Getting ready for halloween

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There you go then -- take your NUV lights. My NUV Terralux Minimag will be just the ticket, along with something in orange/deep red as well. I'll have my Seoul modded Hokus Fokus in case I do need to really light things up.

One of the things that makes black light so useful for Halloween is that eerie deep purplish glow surrounding the lamp. Even when the lamp isn't illuminating anything fluorescent in it's path, that eerie haze in the air looks ghostly all by itself. Especially from a distance! :huh:

pbs357

Enlightened
Here's a little spin on the topic: what about haunted houses, corn mazes, etc? What are the etiquette on lights in these situations? I mean, the darkness makes it scary and fun, but to me, turning night into day is fun too! What do you guys think? :thinking:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a little spin on the topic: what about haunted houses, corn mazes, etc? What are the etiquette on lights in these situations? I mean, the darkness makes it scary and fun, but to me, turning night into day is fun too! What do you guys think? :thinking:

I'd say a big no as far as haunted houses, it ruins the whole not knowing what is around every corner, unless howerver you mean a "real" haunted house that isn't rigged and is just plain creepy, but I think for those and corn mazes you should just use just enough light to see, like under 30 lumens IMO.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thread guys, I am going to put red tail light repair tape on all the kids flashlights lens to keep in spirit of halloween.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just went on a night corn maze this weekend. the flashlights that other had consisted of some low brightness led handlights, some cell phone leds, some 2d incandescents, one or two led headlamps. most people didn't have anything that was too bright.
if i were you i would test against a mirror to see which light you have can illuminate the ground without causing too much glare in someone's eyes. 50 lumens or less is all you really need because it'll be crowded and you don't need the distance. using red leds is useless because of glare from other people.
towards the end, i ended up using my rayovac headlamp with the diffusor facing almost directly to the ground. got a couple compliments. i started with a mag in flood but it was overkill and mostly fun only for the beamshots in the air aka lightsaber mode.:whistle:

so for me next time probably just a headlamp for 1. low diffused light 2. handfree to hold map and clues gathered in maze 3. if it's cold that night you can keep your hands in your pockets(or gloves i guess). with a l0d backup.

for a nighttime haunted corn maze there is no flashlights permitted for mine. it was pretty lame also.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to a corn maze later this month. I will be packing a Fenix P1D-CE, P1D-CE Q5, LED Lenser and a Mag 2D ROP.

However, I think the experience will be so much better with my Minimag.

Fatvod

Newly Enlightened
A generic grim reaper cloak, some Pink Floyd (Ummagumma album), and a Sam's Club HID. My neighborhood is filled with street lights anyway, so there's not much darkness to ruin.

Thats what my high powered laser pointer is for! If you manage to snipe that little sensor on the top that detects daytime then it shuts off with a satisfying chunk plunging the street into darkness. It really does make a chunk noise which is wierd too. Lasts about 10 minutes.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I picked up some glow bracelets at Target for a buck - a couple attached to my son and his Lumapower LM301 should meet all his needs. I'll probably just stick with the HDS if I need a utility light and have the Strion in my coat pocket for an emergency.