Gargantuan Real Life Shootout - PICS NOW ONLINE

JanCPF

Enlightened
Re: Gargantuan Real Life Shootout

Bernhard,

That is so useful - thank you - Great job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Now you just need to get the Arc4 and SF L5 in there as well.

It appears to me like the "1.08 McLux PR TWAK DB917" is every bit as bright as the L6 with almost the same side spill. Is this also true in real life?

EDIT: After ajusting my monitor a bit I now see that L6 has more side spill and the McLux has a slightly brighter hotspot - very interesting.

Jan

jtice

Flashaholic

.... That has to be the largest best group of beamshots I have seen in a LONG time.

Even with only half the pics showing up it was still Very impressive.

Thank you very much for alllll that hard work and time you put into that.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Very, very impressive Bernhard!!!
Even better than most of us reviewers produce, because you have ready access to an outdoor area for these beam shots.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I performed a "Save As" to my HTML files subdirectory, so I can even view it when CPF goes down tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a lot of $$$ in lights! Seems as though the pictures don't allow out side viewing. AKA you have to copy and paste in another window. The servers detect the REFER header that your browswer sends as a request for GET and if it sees it's a site other than it's own, it won't display. Gives me a Permision denied.
But they worked today for me! odd! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Nice work!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Well, thanx a lot for the kind words, guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, makes the time invested really worth it.
I am terribly sorry for those pics not showing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, this should be an imagestation-issue and will hopefully be corrected soon ...

JohnK ... it does not fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I am doing it nevertheless in the night and I am reducing my sleep time down to about 4h per night. That's why I look so old ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hotbeam ... at the beginning of each chapter there is a shot that compares all the lights in upright position for a size reference. Seems that it did not show up for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kogatana ... nope, no police cruiser. just a pile of metal junk between the shed and the factory building behind it. and for those things you can spot in the window of the shed ... I do not know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, never went near this shed myself, I just saw the stuff right now when you pointed it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. You have keen eyes and an analytic brain. After your great thread about Don's 917 I do not wonder why any more ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don ... those runtimes ... yeah ... maybe we should do this together one of these days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... just you and me, some lights, and the time slowly ticking away ...
and yes, kogatana sees more than we do. he knows my backyard better than I do ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JanCPF ... the Arc4 and the L5 are not made for me, I will never own them, sorry.
As for the PR-917 vs. L6 ... a tricky question. The 917 has a tighter and brighter hotspot and will throw longer. It has also a bigger corona, but much less bright than the L6. This means that the 917 is very good in close quarters (if you can avoid being blinded by the hotspot) and in long range applications whereas it is outgunned by the L6 (and also a 5W in a PR btw) in medium distances (like in this shootout), where the more flood-like beam of the L6 with the huge amount of light illuminates more since the hotspot of the 917 is too small and the corona useless at those distances. I hope I was at least a little understandable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. You just have to know what you want before buying.

Tom ... you're welcome anytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...

Craig ... thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. This shed was one reason (next to a balcony for a quick smoke) why I took this apartment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes ... today the pics are working much better ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... and keeping fingers crossed ...

bernhard

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even if it seems redundant - let me join in the rest of the appreciation and congratulations on a really useful and informative post. Really great job - fabulous work very relevant to real world outdoors use.

This is not a detraction from the great work and conclusions -
however for typical indoors and close tasks the "best" of these lights might not be quite as suitable - just because they are way too bright for the purpose - the almost totally "useless" mono-color lights might be more suited for the task, or a dimmer white - which obviously will not show well in this kind of a beamshot.

Please don't take this as anything negative about the work and conclusions -
it's just a simple case of different horses for different courses -
and that's why we all own so many different flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Vincent, of course you are right. Those lights in this shootout are all more or less powerful, most of them not suited for close-up work. But medium range at 15 yards isn't close-up, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We still need this little Arc AAA around here, do we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

Kiessling.

Good man. Well done mate, this is great stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Kind words Bernhard. Maybe once or twice a loonnng time ago when I was much younger. It's a challenge now just to find my damn automobile ignition keys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Great post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened

FYI guys,

I had half of the pics show up, and, like Chris, all the ones with the red x did come up with a right click and then "show picture" (in IE, your browser may have a different way to accomplish the same thing).

Good work, Bernhard!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! Bernard posts some fantastic stuff...I think he`s got way to many nice lights. Or...I don`t have enough. I to had a few red X`s but enough did come in to give me a good idea. "The E2 is dead" LOL...ohhh...just a couple years ago it was the rage. I bet in a few more years we`ll look at this thread...wonder what the hell we were thinking about those sad LS`s.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Thanx again all!
If anybody has still trouble getting those pics ... pm me and I can e-mail to you ...
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ok ... changed my pic host and now all the pics seem to work properly ... so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif
bernhard

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
Re: Gargantuan Real Life Shootout - PICS NOW ONLIN

Yup, they all loaded for me and all I can say is..... WOW!
Extremely useful. Nice work Kiessling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Bernhard,

This is a first rate review that covers a lot of ground and provides useful specific information along with well supported general conclusions.

Superb job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Brightnorm

balrog

Enlightened

Man, that is another excellent review Bernhard. This should be compulsory reading for anyone asking the 'which light...?' question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Doesn't the E2C adaptor + C series bezel + P61 lamp give the E2e a ray of hope? Pun intended.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

yepp, with the E2C the old E2e would look a bit better, sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but it wouldn't be an E2e any more ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

you have to keep in mind, too, that those lights that kill the E2e are state of the art high tech lights and not readily available to non-CPFers AND are quite a bit more expensive. So I have to admit that my statement about the death of the E2e is a rather subjective one and can hardly be true outside this community.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
bernhard

lambo

Newly Enlightened

I just want to join the chorus of praise, Bernhard. This is one of those few posts that gets saved to my hard drive so I'm not banging my head a month from now because you've taken the pictures down.

Speaking of which, I'm talking to Jets22 about an Arc LS modded with a 5W and BB750 just like yours (if we can find a decent emitter), but your old posts on that light no longer include pictures. Any chance of some more information on that light?

Great work, Bernhard. Your shootouts are always the best. Thanks for all that work.