GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time for our weekly update. The knob sub assemblies for ALL lights have been completed - see photo below (taken from the process documentation).

v3-knobsub.JPG

Than most of this week was associated with fine tuning the annodize process for the tuxedo versions. With the GatLight's design annodizing is pretty complex since annodizing is non conductive however we have a main electrical path that goes through 3 components - two of them annodized for the Tux version (back section and center section). In order to ensure that conductivity is fine we sent some sample parts to the annodizer, and now we are in the process of selecting the best option. That should be wrapped up Monday... than we expect to have all the parts back this coming week for the final assembly.....

Macaw

Enlightened
Have all the titanium parts arrived from the machine shop? Thank you very much for the update and photos.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Midweek Status Update:
So we got back the samples from the annodizer. We found a way to mask the critical parts by using plugs - the samples were some unpolished V2 parts (so keep that in mind - the V3 machining is a lot better).

Here is a photo of the annodized part we got back. You can see the 3 holes that were masked - looks perfect. A conductivity test is next, if that works well, all AL parts go out to the annodizer.

v3black-section.JPG

By the way these are not my nails, they are Kyle's :whistle:, nah, wait it's Melissa's our project manager at the company.

Regarding your question Macaw, all the Titanium Parts are 90% done - basically everything except the holes which happens on the mills. The shop decided to do all the AL parts first so they can be sent out to the annodizer (who takes a day or two), while the AL parts are being annodized, they run the Titanium Parts on the mills (holes). Than when we have'em back from the annodizer all center section parts go to the Laser marking place for the serial numbers, which takes 2-5 days. Than next step is than final assembly, drop shipping to the fulfillment company and shipping to you guys.

None of the parts actually get shipped to us, all the assembly happens at the "machine shop" - however machine shop is kind of the wrong term that company normally does only aerospace and medical stuff, they have a clean room, Quality Control Dept. - Infrastructure we can only dream off. So doing all the assembly, QC there is the ideal choice for this product - much better than doing it in Kyle's garage, kitchen etc like the V2. Besides those nails would get in the way... no wait I said those are Melissa's.

As soon as the final assembly starts Kyle and I, we both will both be on location to make sure everything works as planned.

Making sure that the annodizing doesn't interrupt the electrical path pushed the ETA out a little... into July 4th Holiday which pushed it out more, so our new deadline is July 15th. Sorry about that however progress is made... the black looks awesome.... and we're getting close.

jki

Newly Enlightened
I hope that the circuit conduction path will not rely on bare aluminum, even inside of press fit holes. Eventually the bare aluminum will oxidize and conductivity will be compromised. This is less of a problem on, for example, bare aluminum threads, where the threads must be rotated to turn on the light. But even these bare aluminum threads are subject to oxidation over time, especially if the light has not been operated for awhile. We usually observe this as flickering or erratic operation, which is only mitigated when the threads are cleaned. Manufacturers seem to be addressing this problem by coating the threads with chem-film or allodyne, which aren't inherently conductive in themselves, but if applied in a thin layer, seem to achieve a state of conductivity while offering protection against the formation of aluminum oxide, which is an insulator.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the amount of work that went into this light, I'm sure that issue was considered. Worry not, I'm confident they did whatever is best.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point :)

:popcorn:
I hope that the circuit conduction path will not rely on bare aluminum, even inside of press fit holes. Eventually the bare aluminum will oxidize and conductivity will be compromised. This is less of a problem on, for example, bare aluminum threads, where the threads must be rotated to turn on the light. But even these bare aluminum threads are subject to oxidation over time, especially if the light has not been operated for awhile. We usually observe this as flickering or erratic operation, which is only mitigated when the threads are cleaned. Manufacturers seem to be addressing this problem by coating the threads with chem-film or allodyne, which aren't inherently conductive in themselves, but if applied in a thin layer, seem to achieve a state of conductivity while offering protection against the formation of aluminum oxide, which is an insulator.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Order ID : FLASH-200707010918-333781
Order Date: 01 JUL 2007 09:18:36

Finally bit the bullet, but I forgot to put my CPF handle and
Serial # preference (if it matters) on the order.

So, if they go up that high and available, I'd take either #42 or
#69 for my Gatlight.

On a side note, if we can get a quick run-down on what body parts
are actually in the conductive path, it'd make it easier for me to
figure out how I'm going to anodize mine. :naughty:

~Chip

LumenCraft1

Newly Enlightened
All the aluminum parts in the Gatlight are processed to MIL-DTL-5541, CLASS 3 prior to anodize. This will give us the corrosion protection you are referring to.

Thanks,
Kyle

LumenCraft1

Newly Enlightened
The 3 main body parts (front, middle, rear) are black anodized. The 12 bars are 6al-4v TI. The conductive path is from the knob to the rear frame then to 3 of the 12 bars and finally to the center housing containing the driver.

We understand that some people will want to modify gatlight. However please understand that we will most likely not have any spare parts to sell if they are required. Nearly everything in this light is custom, even the screws. If one of the 24 custom screws is lost or damaged they can only be replaced if we have them available.

Thanks
Kyle

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
From above:
Midweek Status Update:
Making sure that the annodizing doesn't interrupt the electrical path pushed the ETA out a little... into July 4th Holiday which pushed it out more, so our new deadline is July 15th.

jki

Newly Enlightened
Given the care with which these lights have been designed, and the over-the-top efforts to deliver a product that is superior in quality and performance in every way, I can certainly understand the delays in getting these into our hands. I am as eager as anyone to take delivery, but I am confident that when they arrive, all memories of our impatience will vanish in an instant.

LumenCraft1

Newly Enlightened
Let me reassure everyone that the Gatlight fabrication is moving along with excellent results. We have had a few delays but it is primarily because we have told every vendor that quality is our number one priority. We have daily conference calls with each of our vendors to get status updates and resolve any issues that may arise. Every step of our fabrication process is tuned to perfection thru many iterations to be sure that the quality is in line with our expectations. One of those delays has been the anodizing process. We spent a week perfecting the process to give us the best results possible.

The result of this quality auditing process is yielding better results than we ever anticipated.

We appreciate your patients and we eagerly await the conclusion of the first edition of our flagship design.

Regards,
Kyle

hoppy1010

Newly Enlightened
Sweet got to love that V1 one of my all time favorites.
Thanks for posting the pictures so I can drool.:grin2:

Regards Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.