Flashlights for travel ?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think also to be really honest about it here I would likely bring a few HDS lights if this were me but I also already own them and this would be way over the price limit wanted here by the O.P. too!

Otherwise though it just seems that there is a lot more that could go wrong relying on 18650 cells that require charging in an environment that I have zero knowledge of ahead of the trip.

I have not been all over the world myself but am told that one can find AA batteries in every corner of the planet for the most part.
These are the batteries that I would plan to rely on rather than take a chance with not having light as needed. The Energizer 91 are really light weight and long running and I would be carrying those and reliable AA lights even of carrying 18650 lights because Mr Murphy and I have been known to be pretty close when least wanted at bad times!

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have AA & AAA lights and usually carry no less than 4 when travelling on longer trips, 2 lights day to day travelling. I can usually do most things with 20 lumens and find 100 lumens to be plenty, so capacity is rarely an issue for me as all my run times are lengthy. 2 is 1...1 is none. If I carry cells that I can interchange between lights as well as a common cell that can be found world wide, chances are I will always have light no matter the circumstance.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think also to be really honest about it here I would likely bring a few HDS lights if this were me but I also already own them and this would be way over the price limit wanted here by the O.P. too!

Otherwise though it just seems that there is a lot more that could go wrong relying on 18650 cells that require charging in an environment that I have zero knowledge of ahead of the trip.

I have not been all over the world myself but am told that one can find AA batteries in every corner of the planet for the most part.
These are the batteries that I would plan to rely on rather than take a chance with not having light as needed. The Energizer 91 are really light weight and long running and I would be carrying those and reliable AA lights even of carrying 18650 lights because Mr Murphy and I have been known to be pretty close when least wanted at bad times!
I disagree with you. 18650 lights are perhaps MORE reliable than AAs.. as you don't need a boost circuit that reduces runtime and efficiency and load at any output level on the battery source. A single AA light requires from 2-3 times the current from the battery as an 18650 light at the same lumen output level 2x if using L91s I figure and more than 3x using nimh or alkaline at high current loads. 18650s have the highest power density of all batteries thus the L91 has no advantage in power density only in singular cell size when you start carrying a handful of L91s you can start substituting the same volume/weight of 18650s and have more power available in a format that is more efficient to power lights with giving you more lumens for longer operating times. Some 18650 lights can use 2xCR123s also and if you can find L91s in the wild you probably have a good chance of finding CR123s. The biggest problem with finding AAs in the wild is if you can't find power then the quality of AAs being sold may not be very good you may end up with overpriced crappy cells that underperform, are defective, leak and damage your stuff. If you can find a place that does sell high quality batteries they may also have power or be able to provide you access to power for a few less than what it costs for a replacement stash of AA alkalines etc equaling the cost of recharging all your 18650 batteries. Some 18650 lights have insane runtimes on lower modes. I have an HL60R headlamp that lists 100 hours at 5 lumens off a 2600mah 18650. With a 3400 that would probably equal about 140 hours that is 2 weeks at 10 hours a day or a month at 5 hours a day. At 50 lumens it lists about 29 hours which is an hour a day for a month at that level or 5 hours for 6 days.
Essentially with 2 18650 lights and 4-6 extra batteries and intelligent use you could last months without needing recharging and perhaps need several dozen L91s costing $25-$40 to replace with probably alkalines costing $1 each if rare enough.
Some 18650 lights also can use 3AAAs if needed (with a carrier) in an emergency (yuck).

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I actually never said or think that I implied that I think AA is more reliable than 18650 and I sure do not think this either?

All I was saying is that there is more chance for darkness if I need to charge batteries in a foreign country than if I can just buy AA batteries there.

If I led you to think I meant anything else,I did not.

I disagree with you. 18650 lights are perhaps MORE reliable than AAs.. as you don't need a boost circuit that reduces runtime and efficiency and load at any output level on the battery source. A single AA light requires from 2-3 times the current from the battery as an 18650 light at the same lumen output level 2x if using L91s I figure and more than 3x using nimh or alkaline at high current loads. 18650s have the highest power density of all batteries thus the L91 has no advantage in power density only in singular cell size when you start carrying a handful of L91s you can start substituting the same volume/weight of 18650s and have more power available in a format that is more efficient to power lights with giving you more lumens for longer operating times. Some 18650 lights can use 2xCR123s also and if you can find L91s in the wild you probably have a good chance of finding CR123s. The biggest problem with finding AAs in the wild is if you can't find power then the quality of AAs being sold may not be very good you may end up with overpriced crappy cells that underperform, are defective, leak and damage your stuff. If you can find a place that does sell high quality batteries they may also have power or be able to provide you access to power for a few less than what it costs for a replacement stash of AA alkalines etc equaling the cost of recharging all your 18650 batteries. Some 18650 lights have insane runtimes on lower modes. I have an HL60R headlamp that lists 100 hours at 5 lumens off a 2600mah 18650. With a 3400 that would probably equal about 140 hours that is 2 weeks at 10 hours a day or a month at 5 hours a day. At 50 lumens it lists about 29 hours which is an hour a day for a month at that level or 5 hours for 6 days.
Essentially with 2 18650 lights and 4-6 extra batteries and intelligent use you could last months without needing recharging and perhaps need several dozen L91s costing $25-$40 to replace with probably alkalines costing $1 each if rare enough.
Some 18650 lights also can use 3AAAs if needed (with a carrier) in an emergency (yuck).

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I have spent some time reading and searching which has created more confusion for me as a bit of a newb. So I will break this post down into several different questions to try to be direct as possible. Background, only non-basic flashlight I have bought is an Olight S20R, it is OK- but has not wowed me. I bought a high-end charger and several 18650 batteries so I have that purchase already behind me.

1) Thought I was sold on the Surefire brand (willing to spend what it takes for high quality) and noticed that Surefire only has a few 18650 lights available... I like the idea of the Fury for size, but I am not a fan of "bright only" and the "auto-dim" thing seems odd without a way to select dimmer light only. If Surefire is at top of the game, why only three "dual fuel" lights?

2) I also read a lot of discussion about AA, AAA lights and many of you seem to like them. Is there something I need to know about 18560s that you CPF gear-heads don't like? Or is it just a matter of airline's dislike for lithium-ions and added ability to buy batteries anywhere?

3) What this is leading to is a "trust your life" type of purchase for an upcoming trip to the bush in Guyana, South America. I am doing a hammock camping/river fishing trip there in a couple of weeks and want a light I can depend on, and to light up the forest if I hear something that causes the hair on my neck to stand up. I don't want it to be too big, but I want it to throw a bright beam. I would also like it to be useful when back home for other "bumps in the night". Budget is under $150. Thinking somewhere around 1,000+ lumens, 18650 batteries, (unless #2 convinces me different), I also don't really want the expense of throw away CR123s, waterproof, shockproof, and able to carry in pocket reasonably well. Considering Fenix TK15 and like Surefire's reputation but not sure the Fury is for me. What other lights should I look into...

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I know how to search and as stated I have read a bunch- but if you point me to a specific light I will gladly search for reviews/discussions to help narrow down my decision, just don't know what I don't know on this topic yet- but wanting to learn.

On your way to the Malkoff site, note if you sign up for their e-mail updates you will get 20% off your first order. I suggest their Hound Dog 18650. Don't forget a Tilley hat. Have fun.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. I think you may be misinterpreting love and appreciation for the quality/ reliability of a brand, that is particularly favored here on CPF- for it being the de-facto best there is for everything, for which Surefire is not, at least off the shelf. For similar mindsets and reliability, also take a look at Malkoff, Elzetta, HDS, and Oveready, to name a few.

2. Again, don't think that us "really liking something" means "you gotta/ should have this for sure". Having a solid AA/ AAA option is generally, a great idea because of how common the cells are and in a preparedness-mind that goes a long way. They also offer a really nice form-factor. This is nothing against another cell in particularity, much less the venerable 18650 form-factor.

3. Malkoff and Elzetta can fall in this for you. Fenix and Zebralight are two brands that are a bit cheaper, but also generally regarded as super-rock-solid. That being said, when I am looking for something to seriously trust my life to, price is not a factor. But that's not to suggest you HAVE to pay $$$$$, but I don't set any bounds as it relates to money for said purchase, high or low. I would definitely at least be looking for something that can take CR123s and 18650s. Eagletac, Armytek, and Fenix have offerings that do this.

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened
I really do appreciate all the help and advice from each of you. I thought I would post where I ended up. I understand the discussion about sourcing the AA and AAAs anywhere, however, nothing convinced me that having reliable rechargeable batteries have any negatives when only being away from power a few days at a time- like I said, if I can find a place to purchase more batteries, they probably have power available to recharge...(unless the airline will not allow Li-Ions, which is a whole other issue).

I am very intrigued by the Malkoff line, and the Hound Dog will almost certainly become something I add to my arsenal for use around my property, it just seemed to be a bit of overkill for my immediate needs.

I ordered a Fenix TK25 Red and Blue- several factors went into this decision: 1) the many positive comments that Fenix always seems to get, although "for the money" often accompanies the praise 2) I have always liked a red light around camp as it doesn't bother others as much and seems to preserve my own "night vision"- could be fun to spot animals with it as well 3) The blue light intrigues me for fishing and seeing through the water at night, may be total BS, but I at least want to try for myself and this trip will be the perfect opportunity 4) The white light is plenty bright at 1,000 lumens when needed 5) takes 18650 battery as well as CR123As 6) Bought directly from Fenix Lighting USA, so I know it is not counterfeit and they gave me a 20% off coupon with free 3-day shipping. While I was there and had the 20% off coupon available I threw the CL26R 400 lumen lantern in the cart. Primarily got it because we have been needing a good lantern to keep in the camper and it will come in handy on this trip too as it is much brighter than my Luci Light- both Fenix lights for $120 to my door.

So my packing list for lights for this trip will be my smallish Olight S20R, bit larger/brighter Fenix TK25 R&B, Fenix lantern, 2-3 spare 18650s, four spare CR123s (all previous lights take one 18650 or 2 CR123s): Black Diamond Headlamp with three extra AAAs (although I have yet to run this lamp down on any camping trip): Solar Luci Light. Still may pick up a little AAA light as has been suggested.

Curious to feedback and if you would make changes, and why...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I really do appreciate all the help and advice from each of you. I thought I would post where I ended up....

Thank you for returning to the thread and providing feedback on our suggestions and your choices.

Let us know how it goes, what worked great, and what you might change (if anything) ... cheers !

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I thought I would post where I ended up...
You ended up in a great place! Thank you for following up and letting us know what you did and why.

I think your decisions are well thought out and reasonable. My Fenix lights have been very reliable and efficient, and the brand does offer very good value. For your trip your loadout should be perfect; I'm completely confident that lighting will be the least of your worries with this equipment.

Please come back after the trip and let us know how it all turned out!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend you make all your AA/AAA cells, that you carry, be Lithium primaries. You can buy alkalines anywhere should you need it. Airlines are cool with lithium-ion cells just has to be in your carry one.

I'd also add that red doesn't really do all that much more to protect night vision, 10 lumens is 10 lumens regardless of color, and you would need more brightness of just red to get the same apparent amount of light from a dimmer white LED. Often, super-low modes are referred to as "moonlight" modes and are almost always below 1 lumen. This is arguably the best way to preserve night vision.

As for your overkill concerns about Malkoff: Yes overkill indeed, but overkill is highly underrated. Regardless, I always bring one or two dedicated lithium-primary based lights where ever I travel, excluding my backups in car/ bag.

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened
Well my Fenix flashlights served me well in the Rainforest. However, I discovered that it is not easy to photograph flashlight results. I have attached a couple, but sorry not great shots. This was our first night preparing Powis birds that we shot on the ride to camp. The first is on medium beam (which I used almost exclusively as it was plenty bright. The second is on high, which is really bright and was too much for any close distance viewing
2OsLodz.jpg
J01Q5nJ.jpg

In response to my desire to know if blue lights help with seeing "in" the water- that would be a no. I did not see any difference with the blue light, and the red may have done even a better job- keep in mind that the water in Guyana rivers is tea colored from the silt, so maybe clear water would be different. I did enjoy using the red at night, I don't know if it helped with "night blindness" but it did light up things a bit different and seemed to provide more "depth" to the vegetation and differentiation in objects. Again, by no way an expert, but thought I would report on my real-world usage findings. Oh, and the lantern was great in my hammock and did a nice job lighting up the area under my tarp. Only needed it on low to medium to do its job, so got no were close to using up the first batter after four nights.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] medium beam (which I used almost exclusively as it was plenty bright. The second is on high, which is really bright and was too much for any close distance viewing

[...] the lantern was great in my hammock and did a nice job lighting up the area under my tarp. Only needed it on low to medium to do its job, so got no were close to using up the first batter after four nights.

More CPF'ers need your real-world experience, lol.

As I posted on previously, I almost never travel with spare cells - just a spare flashlight using a common cell. :thumbsup:

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened
More CPF'ers need your real-world experience, lol.

Yep. The extra power was nice for looking out over the landscape, but certainly not needed for general duties such as lighting up a workspace or walking a trail. BTW, I warned Patrick about the high beam, but don't you just love the "turn that darn thing down" that the pic depicts with him turning his head away from the light.

Latest posts