Flashlights for travel ?

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened
Re: Few questions for first post-

Surefire is a huge name with a lot of history and pioneering back in the day, but in 2019 they are more a legacy brand than a top of the game brand. There are much better options today :)

On CPF we like a lot of things and a lot of options. 2 is 1, different horses for different courses, and variety is the spice of life, ha ha. So while there are some that stick to AA/AAA only and some that stick to lithium only, most of us have a lot of both because each chemistry has its strengths and weaknesses.

There are many good brands and models on the market, but in my opinion Malkoff truly is top of the game for quality, value, reliability and customer service.
For what you've written as your mission requirement, I recommend Malkoff.

Good feedback- thank you for your insights. Malkoff continues to get good marks.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I'm not a big fan of 1xAA (or 2xAA) lights for the most part, because modern 1x18650 lights have far greater outputs & energy capacities. With their efficient multimodes, very few spare cells are needed on most trips in my experience - I mostly use the full-power settings near home, and find that 'medium' can make one cell last for an entire trip.

While I've always liked SureFire, many of their lights seem to have only two output modes - attempting to make a difficult compromise between a very efficient 'low' and a useful 'medium'. Three-mode lights tend to have excellent medium modes; enough output to make them useful for general use, while having enough efficiency to permit very long runtimes before needing a battery change. I'm not a big fan of traveling with a lot of spare / loose cells - they get in the way, are easily damaged, and could on occasion attract inconvenient attention from airport screeners.

As a minor point, most of the decent-quality 18650 lights can do well on a pair (i.e. 2x) of CR123 cells as backup. Not a lot of help during adventure travel of course, but might rarely be of some assistance.

I am however a /big/ fan of 1xAAA pocket lights for backup; efficiencies have gotten to a point where the considerably-larger AA lights are mostly superfluous in actual use. Where a 1xAA backup light takes up noticable room, the tiny AAA lights can fit in just about anywhere.

Last edited:

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

Will you have power to recharge the 18650 cells on the trip? It sounds like you might not. I'm curious then why are you sold on 18650s? I trust surefire 123As in a wider range of conditions much more than my best 18650s. When you get back you may be able to use 16650s for general use. Many surefire flashlights take 16650s.

I will be off the grid for four nights, so I do plan on bringing CR123s with me as backups. I am "sold" on 18650s because I already own three batteries in that size and like rechargeable, also they fit the Olight S20 I have (which I am looking to upgrade for this trip) and don't want to keep up with a bunch of different sizes- but open to a good argument why I need to rethink my approach- I will also have a basic headlamp and my solar Luci Light for general area illumination under my hammock tarp. I do not plan on wondering around in the dark much as everything down there seemingly wants to eat you :eek:

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

I'm not a big fan of 1xAA (or 2xAA) lights for the most part, because modern 1x18650 lights have far greater outputs & energy capacities. With their efficient multimodes, very few spare cells are needed on most trips in my experience - I mostly use the full-power settings near home, and find that 'medium' can make one cell last for an entire trip.

While I've always liked SureFire, many of their lights have only two output modes - attempting to make a difficult compromise between a very efficient 'low' and a useful 'medium'. Three-mode lights tend to have excellent medium modes; enough output to make them useful for general use, while having enough efficiency to permit very long runtimes before needing a battery change. I'm not a big fan of traveling with a lot of spare / loose cells - they get in the way, are easily damaged, and could on occasion attract inconvenient attention from airport screeners.

As a minor point, most of the decent-quality 18650 lights can do well on a pair (i.e. 2x) of CR123 cells as backup. Not a lot of help during adventure travel of course, but might rarely be of some assistance.

I am however a /big/ fan of 1xAAA pocket lights for backup; efficiencies have gotten to a point where the considerably-larger AA lights are mostly superfluous in actual use. Where a 1xAA backup light takes up noticable room, the tiny AAA lights can fit in just about anywhere.

More great advice, thanks. Do you have a favorite 1xAAA light? Another good backup does makes a lot of sense, and would take up almost no room in my tactical "tackle box" sling pack.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

So with regards to headlamps, are you imagining cell compatibility between your 18650 main light; or a smaller headlamp using either one of your CR123 backup cells or AA/AAA ?

