dropped on concrete from waist level, and the better ones cost Glock money, but I keep telling myself that they're worth the cost of staying on top of a technology that greatly increases Officer safety.

Most guys are running around with 5 or 10 yr old streamlight stinger rechargables that have a tiny narrowly focused beam and they have just grown accustomed to not knowing what they can't see in the shadows.

ven

Flashaholic
Late to the party..............still I am going to throw something a little different in the mix here. Potential(all be it very short uses) of 4000lm in a compact 18650 light. Check the Emisar D4 out, mtn electronics or int outdoor for just $40.............The UI is fantastic, the light itself is good quality with good components inside. It can slip in your pocket easily, yet has pop can performance! Worth a look as a back up/EDC power house...............still can be used around 600lm indefinite. Its not perfect if you need a clip, body is on the slippy side...............still for $40 its the bargain of the year IMO.

Of course there is the BOSS from oveready....................not cheap but will last being used on duty. Buying a few eagtac over a few years can easy pass BOSS money, you have full back up on the BOSS...............years down the line. So in a way, its(as Chris says) buy once cry once, an investment for many many years.

Other option with your 6p(or any other bored p60 compatible host), oveready drop in and v54 drop ins(vinh). Vinh does some great p60vn's, triple's, quads which can certainly light up a field. Some flexible driver options to suit various applications(set driver temp/turbo time, single mode or 5 modes, memory or no memory, start high, start low etc). Rough 2500- 3000lm dependent on LED choice............ Although not deflected bullets, mine have took many many hard drops without a flicker, options of also being potted(mine are not and tbh not needed so far....................inc drops onto hard industrial floors from 6+ft)

Back to the D4............yes tiny and 4000lm(variable dependent on LED choice)

Has a pop can brother.................small pop can. The m43

This is vinhs m43vn which kicks out a crazy 11,000lm and throws that light 90kcd...............in a pop can light that is smaller than the competition.

Not sure drop wise how it would do, it is certainly tank like in feel and heft. But those 2, the D4 and m43 make for a good combo. Just thoughts and a different angle on things. If its going to be dropped regular and is going to have a tough life, as Archy suggested malkoff where its at. Although less output, his hound dog will be enough light for most needs. Also his OTF lumens are brighter than Chinese OTF lumens, by that i mean his 700lm or 900lm seems to be brighter than some Chinese 1500lm's(dont mean ebay specials either..............respected brands!)

Last edited: