Flashlights, Wifes and guilty feelings

MrSneakyMan

Newly Enlightened
What a crack up!

Being a fellow kiwi I can relate to the high price of getting good flashlights into the country. If my wife new I spent over $400 on a surefire flashlight she would probably spew. But what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her.

My paypal account and pre-loaded credit card are my sneaky tools of the trade. I work from home so I'm the first to know if a package arrives on the doorstep.

Hehe its such an entertaining habit/addiction.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Wirehair,

I normally never make any comments ..........

.......This is just ONE person's opinion - mine. We all have one so I thought I'd pitch in.....:)

Moses

Moses, that is a great post.

I'm married, have three children of my own and can relate. I truly hope it is read and taken to heart by many here.

Ziemas

Enlightened
Honestly it sounds like you have much larger issues in your marriage than just lights if you feel the need for deception and lying to your wife to pursue your hobbies. If you can't afford it financially then you really shouldn't be buying them. If you can afford it and your wife disproves, then maybe it's time for a serious talk with her about your wants and needs regarding your hobbies.

FWIW, I don't feel the need to ask or tell my wife if I get a new toy, but I usually do mention it to her simply because I like talking about my new toys. We are debt free, and all my toys for my hobbies are paid for in cash from my toy slush fund. All her hobbies are paid for the same way, by her. She doesn't question my purchases and I don't question hers.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Honestly it sounds like you have much larger issues in your marriage than just lights if you feel the need for deception and lying to your wife to pursue your hobbies. If you can't afford it financially then you really shouldn't be buying them. If you can afford it and your wife disproves, then maybe it's time for a serious talk with her about your wants and needs regarding your hobbies.

FWIW, I don't feel the need to ask or tell my wife if I get a new toy, but I usually do mention it to her simply because I like talking about my new toys. We are debt free, and all my toys for my hobbies are paid for in cash from my toy slush fund. All her hobbies are paid for the same way, by her. She doesn't question my purchases and I don't question hers.

100% agreed. I dont hide my lights from my wife... and yes she'll still wonders what got cross wired in my brain that made me like this kind of stuff... but if she gets mad then at least I was honest and I take my :whoopin: like a man. She gets over it quick enuff, all our bills are paid at the end of the day, and I end up with another light in the collection.

Lying and being deceitful with your wife and family over FLASHLIGHTS will only lead to a crappy ending and other deeper problems (and if it get REALLY BAD you may loose some of your Lights in the divorce :devil:).

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tell my wife she will be thankful for all my lights when power goes out for three weeks or there is some natural disaster, she just rolls her eyes and says "Boys and ther toys" and I reply "At least it's not bro's with my ho's". Then she realises she is married to a dork with no ambition to go and mate with other women, he's too busy playing with his lights.

moses

Enlightened
Lupara, Niteowl, thanks for the encouragement. Always a bit scary talking so transparently....:

Moses

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
:candle:Make sure you buy your wife a nice keychain light "for safety reasons":D

I have a small one on order for her, and she is actually looking forward to the day it arrives:wave:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 moses,

Thank-you for the excellent post. It was soothing to read. Thank-you for advancing your views firmly, you supported your point well.
I agree it is important to model appropriate behavior, because people will make their own judgments about us.
A deeper question is; If we can't be honest about the small things, how could we hope to relate when the larger issues are on the table?

A few months ago I was nervous about two purchases. I told her after the fact because it was useless if I couldn't use it around her. I did it by asking about getting another one, saying, 'this works well for (application), and i'm thinking about getting another one to replace (what I had).':eek:oo: She said I didn't need to ask her permission.:huh: Then she said not to sell the other one b/c she'd like to keep it as a back-up.:thumbsup: Then she said hold-off on purchasing a 2nd because i'd probably find something I liked better.:whistle:

fyrstormer

Banned
I had money set aside in an account to do with what I pleased. Wife wanted to consolidate accounts so that got dumped into joint accounts. Had tones of change around the house saved up. She hauled it to the bank. Sold a transmission and that got put into the bank. I accumulate money and then lose hold of it. We got all the debt paid off and paid allot of money for our wedding. I still don't get to blow my money with permission.
Oh HELL no. My money is my money. Some of it needs to be under joint control, but it will never all be under joint control.