Flashlight for breast pocket

Illum

Flashaholic
I never got around to doing this with my Stylus due to limited performance anyway...but if you take apart an alkaline 9v you get 6 cells that are just a tad shorter than AAAA.

many say 9Vs work but they require some homemade spacers and a couple coats of tape, lest they go about their days shorting to the sides:shakehead

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
alphavuk:
Welcome to CPF

The ITP C8 series is very large with no clip. If your looking at the BJ site - there is a typo in the length. The length should read 155mm not 105.5mm. It will just drop out of your shirt pocket.
:welcome:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a Sunlite Slim 3AAA 100lumen warm white from http://www.powerledlighting.com/100lmSlim.html this should fit in the pen pocket of my shirt pocket, hopefully this is what you are looking for. It has many options like headset attachment and 12" bendable flex tubes to make working under the hood a lot easier. http://www.powerledlighting.com/HeadsetAttachmentandFlex.html

Here is a great thread with reviews of several triple A and quad A pen lights: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255710

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I looked closer at the Nitecore D10 as previously recommended, and totally love how far back the clip is....but again, it looks like cheap bendy metal rather than nice stiff spring steel, or am I wrong Jaguar Dave?

Nitecore Clip is a tank, you'll love it! One of the better clips out there by far.

I also think the Preon levels are nicely spaced apart, plus its the perfect size and weight for shirt pocket carry and also has a quality clip.

You couldn't go wrong with either, both run nicely on NiMhs

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight.

im a aircraft mechanic. and carry my zebralight all the time. it usually sits in my front chest pocket. or i can clip it to my to the middle of my chest right above a button of my button up shirt. its great at close range cause its a flood light. i have the h501w model and its rated at 80-90 lumens.

its a great headlamp(comes with a headband), lightweight and small. but i dont even need to attach it to my head because i can clip it securely to my shirt. its great at close range, and brightens everything in front of you.

mine uses a single AA battery, or you can get the model that uses a single 18650 cell, which is much brighter.

since i use my lights on a daily basis, i charge them every other day, just so i know itll last me the night without any problems.

the clip on zebralights work great. can easily be adjustable to point where you need it most.

i also ordered some magnets to attach to the bottom of the light, makes its usefulness so much better.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I looked closer at the Nitecore D10 as previously recommended, and totally love how far back the clip is....but again, it looks like cheap bendy metal rather than nice stiff spring steel, or am I wrong Jaguar Dave?
The Nitecore clip is very strong metal, not bendy in the least. I have one clipped to my top pocket of my overalls every day and it has never slipped a bit and I've ridden horses with it, been almost thrown off a ride on mower at decent speed over very bumpy gound and any number of times a day I lean over working on engines etc so that the pocket is near upside down.

I like the strength of the Nitecore clips so much as well as their placement right at the end of the torch that I've ordered a couple of spares to adapt to my Quark torches too (since the original quark clip is too far down the barrel of the torch for me).

cityevader

Enlightened
The more I think about it, the more I'm bothered by how much sticks out above the pocket. The underside of my left arm is constantly getting caught on the Streamlight Jr's tall/rubber tail when reaching across. Especially when I'm wearing a jacket.

Since only Preons are in stock, may be the only way to go.
Plus I could find a purty EDC pen to match the classy black/titanium!

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
from the sounds of it, i think the preon2 would be perfect. the clip MIGHT give some problems, but i dont think so..so far its great.

i wear a crew neck shirt, and i always clip it to my neck of my shirt..dont mind it there =] its really light weight.

one down fall is its short run time.. using it mutli times a day, i think you would have to recharge it every night.....so maybe 2 AA might be better but it'l weight more...

preon2 tops out at 160 lumens...

cityevader

Enlightened
Work supplies alkalines, but I still use one of those alky chargers once in a while. My 55lm streamlight goes about 2 weeks on alky AA's, so not a lot of use. The AAA headlamp goes about 3 or 4 days before reloading/recharging depending on low/high beam use. I've never tried NiMh yet, but probably will.

cityevader

Enlightened
Well, I got $50 for my birthday, so went ahead and ordered the Preon II in the black titanium edition. It's beautiful. Perfectly sized (I'm now a huge fan of 2AAA!) I like how little it sticks above the pocket. The beam is perfect, and wonderfully well spaced output levels as a few mentioned.

I DO NOT like the switch. I'd read about it often in reviews that the titanium doesn't slide against itself very well and sticks unless pressed perfectly in the center. I could live with multi modes if the switch was perfect, but with goofy switching, levels are hard to get right. I'm really a fan of single mode bulletproof operation.

The Preon will go onto the marketplace soon, as I now am eyeing the Streamlight Stylus Pro, (although it might be a tad on the weaker side of output).

Last edited:

cityevader

Enlightened
Well, I sold the Preon II and bought a similar Fenix LD05.....and love it!!!

The switch is flawless and has a firmer click to it. I also love the UI starting off in medium first as it is by far the most used mode, then lo, then hi. Also no silly strobe and such. It's a bit heavier than the Preon, but no biggie. Clips securely into pocket, perfect beam....love it!!!

The old Streamlight Jr luxeon is now being retired, and man does it feel clunky compared to the LD05!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I sold the Preon II and bought a similar Fenix LD05.....and love it!!!

The switch is flawless and has a firmer click to it. I also love the UI starting off in medium first as it is by far the most used mode, then lo, then hi. Also no silly strobe and such. It's a bit heavier than the Preon, but no biggie. Clips securely into pocket, perfect beam....love it!!!

I am enjoying a new Fenix LD05, too. The 2AAA form factor works best for me in shirt pocket duty. It doesn't feel like I am carrying a flashlight and the 2AAA length fit my hand better than 1AAA lights.

Read a few negative comments about PWM and weight which caused me to hesitate making an LD05 purchase, but I took a chance and am delighted. PWM doesn't bother me and I am using Energizer Advanced Lithium AAA batteries so the weight isn't a problem.

The LD05 displaced the Streamlight Stylus Pro from my shirt pocket.