Over the years, I've tended to go with the smaller headlamps that either use 3xAAA (maintaining cell compatibility with my 2xAAA penlights), or 1xCR123 (using the backup cells for my main 18650 light).

Last edited:

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

So with regards to headlamps, are you imagining cell compatibility between your 18650 main light; or a smaller headlamp using either one of your CR123 backup cells or AA/AAA ?

Over the years, I've tended to go with the smaller headlamps that either use 3xAAA (maintaining cell compatibility with my 2xAAA penlights), or 1xCR123 (using the backup cells for my main 18650 light).

I have an older Black Diamond "spot" that runs on 3-AAAs, see no need to change it out at this time.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

[...] Do you have a favorite 1xAAA light? Another good backup does makes a lot of sense, and would take up almost no room in my tactical "tackle box" sling pack.

I did a /detailed/ minimalist flashlight thread pretty recently, here; I'd highly recommend reading it closely.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...uggest-a-better-(or-lighter)-flashlight-setup

Most of my discussion in that thread was on the AAA format; I have found the classic Fenix LD01 to be the best general-use 1xAAA pocket light of all time, bar none. It's been around for ages & may have been replaced by now, but its combination of flexibility, affordability, and reliability has never been surpassed IMO. On the other hand, 1xAAA is a /very/ wide field, and others here may have equally-valid opinions

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I have an older Black Diamond "spot" that runs on 3-AAAs, see no need to change it out at this time.
Perfect - I carried a Black Diamond Spot for many years - until my then-wife lost it on a hunting trip (along with 3x Eneloops, sigh).

So a spare pocket light in 1xAAA format would be a natural - no spare cells would be necessary, as replacement cells can be taken from the headlamp to cover nearly any unplanned event.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Honestly, if you wanted to go really ultralight, but still have substantial power, maximum redundancy & refuel options;

• Pelican 1920 2xAAA penlight (~220 & ~22 lumens)
  • Fenix LD01 (or similar) multimode 1xAAA pocket light for backup
  • Your Black Diamond 3xAAA headlamp
  • Qty.3 spare Eneloop AAA cells
The total weight would be comparable to a single 18650 light w/ a spare cell or two, but the all-AAA setup would have extraordinary redundancy & spare cell options. Just an idea ...

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a Prometheis Beta (single aaa) pass through my hands recently, and I was very impressed. It's a twisty with, now, a L/M/H. It's a nicely made light.
I just got myself a Streamlight Protac !L !AA which runs on AA, AAA, CR123 and 16340 cells with no adaptors necessary. A little longer than one would like, but with that versatility you can't knock it. Very bright on the 1.5v cells and extra bright on the Cr123 and 16340. It working with me at theBrewery and is proving to be robust and useful.
P

Lumen83

Enlightened

I will be off the grid for four nights, so I do plan on bringing CR123s with me as backups. I am "sold" on 18650s because I already own three batteries in that size and like rechargeable, also they fit the Olight S20 I have (which I am looking to upgrade for this trip) and don't want to keep up with a bunch of different sizes- but open to a good argument why I need to rethink my approach- I will also have a basic headlamp and my solar Luci Light for general area illumination under my hammock tarp. I do not plan on wondering around in the dark much as everything down there seemingly wants to eat you :eek:

A lot of folks here have a lot more flashlight knowledge than I do and they have some great suggestions. I'll just throw out some info on my thought process and use case as it may be similar to yours and let you know why it works best for me. And I will start by saying that none of this applies to my every day carry or use lights. Those are all 16650/18650 based. And they are typically incans, except for my EDC. Also when considering CR123A to be the most reliable, I am taking into consideration its tolerance for the cold which may not be applicable in your case.

I spend a lot of time in the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains and in the Mountains of the Northeast USA backpacking for 3-5 nights. I'm also a part of two search and rescue teams that operate in those environments year round. When backpacking/wilderness camping, almost all of my tasks while hiking or around camp are best accomplished with a floody headlamp with a neutral tint. Unless I am above treeline, I am in thick brush like you will be in the rainforest. So 100 lumens is pretty darn bright. You likely do not need 1000. My biggest requirement is reliability. I accomplish this by standardizing on CR123A cells (which I feel are the most reliable in all conditions), and by adding redundancy. Redundancy in my pack comes from carrying multiple lights that take the same cell. So instead of carrying spares in a spare carrier, I carry 3 single cell CR123A headlamps. These are small and lightweight vs. an 18650 headlamp w/spares. This affords me two spare cells in addition to the cell in my current headlamp, or two spare headlamps in the event of a failure. But since I don't put myself in a situation where my life or someone else life depends on a light without a Surefire, Malkoff, or an Elzetta on hand, I also usually carry a 2 cell Surefire. This gives me the choice of another 2 cells for my headlamps or the use of a handheld with more throw and utter reliability if I need it.

You can accomplish all of this with lights like Olight H1Ns and a Surefire G2X for just a little bit more than 200 bucks. Over the years this is what I have narrowed it down to for the reliability and redundancy of this system in that you can tolerate many failures while carrying many spares in the most efficient and lightweight means that I am aware of while running what I consider the most reliable battery in all of the lights on hand. I don't place value high on my list of priorities when my life is on the line, but if you consider that for a similar price you may get one 2 cell ultra-reliable light along with the spare 18650s and optional spares carrier, this is really hard to beat and worth considering.

Finally, please remember that you may find a light that is built like a tank and is utterly reliable with the worlds best warranty. And that light may survive you dropping it in the river or off of a cliff or losing it in the rainforest. But unless you can find it/retrieve it that does mean you do not have a light anymore if all you brought was that one because you broke the bank on the worlds greatest flashlight. You just have a set of spares laying around in the dark.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened

If the ability to recharge as you need it isn't a problem, I think 18650 is great. However if access is limited and you want something more widely available, then yes, AA and AAA is still highly favored for that reason.

I think AAA lights have their place but if you are looking for more run time and brightness than perhaps a 2x AA light might be a consideration.

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

Thank you Lumen 83- that information was indeed helpful.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened

I do not disagree with anything stated in this thread.

I was going to recommend a supplemental light such as Lumintop's Tool 2.0 which with a 14500 will get you over 600 lumens max and it will get you 270 lumens with an Alkaline. (If you go with their Tool AAA and use a 10440, you will get 700 lumens BUT it will not take an ordinary AAA after the use of an 10440.)

However, my own preference for one of several supplemental lights, if I were taking your trip. would be a Nitecore Tini which would blast out 380 lumens tops but I'd wear it on a lanyard with a Nitecore Tube. Use of those lights when appropriate would reduce the utilization of your other batteries/lights. I'm a huge fan of unobtrusive lights on lanyards.

I own and like your solar light choice but for where you are going I'd instead consider either the Waka Waka Solar light or the Waka Waka Power (also solar, which can recharge other devices, unlike the WW Solar light.)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Have renamed the thread; to somewhat clarify the (broad) scope for the OP, and also to provide some indication as to its content for casual readers.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened

Thank you for the feedback. I called Malkoff today, and the gentleman who answered the phone was a great guy (builder/designer). Made me want to give him my money as I prefer to support the "little guys" doing big things, and keeping my money in the US is a bonus. He too mentioned the Hound Dog, although it may be a bit bigger than I may want, it sure sounds like a great product for around the farm spotting coyotes and checking in on livestock.

I should have mentioned that I have a decent headlamp that I use for camp chores and agree with the advice about going "hands-free".

I will look a bit deeper into the AA platform to asses how things have changed recently. However, I have several Nitecore/Olight 18650 batteries that should get me through for a few days. If it is a survival thing and I can make it to a place that sells AA batteries, I guess I would be found... so still trying to weight the options on this one.

At this point I am really considering why I wouldn't by a Malkoff product (which I had never heard of prior to reading this site) and seeing if there may be a better option for my first "higher-end" flashlight, however, based on my history with guns, knives, camping gear- I doubt it will be my last...

Ive done quite of bit of traveling and been off the grid a bit as well so flashlights tend to be some of the first things I think to pack.

My main travel light has always been a AA MDC, mostly because even if I'm in a small town in the mountains of Ecuador I can feed it. But I understand if 110lm is not enough for most here. Currently I travel with a Malkoff E1T head on a single AA body with eneloops.

if I was in your shoes and had a reliable way to recharge batteries I would pick a malkoff MD2 with a M61 and a high low ring. I would pack 123 primaries as well as a AA back up light.

Or I would get a 2AA MDC (which will also run on on a single cr123) and pack both eneloops and energizer lithium's. I find the MDC line easier to carry and for me that means that I will always have it with me.

My opinion is that the ability to feed your light is as important as the amount of light it puts out when abroad.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I've gone from AA LSD nimh as my main source of power to 18650s in the last few years as I've grown to dislike using multiple AAs in devices to get decent runtime and output and find decent quality lights cost MORE than decent 18650 lights which blow away them in output and runtimes. AAA is needed when smaller size is needed for pocket carry. I don't see a need for AA or CR123 format with the exception of not being able to find any way to recharge 18650s and not really sure you can easily find CR123s easier than AAs and taking along extras when you can instead take along extra 18650s which I believe have a higher power density and can be recharged when power becomes available is IMO a better thing. I would also take along one of my 10000mah or larger Anker power banks to be able to recharge my phone even though I can't use the cell part I could talk via internet wifi using it.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

So 100 lumens is pretty darn bright. You likely do not need 1000. My biggest requirement is reliability.
This is such good advice.
Unril I started using HDS, my first was 170Lm, I considered 500Lm a bare minimum and 1000Lm ideal. I was wrong. In the real dark 100 Lm is more than enough light and will give so much better runtimes.
I can understand that you want a bigger output for some situations, but for genral prpose lighting you can use and enjoy lower outputs.
Maybe a Malkoff MD2 with a drop in of your choice around 400Lm that will use a 18650 or 2 x CR123s. Or the same drop in in a VME head on a Malkoff MDC tube that will take 2 x AA cells.
Of course none of this will come any cheaper, despite the lower outputs. But you will get reliability and better runtime.

P

Poppy

Flashaholic

For four nights, I'd have 4 18650's, so I'd suggest that you buy another one. Actually ONE might last the entire trip, but I like back up and redundancy, because, one never knows.

In addition, I'd use a second 18650 light as a battery carrier back-up light.

I don't like AAA batteries due to their relatively low capacity. A single 18650 has a similar capacity as a dozen AAA eneloops. However, I do like carrying a single AAA light as a back up, and since you are set on your black diamond HL and will have AAA batteries anyway, it is a no brainer to also carry a single cell AAA light.

LiIon chemistry batteries hold their voltage until they are just about depleted, and then they drop off quickly. Running on an 18650 battery, one may find himself suddenly out of light! A little pocketable AAA light may save the day.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I am not sure how we have gotten this far with no clear comparo pics of some popular lights to choose from?

Each of these lights can carry an 18650 and is considered a pocket light and the SF and MD2 have been popular for great reasons as long as I have carried modern lights and suggested repeatedly i this conversation.

I wear Carpenter Pants for work and mainly for the extra side pockets where I carry a bigger set of Diagonal Cutters every day on one side and a 2nd 18650 light on the other.
I can feel the difference in weight pretty easily from whatever I stick in these pockets and I choose an EDC light that does not need to ride there but instead one that I can easily carry clipped into my main front pocket.

I love my MD2s and MDCs a lot but.......

I also need more than 2 or 3 levels to choose from and especially when camping outside I like to have a much lower low mode and greater selection than I can get from Malkoff and SF.

The Blue light is a Convoy and even it offers a huge selection of modes and output levels,a great selection of emitters all while being a $15 light!

I have learned that I will simply be more eager to carry a light when it is more lightweight and flexible than another and so again I will suggest a Zebralight.
I have carried them for many years and have come to trust them completely but even looking at the other 2 crazy popular lights in that size range right now,both of which offer a wide range of ramping output levels along with incomparable high output when needed I just will not weigh myself down anymore unless I have a better reason to?

Which would you rather carry?

8b2736b9054b55a5db2c8ee4424dc47e.jpg

5333cbd839be1b686f44e0436ebb0f18.jpg

48a8543d722e3d2511a24d960eadc538.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts