Flashlight Parasites

DM51

Flashaholic
Reflector Fungus - A.K.A. Mule Fungus
The highly reflective metal used in photon parabolic reflectors is prone to infestation of Reflector Fungus. This fungus, Laccaria Iaccata, has an appetite for metals. Fungi in Metal Contaminated Soil When the shiny metal has been consumed, it will spread to the rest of the reflector(if metal) or to the body and electronics of the light.

If your flashlight reflector gets contaminated by Reflector Fungus, do not open the bezel. To do so will release the spores and contaminate the air and will lie dormant until exposed to another reflector. Do not bury it. Most homes have underground wires, pipes and other metal objects that the fungus will feed upon if deprived of its favorite medium, reflectors.

To remove Reflector Fungus infestation, follow the same procedures as Vent Mold, except open in sealed room and skip the month wait. Just DO NOT put a photon parabolic reflector in it until a month passes.

As with most diseases, it gets name from its first victim. The first case of this was observed by McGizmo in a prototype PD-Q light (The Mule), which eventually lost the entire reflector. McGizmo liked the beam pattern and instead of destroying it, produced more.
*authorities have been sent to McGizmo's shop and it has been certified Reflector Fungus free.
That is a very timely update to this useful thread.

There's a new case of Mule Fungus HERE.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we're discussing flashlight parasites, let's not forget the infamous flashlight mooch. The flashlight mooch is a uninformed unintelligent ignorant homo sapien who makes fun of people that are prepared for the unexpected. They tend to waste their money on drinking, smoking, or on other such vices while telling flashaholics that spending money on a quality flashlight is a waste of money (and that the money would be better spent giving it to them to waste on one of their vices). They often own expensive homes, clothes, or cars that a flashaholic can say the same thing about (that it's a waste of money). They tend to spend more time and money at hospitals than flashaholics because they are never ready when disaster strikes, even when it was foreseeable. Their philosophy for being prepared is "I don't have to carry a flashlight, knife, or other tool. In an emergency, I'll just borrow yours." It never occurs to them that in an emergency, whatever tool the flashlight mooch wishes to borrow will be in use by the ones prepared enough to carry it. They always ask others for a flashlight when it's dark and treat good lights like they would a rental car. They have no problem bringing back cheap lights to the owner, but good lights are often kept or returned broken after they "play with it" to see how tough it really is. If a flashaholic doesn't loan out a light to them, they tend to walk directly in front of the flashaholic, casting a shadow on the area that should be lit up. Worst of all, the flashlight mooch outnumbers flashaholics 1,000 to 1.

Flashlight mooches can be cured with cheap edc's like a Fenix EO1. This treatment has a 50% success rate. Care must be taken to not start flashlight mooches on anything harder such as Surefire lights or even an ITP A3 EOS. Harder treatments such as these lead to addiction and an incurable condition known as E.W.S. or Empty Wallet Syndrome.

Last edited:

legtu

Enlightened
Send one to me. I have a scientist friend who can help us study that "thing". :grin2:

Dear Dr.Phil,
I just opened my BOB so I could lube the threads and seals of the three E01 that I have.
OMG!!!1111 WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM!!!??

fenixtopiggieled.jpg

What can I do and how fast these these these :sick2: procreate, I swear there was only three E01 just 3months ago.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

:thumbsup:

On the subject of the Ubiquitous Flashlight Mooch . . . .

I have found, through extensive personal research and experience,

that these irritating pests can be quite effectively vanquished !

Simply state the following words, in a Loud and Commanding Voice:

Go Forth, and Multiply !

Shorter, more concise phrases can be equally effective.

:whistle:
_

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man! This is exactly what happened to an SST-90 emitter in one of my Mags. An entire colony started feasting on the phosphor, and I knew I had to do something before my other lights were infected, and it was too late to save them. I realised rather quickly that my SST-90 was going to have to take one for the L.E.D. flashlight arsenal, that now calls my house a home. Although, I must say, a whole colony of Chip Weevils creates a bright and beautiful blue color while they're expiring (being incinerated). It's bitter sweet though; My SST-90 received a full arcenal burial:candle:. One more colony wiped out!

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow.

Well, I guess I learned today that there could be parasites living in my flashlight feasting on the Led.

I guess I will not be clipping my light to the inside of my sleeping trousers again:shrug:

:laughing: