Glow in the Dark Projects and Mods

Skylighter

Enlightened
20K Leagues Under the Sea Glow Nautilus Model

naut3.jpg
naut1.jpg
naut2.jpg

These realistic Nautilus models were made by Craftsman Rob Martin. These are only two of the fleet that can be viewed on his website at: http://www.rc-sub.com . I beleive glow was applied by mixing Ultra Green Glow Powder with glue. Bob tells me that he is currently constructing a new, larger Nautilus with glow.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice stuff! I especially like the Negative mold glass thingie... wow!

Hi Danny, found my way in here. I've read the Darkzero threads and others and I'll see if I can find 2 ton epoxy around, if not, I'll just go for nail polish. I guess white based would be the best (dunno if they put UV filters though, is it written on the label??), but when painted on a black torch, it's too obvious.

I was thinking more of clear nail topcoat (dunno if that will glow well or at all), maybe will try a small amount with my girlfriend's cosmetics.

I might end up painting a strip of sticker and sticking it around my torch? I was also thinking of something like Chrisse's glowring thingie, stuffing some of the GID sand or powder in a small plastic tube and attaching it to the torch one way or another. :)

I was also thinking in line with zespectre's idea of painting the insides of crenelations or the inside of the bezel outside the lens (if it's protruding enough), so that it gets charged everytime the light turns on.

Will post pics and stuff when the powder arrives and if I successfully get anything done!

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a crude paper mock up of what I had in mind for the crenelations. The whole thing would ideally be one piece of GID plastic and could just be slid on or off the light.
A more complex version might have a screw-clamp bit so it could be tightened or expanded to fit different lights.

GlowCuff02.jpg

GlowCuff03.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
LEDcandle, don't bother mixing the powder with regular clear nail polish. It's icky, gets clumpy, dries horribly, etc. Do your wallet a favor, skip the mess and go straight to glowinc's glow paint. It's really easy to use, and its mediums were designed to work together with the glow stuff. No gunky, settling materials, drying nail polish, etc.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
LEDcandle, don't bother mixing the powder with regular clear nail polish. It's icky, gets clumpy, dries horribly, etc. Do your wallet a favor, skip the mess and go straight to glowinc's glow paint. It's really easy to use, and its mediums were designed to work together with the glow stuff. No gunky, settling materials, drying nail polish, etc.

ack, I can't... I'm in Singapore and there was the hazmat warning on the site. I'm sure it could be 'sneaked' to me one way or another, but it's a slight risk?

So I decided to go for the powder and do it over here. :( I would have gone for the paint straight otherwise!

Robban

Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
ack, I can't... I'm in Singapore and there was the hazmat warning on the site.
I came across that problem myself :crackup:
"For international orders of paint, we have a minimum sale requirement of $1000 per order and you should expect shipping costs above $250."

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic containers that Bausch & lomb contacts come in (not the storage cases) make great molds for epoxy + glow powder. Then you can flex and pop out a nice glow "tab" which you can drill a hole and use as a necklace, or lanyard attchament, or marker and glue to a wall/etc. You can epoxy 2 back to back to make a nice uniform one.

You can mix blue with a little aqua to create a brigther glowing blue that still looks pretty much blue. Green tends to be brigthest, but I noticed after time aqua tends to stay brighter than green.... night all. :)

chrisse242

Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
I was also thinking of something like Chrisse's glowring thingie, stuffing some of the GID sand or powder in a small plastic tube and attaching it to the torch one way or another. :)

I've experimented with a few ways to make those tubes, and filling them with a powder/epoxy mix seems to be the best way. Simply filling them with powder doesn't work very good. Only the first layer gets charged this way, a waste of powder and it doesn't glow for long. I think it was skylighter who said it would be better to use sand for this method. Well I had no sand and a lot of powder left, so I went with the mix-method. It works good and you don't have to find a way to close the ends of tube, to make sure the powder/sand doesn't fall out.

Chrisse

Skylighter

Enlightened
Yeah, that was me that suggested sand. Coating the inside of a tube with a thick layer of Ultra Green Paint woud probably work fairly well too for a lightweight version. If I get some time, I might make a bunch of variations and test them against each other.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Rockets

green%20rocket.jpg
collegerocket01.jpg

The green rocket above was the very first prop that we ever made at Glow Inc. It was made before we developed the paint. We used the "dusting" technique to apply the glow. Back then, we used Krylon Crystal Clear to sticky the surface and then dust on the powder. Now to dust, we use 3M's Super 77 Spray Glue.

The blue rocket was done as a university project also using the dusting method.

Presently, both projects could be done better just using the Solvent Based Glow Paints.

More info on glow in the dark rockets can be found at:
http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/rockets.aspx

Skylighter

Enlightened
"Alien Bones" Glow in the Dark Sculpture

AlienBones.jpg

I am leaving this one up to your imagination. Product was Pure Blue Glow Powder.

Artist Steve Foley can be contacted through Layla Taylor [email protected]

"As a student at Syracuse University, Stephen Foley traveled to Haiti with his mentor, cultural anthropologist, Bill Waters. There, Foley taught pit firing techniques, bead making, and pottery processes. He also worked with local craftspeople to help establish fair trade and profit networks with several U.S. businesses. During his teaching stint, Foley's own work became influenced by the local artist and by the traditional artwork of the region. He found a renewed sense of liberation in his sculpted forms, the colors he used became brighter and the pattern work more ornate."

fasuto

Enlightened
Robban said:
I came across that problem myself :crackup:
"For international orders of paint, we have a minimum sale requirement of $1000 per order and you should expect shipping costs above $250."

I bought some powder and paint a few days ago from:
http://www.readysetglo.com/

Slow international shiping, but finally arrives.

Skylighter

Enlightened
The Glow in the Dark Orb

glow_glass.jpg

This is a $2 glass sculpture that I got at a local "Big Lots" Store. It is sitting on top of an ounce of Green Sand. I love the way glow reflects up through the glass.

I am running out of pictures and projects. Let me appeal to the masses of CPF to help me to continue to populate this thread.

Last edited:

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Tron Costume Version 1

glow-tron-day.jpg

Glow in the Dark Tron Costume Version 2

glow-tron.jpg

Both costumes made by Program Paul Baumgaertner aka "BaumSquad" aka "Tron Dude"

You may know him from G4/TechTV's "Screen Savers" or his brother who was on the first season of "Average Joe".

The first costume was made from Zinc Sulfide based Green. You can read all about it at: http://www.tron-sector.com/articles/article.aspx?id=66

The second costume was made with Ultra Blue. To say the least, the photo was heavily enhanced by G4. There are two articles on the TechTV website about him and the costume at:

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/50155/Ten_Minutes_With_the_Tron_Dude.html

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/episodes/3575/PC_Security_Probing_Spy_Gear_TRON_Costume.html

Skylighter

Enlightened
Another Glow in the Dark Tron Costume

tron1.jpg
tron2.jpg
tron3.jpg
tron4.jpg
tron5.jpg

This costume made by Program Steve Ritchey ([email protected]).

Costume made from standard vinyl w/ stretch fabric backing. White Hobby Paint was put down first and covered with Pure Blue Solvent Based Paint.

[Side note: In October 2003, we had so many paint purchases for Tron costumes that we ran out of both Pure Blue and Ultra Blue Paint and Powder early in the month. This year, we didn't hear about Tron once.]

balazer

Enlightened
What frequency of UV light charges glow-in-the-dark materials most effectively? Is it worth it to use UV light at all, instead of white light?