Flashlight for a College student

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I vote for the Stream Light 4AA pro polymer luxeon. Very bright light (for an LED) with lots of throw (for an LED). 4-6 hour run time too. Obviously, a 3-5 watt LED would be brighter but those also cost alot more. $23 at foxinternational.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my opinion on the matter.

Regardless of what you end up with, I think you'll find it indespensible to have either 2 lights, or one light with at least 2 levels of output. The thing is, having a very bright light is fun, and useful at times, but at other times, it's way too much light (blinding you) or more than you need (sucks batteries). And you might also find it prudent to only use lights that can use rechargable batteries. The cheapest CR123A powered flashlight isn't so cheap if you have to feed it batteries all the time.

For a single light, my favorites are the McLux III PD or the HDS EDC series. However these can make Surefires look cheap, so we can probably just skip over them. I like them because unlike many other lights, they have pocket clips.

IMO, the best all-around "personal" flashlight (meaning it's not a 2 battery "tactical" light) is the Fire-Fly III by DSpeck (available in the Manufacturer's section). Compared to every other 123A sized light, it's tiny (2.75" long for the keychain body--the pocket body is even shorter), but packs a hell of a punch. The circuit has 5 different operating modes which give you a choice of 2-3 output levels (fully adjustable) and strobe modes. Put a lanyard on it and it disappears in your pocket. Best of all it's designed to use rechargable lithium ion batteries, so you can run it for free after the initial purchase. With 2 batteries and a charger, it'll be shipped to your door for $136. That's about the price of a Surefire L1, but half the size and with more usability (and the SF can't use rechargables).

If you go with 2 lights, you could try a Nuwai Q3 (kinda a budget Surefire E1E) for your eye-melter. It can run on rechargable 123As, but runtime is pretty short. The upcomming Jetbeam Jet-1 looks to be a wonderfully versitile platform. It'll run on a regular AA like a Fenix L1P, but it will also run on a 14500 lithium ion rechargable (think of it as a AA sized R123A) for eye-melting goodness. The head can be swapped to a 123A body (and use either regular lithiums or rechargable li-ions) in a smaller package (twisty switch isntead of a clicky). However the initial run is sold out, and the production runs will be a while.

Even something like the Fenix L1P is a great light. Not eye-melting bright, but inexpensive, very high quality, and runs great on NiMH rechargables.

Whichever "main" light you get, compliment it with a keychain light like the Arc AAA or even a Photon micro light. I love keychain lights, because since you always have your keys, you'll always have a flashlight. My favorite keychain light right now is the Jil Intelli. It has the same circuit as the Fire-Fly III, but runs on a CR2 battery (also available in rechargables). It's tiny (barely 2" long) but damn bright for its size (damn bright for flashlights 2-3X its size). bright enough that it can replace most larger flashlights for normal every-day use unless you require a brighter light with more throw. And even if you get all the flashlight you need in a single one, it's always good to have a Photon (or even a Fauxton) on your keychain. They're extremely small and disappear on your keychain, and you'll always have it even if you forgot your "real" flashlight (or its batteries died).

As nice as the Surefire A2 is, I'm really not sure it'd be a light good for your applications. It's fairly long (think of it as a fat minimag), and needs 2 regular lithium ion batteries (expensive). SOme people run rechargables with it, but you'll only get about 30 minutes runtime with the main lamp. I would venture to say that it's more flashlight than you need. I would also venture to say that if you had both an A2 and a Fire-Fly III, you'd be walking out the door with the FF3 much more often, because the A2 will seem excessively large and too expensive to run. I see the A2 as more of a "professional" light, or one to keep by the front/back door for "bump in the night" situations, or to keep in the glove compartment. Also, if the size of the A2 means you might leave it behind once in a while, it might get stolen. The smaller the light, the easier it is to keep on your person.

The reason I'm so enamoured with rechargable batteries isn't just due to cost (although I suppose it is by extension), it's because I use my flashlights more often. I don't have to worry about the cost and draining the batteries playing around with them at my desk. And most importantly, I don't have to worry about how much juice is left. Use a flashlight off and on for a few days/weeks, and you'll have no idea how much life is left (especially if you use a light with regulation that doesn't dim when the batteries drain). Is it half drained? Is there only 10 minutes left? Should I put a new one in and waste what's left of the old one? Should I carry a spare? With a rechargable, you don't have to worry about this. Just charge it up. I know my McLux III PD runs for an hour at max. If I don't know how long I've used it, I just pull a fresh one off the charger and charge the old one. When I was using regular lithiums in my Surefire L2, I was always apprehensive about using it, even on low mode (and it lasts a longass time on low). Even if I needed it, I didn't like using the high mode because I knew it was draining my batteries. I don't worry about using high mode at all any more (all I have is single-cell rechargable based flashlights; I sold the L2) unless I'm taking a long walk somewhere or something.

I hope this longass post helps you make a choice.

rikvee

Enlightened
College student, mmmm, that means getting extra clever on a very small budget:

- convert your MiniMag with a SMJLED; 20 to 40 hrs on a set of AA's, great close-up light

- buy a G2 without the P60 bulb, but with the G90+charger, an ideal intro to flashaholic fun!

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Hey Planterz,

You have been SOOO helpful like everyone else on this board!!! Thanks!

Thanks to you, now I will only consider a flashlight that can take rechargeable batteries.

TO Everyone,

Is there an easy way to find out if it does or doesnt on like flashlightreviews or something? And now that I am mostly only considering rechargeables....I am less worried about runtime...because I could always charge the batteries in my dorm. But I still do not want a pathetic run time of like 30 minutes:grin2:

I may look into rikvee's comment about the surefire G2 with G90+charger...does it make the flashlight brighter or last longer or is it just a rechargeable flashlight? What do you guys think about this setup and would it be suitable for me?

How is the streamlight scorpion or..now that I am considering rechargeables. or the streamlight nf2?

Thanks a lot in helping this soon to be college student in his flashlight journey.:grin2:

RECHARGEABLES ALL THE WAY!! I am :sold: on rechargeables

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fire~Fly 3 is made by DSpeck, a member of CPF. It'll run you over a hundred bucks, but many here consider it well worth the price.

The G2 + G90/P90 + R123's will not only be brighter (than a regular G2 -- 100+ lumens vs. 65 lumens), but also rechargeable. A fantastic solution if you don't need a light that will run long periods (more than 30 minutes) at a time. It'd be fantastic for you if you don't foresee needing to run it for more than 30 minutes at once. Otherwise, you'll need to carry a spare set of R123's (rechargeable batteries).

Planterz hit the nail on the head. It's what I was wanting to express all along -- that the best solution is either two different lights or one light with different outputs. That's why I originally pushed for the A2. But you can achieve a similar effect with a Surefire G2 and an Inova X5, if you're so inclined to go the Surefire way. But then again, you can also have one light that's "just bright enough" and runs "just long enough" like the light I can't help but recommend -- the Fenix L1P.

If you're willing to plunk down $100, an HDS EDC Basic 42 would be a good choice. It can run on rechargeables, and it has 4 different light output levels, giving you 30 minutes of runtime on its highest level, and 8 hours on its lowest. IMHO, the HDS EDC series of lights is one of the most versatile lights any manufacturer has to offer.

besafe2

Enlightened
Allnew2me said:
If you go Lithium how about the Brinkman Maxfire, tough to beat for $17. I don't have one (yet) but have read a lot about them and played with them at target. Good reviews at most of the sites and cheap enough.

What this poster said. I do have one & I like it.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the plain vanilla SureFire 6P? As, stated above, you can find 123's for good prices from several of the aforementioned vendors. If you're looking for brightness and not concerned with runtime you can upgrade to the P61 lamp assembly for high output. SureFire also has plenty of accesories available for future upgrades, including a rechargeable conversion kit, click-on tailcap, and LED lamp assemblies (KL3 and KL5). You can also add an A19 extender and a P90 bulb and ...voila!...You have a 9P that will give you over a 100 lumens with an approximate 1 hour runtime. The advantage to this is that you start off with a good light and as your finances improve, your light can improve with them! Just remember, you gotta walk before you can run. Also, if you carry a backpack, you can get an SC1 spares carrier to keep several extra 123's in. There are also other online suppliers from whom you can purchase compatible lamp assemblies (incandescent and LED, btw) from at a less-than-SureFire price and are said to work just as good.

Don't the get the 4AA ProPoly. It's too big to carry around daily in a book bag. It's close to the size of a cheap 2C light.

You can't have one to do everything, so I'd get the $17 MaxFire (bright as your 3D Mag or more) to carry around on a daily basis for impromptu mechanical room inspection and the like (you do urban exploration?)

For nightly walk and such, get an Inova radiant 2AA. ($20 at Target)

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, since someone mentioned that the 4aa would be big, I would highly consider the fenix...as it takes rechargeable 123. Do all flashlights that run off 123 also run of rechageable 123? What would be the cheapest rechargeable kit for 123's?

My budget would probably be around 50 or less not including the rechargeable batteries or recheargeable kit.

igabo

Enlightened
Not all flashlights that run off of CR123's are capable of running off of Rechargeable 123's (also known as R123's); because the normal CR123's are 3 volts, while the R123's are 3.7 volts, and if that light can't tolerate higher voltage; it will break if R123's are used.

Second, I strongly reccomend that you not use any type of lithium-ion battery, such as R123's, until you get experience, they're very dangerous, and before you consider buying them, you should read the following thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/78843

Though it's unknown what went wrong, this could have been from misuse, such as over-discharging or mixing cells. Unprotected Lithium-ion cells are literally bombs waiting to blow up, if used incorrectly.

So, because of this I strongly suggest you stick to a light that uses NiMH rechargeable batteries (rechargeable AA's, AAA's, C's and D's) such as the Fenix L1P, L2P, and Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon until you read a bit more on Lithium Ion cells.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
rydude07 said:
Thanks, since someone mentioned that the 4aa would be big, I would highly consider the fenix...as it takes rechargeable 123. Do all flashlights that run off 123 also run of rechageable 123? What would be the cheapest rechargeable kit for 123's?

My budget would probably be around 50 or less not including the rechargeable batteries or recheargeable kit.

Not all CR123 lights will take RCR123's, you never want to use RCR123's in place of CR123's in an incan light because you will blow the bulb:huh:. However most LED lights will take the RCR123's but you should always ask if you are unsure, because it varies form light to light.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but most 2xCR123 lights will run on 1x17650, which is a rechargeable battery that puts out the same voltage as 1xRCR123 but it is the same size as 2xCR123 batteries. You will see a decrease in brightness, but it is not a huge difference, I don't do it much, but it is something to consider, if you want rechargeable and are on a budget.

My personal recommendation would be the G2 with the G&P LED upgrade in it, at that point you can hot swap between the LED assembly and incan assembly, which will give you some control over the level light.

For what you have said so far, I would recommend the Fenix over the Inova, I just like it more, its a personal preference and I am sure others will tell you different.

If you'd like, drop me a PM and I will send you a little "welcome to flashaholisism" package. Hope I was helpful.:naughty:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Wow..thanks igoba, that really gave me a heads up! Maybe I should just look into flashlights that dont run off of 123's yet (since i want it to be rechargeable). Whew i am such a newbie.:awman:

Thanks for the advice. Maybe the fenix IS the right choice.

So i guess I am limited to the Fenix and surefire poly now?

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
igabo beat me to the RCR123 thing. But I do disagree about the li-ions being very dangerous, especially if you use protected cells.

That thread is one incident out of how many li-ion batteries out there, I don't mean to start a fight here, but I think that if you treat your batteries well, don't store them in too hot or too cold places, as well as don't leave them in the charger fro excessive amounts of time, you should be fine.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Moder said:
igabo beat me to the RCR123 thing. But I do disagree about the li-ions being very dangerous, especially if you use protected cells.

That thread is one incident out of how many li-ion batteries out there, I don't mean to start a fight here, but I think that if you treat your batteries well, don't store them in too hot or too cold places, as well as don't leave them in the charger fro excessive amounts of time, you should be fine.

To buy a 123 flashlight that can support R123 or go with NIMH AA flashlights....that is the question:laughing:

I have decided to use rechargeables regardless of the flashlight I buy (AA or 123)...but I feel safer with the NIMH:grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P and the L2P run off of AA size batteries and rechargeable AA cells work great in them. The new Fenix that has not started shipping yet is powered by the 123 size cells.

Buy the Fenix, you will be happy!

I have numerous different lights including the Surefire U2, M3T, M2, L5 to name a few and the Fenix is one of my favorites. It goes in my pocket everywhere.

-Goatee

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one seems to have mentioned any of the off-brand 5+ watt Luxeons and clones. Are these lights no good? I dunno. I don't own any of them, but I've heard some people like them. If I were a student on a budget, looking for some wow factor, I might consider at least a little research on these lights and similar:

Quicksilver 5 watt from Emilion:
http://emilionworkshop.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83

Nuwai 5 watt ALX 352 from GoldenGadgets:
http://www.goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?pName=5-watt-luxeon-star-led-handtorch-flashlight

Golston 7 watt from Dae Xu:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/golstonreg-2xlir123a-waterproof-rechargeable-recommended-p-409.html

Although I don't own any of these particular lights, I have purchased other products from all three of these dealers, and I haven't had any problems. Although two of these still aren't "cheap" by student standards (at least, they wouldn't have been cheap when I was a student), they're still half the cost of a Surefire A2.

rikvee

Enlightened
igabo and Mini-Moder, that thread is about mixing dissimilar STANDARD Lithium batteries, not about rechargeable Li-Ions at all! :rant:

rydude07, the rechargeable G90 in a G2 body would be the brightest, and with the SMJLED in a MM you also have the cheapest of all the suggestions so far, no further expense.....

for the rest of the year you could research all the modding options with a 3D Mag,
and there's plenty of joy in that! :grin2:

Last edited:

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
What it really comes down to is this: There are so many cool lights out there and the fact that you are still here contemplating all this after a couple of days of complex discussion means only one thing.....you're done for! :) Relax and don't think so much. Trust me on this, before all is said and done you will have bought many flashlights and have thoroughly enjoyed yourself along the way. So chill out and just buy one or two of the inexpensive lights for now and along the way you can go for the gusto.

You need two lights.

First light is for your keys. Peak LED Solutions Matterhorn, Arc AAA or Fenix LOP are my first choices and all take commonly found AAA batteries. This is also where you will get your long runtime ability becasue with the exception of the Fenix, these lights wil give you hours of usable light. I'm not as crazy about Photon type lights but many people like them so that is another choice and they are cheap. Remember, you will use this light more than the other one I absolutely guarantee it. It needs to be very small and on your keys. Forget that crappy AA Mag that you already have, any of the above tiny single cell AAA lights will blow it's doors off.

Second light should be something brighter but also small. It is tough to carry a 2 cell light all the time and it isn't enough to have it in your pack. To be the most useful to you the light has to be on your person. That immediately points towards a smaller light and luckily nowadays single cell lights can easily meet the requirements. Once again I strongly urge you to keep to the common battery types. The Fenix AA is the best choice here above all others as a fantastic entry level light. You have the versatility to run it on lithium AA, alkaline AA or NiMH. It's small, pocketable, decent runtime and shockingly bright.

Your third light will be up a couple months up the road and will be something cool like a 123 light but really, stay with the above recommendation, read these forums awhile and you will be well on your way.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
rikvee said:
igabo and Mini-Moder, that thread is about mixing dissimilar STANDARD Lithium batteries, not about rechargeable Li-Ions at all! :rant:

rydude07, the rechargeable G90 in a G2 body would be the brightest, and with the SMJLED in a MM you also have the cheapest of all the suggestions so far, no further expense.....

How long does the G2 flashlight with the G90 lamp last for?

Thanks Peter . I will definately consider those flashlights!