FourSevens Maelstrom MMU-X3

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope. "universal" chargers actually suck e.g. Nitecore i4 sucks at charging eneloops and is too slow for charging 26650

That is your opinion, not a fact. True, the i4 isn't great for NiMH, but that isn't my primary use. And NiMH are very tolerant of abuse anyway, so even if it doesn't do the best job possible, I'm really not worried about it. It does a very good job with lithium ion, as long as you aren't in a hurry. I don't feel to need to charge at high rates anyway - slower charge (within reason) is better for the cells. I don't wait until the last minute to charge - I plan ahead, and so far both chargers have worked very well for me. And having the ability to charge virtually every kind of battery, from Ni-Cad to NiMH to lithium ion, from AAA to C size cells, with confidence/ease is worth a lot more to me than a theoretically better charging algorithm.

It has good reviews from the likes of selfbuilt and HKJ here on CPF, and excellent reviews on Amazon. Good enough for me.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is your opinion, not a fact. True, the i4 isn't great for NiMH, but that isn't my primary use. And NiMH are very tolerant of abuse anyway, so even if it doesn't do the best job possible, I'm really not worried about it. It does a very good job with lithium ion, as long as you aren't in a hurry. I don't feel to need to charge at high rates anyway - slower charge (within reason) is better for the cells. I don't wait until the last minute to charge - I plan ahead, and so far both chargers have worked very well for me. And having the ability to charge virtually every kind of battery, from Ni-Cad to NiMH to lithium ion, from AAA to C size cells, with confidence/ease is worth a lot more to me than a theoretically better charging algorithm.

It has good reviews from the likes of selfbuilt and HKJ here on CPF, and excellent reviews on Amazon. Good enough for me.

LOL. no need to be too defensive about your i4. even HKJ will tell you that he's not sure what type of termination algorithm the i4 is using which doesn't seem to be a proper negative delta-V. in my own testing it overheats cells. FACT is it does a bang up job of charging eneloops. if you wanna charge eneloops you're better of getting those bundled enloop smart chargers

as a li-ion charge it's pretty decent. just too slow for 26650. there's no benefit to super slow charging (i.e. 500ma) the big 26650. for the purposes of charging the mmu-x3 battery the user is better off buying something like an Xtar SP2 with ADJUSTABLE charge rates up to 2.0A which is LESS THAN 0.5C since the 7777 cells actually around ~4400mah

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you use the IMR 26650 you don't need protection.

The light can be brighter w/o protection, as the protection adds resistance, etc....and the IMR versions can supply more amps, for a longer period.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. no need to be too defensive about your i4. even HKJ will tell you that he's not sure what type of termination algorithm the i4 is using which doesn't seem to be a proper negative delta-V. in my own testing it overheats cells. FACT is it does a bang up job of charging eneloops. if you wanna charge eneloops you're better of getting those bundled enloop smart chargers

as a li-ion charge it's pretty decent. just too slow for 26650. there's no benefit to super slow charging (i.e. 500ma) the big 26650. for the purposes of charging the mmu-x3 battery the user is better off buying something like an Xtar SP2 with ADJUSTABLE charge rates up to 2.0A which is LESS THAN 0.5C since the 7777 cells actually around ~4400mah

FYI, "bang up job" is actually an idiomatic term for very good...not what you intended to say, I think.

I am aware of the downsides of the charger, and I never tried to dismiss them...I simply despise it when people make blanket statements like "it sucks" rather than pointing out pros and cons. For me, the NiMH issue is not important...so it is a good charger for me.

Likewise, calling it too slow is a judgement call...for me, it is just fine. I'd rather charge at a slower rate (750 mA, the i2 is 500 mA) anyway. And I'm not defending MY charger...I'm pointing out the advantages of the Nitecore i4, for people not familiar with it. I already know how it works for me. :)

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Ok, for the moment I'm going to stick with the current 7777s charger as I seemed to have got it working ok by tilting the battery slightly in the holder, not ideal I know but, I don't think I'll be using this as much now that my Nitecore TM26 has just arrived! this thing is bright and it's not a huge amount bigger than the MMU-X3 :) The MMU I think will end up on my bike! Here's a size comparison of my Jetbeam ST Cycler, MMU-X3 and Nitecore TM26...

tonkem

Enlightened
Anyone have some beam comparisons of this light? Against other lights? thanks. Perfect if anyone has a Lupine Wilma TL and Betty TL to compare it to. :)

tonkem

Enlightened
Gopajti, any chance you have a Lupine Wilma TL or Betty TL to compare. I do not own any of the lights you have compared. I would not want to get another light that is too close in comparison to my Lupines. Thanks and I understand if you do not have the Lupines.

Excellent review, by the way.

ven

Flashaholic
Just seen this,imo its a really nice light,surprisingly compact and basic UI.This makes a refreshing change instead of disco lights and multiple brightness levels(nothing against those).
The compact head with 3 leds makes it like a "really tiny monster" and like the 26650 size cell too and as said makes the light feel great in the hand.Holster wise i am not over impressed being honest,not much give in material which makes it less flexible if in a pocket(hardly a big deal) the press-stud is not over easy too,as the holster flexes a little when pressed due to the stud being quite hard to click in.

One of my favourite lights,from the grip and feel to the look.

Mine has been breathed on by vinh,6500k de-dome,so on an mkneIMR cell its around 3000lm,with a kinoko IMR cell vinh got 9.6A 3300lm:faint: gets toasty after a few minutes with the added grunt but does cool efficiently for its size.

Next to tm15

Little size comparison with from left-X3/M20/EA4/TK51/EA8/TM15

Next to the EA4

I love it:cool::twothumbs

Sorry if seen pics as posted some on another thread:)

To add i either use my i4 or wp6 the i4 seems to fit the cell a little better.Charge time obviously takes longer than an 18650,around 1-2hrs more i found but cant be specific as did not measure the V(but presuming it was at 40% charge out of the box).Its no issue to me as i have 3x26650 cells

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the photos ! especially next to the M20, really helps me want one ! did you retain the low mode in your mod ?

ven

Flashaholic
thanks for the photos ! especially next to the M20, really helps me want one ! did you retain the low mode in your mod ?

Hi there zs&tas ,yes it kept low mode,iirc its around 150lm which is fine for general use.Another pic with Roche and convoy m2

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
I bit the bullet and bought one, had to wait 2 weeks since it was on backorder! Sadly, it was defective, after running 2 minutes on high it drops down to what looks like low and then starts blinking and brightness goes all over the place. I tried 3 different batteries all the same issue. Called the vendor, explained the problem, they immediately sent out another one. Speedy delivery, good service! 2nd one is even worse, I am so disappointed, as soon as you shut it off and back on again, it comes on in high. I put my thermocouple on it, it only got up to 38C on the fins before shutting down, not even close to hot yet. I need to call back on Monday to see if they can test another one before shipping again. I own several 4sevens lights and they have been flawless so far.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get one from Vinh. He modifies them, and backs up his work.
I bit the bullet and bought one, had to wait 2 weeks since it was on backorder! Sadly, it was defective, after running 2 minutes on high it drops down to what looks like low and then starts blinking and brightness goes all over the place. I tried 3 different batteries all the same issue. Called the vendor, explained the problem, they immediately sent out another one. Speedy delivery, good service! 2nd one is even worse, I am so disappointed, as soon as you shut it off and back on again, it comes on in high. I put my thermocouple on it, it only got up to 38C on the fins before shutting down, not even close to hot yet. I need to call back on Monday to see if they can test another one before shipping again. I own several 4sevens lights and they have been flawless so far.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think the MMU-X3 will take the new King Kong 26700 batts? The 5,200+ mAh would be nice.

I don't know. But you can simply get a Keeppower 5200mAH IMR26650. This cell is, of course, just a standard 26650, and will fit without problems.

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
I am considering this light for my duty belt. Does anyone know if 4seven will be making a upgraded/newer model of this? I don't want to get outdated so quickly! Thanks ;)

Danielsan

Enlightened
I have some question about this light, does this light offer a low battery warning? If not, i will not buy it because its a bit dangerous. Will this light work with this battery
[h=1]"Enerpower 26650 4500mAh Li-ion Akku 9A/PCB"[/h]
Can the Xtar Vp2 Charger load the above battery?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some question about this light, does this light offer a low battery warning? If not, i will not buy it because its a bit dangerous. Will this light work with this battery
"Enerpower 26650 4500mAh Li-ion Akku 9A/PCB"

Can the Xtar Vp2 Charger load the above battery?

It does not have a low battery warning.

It will work with just about any size 26650, for 65mm (standard unprotected) to 70mm (longer than typical protected). It has a pretty big spring.

The VP2 will accommodate that cell just fine, as well.