''Future Weapons'' on the Discovery channel...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Just a FYI...the next episode of the program "Future Weapons" on the Discovery channel, Wednesday 05-10-06 at 9:00pm PDT, features green lasers, apparently designed to be directed toward the eyes of its recipient for the purposes of temporarily dazzling and/or disabling him or her..

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to watch this show. I usually like these kind of shows, as they show lots of cool stuff, shoot stuff, and blow stuff up. But the host guy is just way too much. Way over the top. I know he's an ex-SEAL and all (and if we forget, he reminds us every 2 minutes), but he really needs to tone it down.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait for them to put all the episodes on DVD!

chiphead...loves the smell of naplam in the morning!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to watch those shows and they show a lot of neat stuff, but why dont they use that stuff in our current military?

I think a lot of the non and less than lethal stuff would be great in iraq and other places, but it seems nothing beats good old fire power. Sure the police use pepper spray, tasers, but they show tons of weapons than those two. Sonic weapons, microwave weapons, etc.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of the main items was the self propelled bullet -- used in guns that shoot up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute. (right a million rounds per minute) no moving parts except the projectiles, which explode..
-- all I could think about was how much it costs to pull the trigger on that thing, and what a waste of money..

oh and also there were those self-loading tanks; just load em up with a bunch of shells and remote control em away.. 1 round per 10 seconds..how long before they triple that speed by putting two or three barrels on a sherman tank..? :santa:

Flightsintx

Newly Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
one of the main items was the self propelled bullet -- used in guns that shoot up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute. (right a million rounds per minute) no moving parts except the projectiles, which explode..
-- all I could think about was how much it costs to pull the trigger on that thing, and what a waste of money..

oh and also there were those self-loading tanks; just load em up with a bunch of shells and remote control em away.. 1 round per 10 seconds..how long before they triple that speed by putting two or three barrels on a sherman tank..? :santa:
I saw that show, too. Way cool show. Those were guns are from Metal Storm. They have a website http://www.metalstorm.com/.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
cobb said:
I use to watch those shows and they show a lot of neat stuff, but why dont they use that stuff in our current military?

I think a lot of the non and less than lethal stuff would be great in iraq and other places, but it seems nothing beats good old fire power. Sure the police use pepper spray, tasers, but they show tons of weapons than those two. Sonic weapons, microwave weapons, etc.

They do.

There was a big thread in the laser forum a few weeks ago, how the US DOD put out a special order for several hundred >5mW laser pointers.

It seems that troops manning checkpoints have problems getting the attention of people in cars with "third world driving style". They tend to turn and stop at the last minute, and that makes it hard to differentiate bad drivers from suicide car-bombers who are actually trying to ram the post.

The green lasers have been a very good tool for getting the attention of reckless or inattentive drivers before the checkpoint has to begin shooting. If they get the laser spot in the face, and keep coming, it's a much better bet they mean you harm...

The highly visible green laser has also been useful for spotting, target designation/fire direction, and intimidating insurgents during night fighting.